Thread: Lawton...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Lawton...

Is Lawton going to play CF or are they going to move Matsui (or as my gf calls him, Matt Suey) to CF and have Lawton play right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WWalker85
    Is Lawton going to play CF or are they going to move Matsui (or as my gf calls him, Matt Suey) to CF and have Lawton play right?
    Matsui will play center, Lawton left, Sheffield right and Williams will be the DH according to Michael Kay.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very good trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent move for now. Down the road, we shall see, as Berg had a very solid season for Staten Island. But the Yankees drafted several good starting types this year, in addition to Berg. And they had a couple of guys in the GCL from the DOminican who pitched extremly well. So they can afford to trade this guy.Lawton will play left, and he will spell Sheff in RF on occasion, maybe once a week. Sheff needs the time off as we head towards the post-season.

Bottom line. This move, along with the Bellhorn deal, gives Torre more options, which he did not have before. In a few days, Joe will be able to chose from among Bernie, Sierra, Martinez for his DH, on a regular basis. Nice flexibility.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see Berg doing much in the majors. Although he had a pretty good season in SI, he is a bit old to be there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I don't see Berg doing much in the majors. Although he had a pretty good season in SI, he is a bit old to be there.
    It's too early for that. This is the start of his career. I saw him at SI a couple of times. The first time, earlier this season, he was not good. The other times he was very good.

I think the potential is there. How he progresses in the next 2-3 seasons is anyone's guess. But he is a candidate to be "pushed" rapidly in the system, and move up the ladder at a quicker pace then most.

Time will tell.