Thread: unlikely to happen but worth considering.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

unlikely to happen but worth considering.

i dont understand why people keep on insisting on using their cars? if the entire nation decided to unite for a productive pourpose and not use their cars or buy gas and work for a week, I GAURENTEE you that prices for gas will drop dramaticlly. and car companies will also step up their efforts in mass producing non gas cars, which they can do in a heartbeat.... but too many god -dammed contracts with oil companies. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Chip I moved your post to the appropriate forum. Please post in the proper forums. Thank You.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChipShot]i dont understand why people keep on insisting on using their cars? if the entire nation decided to unite for a productive pourpose and not use their cars or buy gas and work for a week, I GAURENTEE you that prices for gas will drop dramaticlly. and car companies will also step up their efforts in mass producing non gas cars, which they can do in a heartbeat.... but too many god -dammed contracts with oil companies. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I love your enthusiasm but a week is very unrealistic.

One day boycott of driving and you could put a dent into the prices but you have to factor in parent that have to drive children to daycare and most people who drive to work cant get there anyother way........

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChipShot]i dont understand why people keep on insisting on using their cars? if the entire nation decided to unite for a productive pourpose and not use their cars or buy gas and work for a week, I GAURENTEE you that prices for gas will drop dramaticlly. and car companies will also step up their efforts in mass producing non gas cars, which they can do in a heartbeat.... but too many god -dammed contracts with oil companies. :yes:[/QUOTE]
    Many of us need our cars to make a living. Do you really expect people to just stop working for a week?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetman67]Many of us need our cars to make a living. Do you really expect people to just stop working for a week?[/QUOTE]
    How much do you want to bet he doesn't need his car for work?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the same way you refuse to use spellcheck. How about actually looking into why the supply is making prices rise and everyone has agreed that is a lack of refineries that is the main problem.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChipShot]i dont understand
    QUOTE]

So true, so true....

Let's assume that somehow what you propose happens. Once prices become lower, what do you think will happen to consumption then? Gimmicks are not long-term solutions. What we are seeing is a paradigm shift in oil prices, led by a dramatic shift in demand. Two 1.2 billion goliaths are each entering the markets and driving up demand. China alone is responsible for 40% of the increase in global demand for oil. As India and other countries modernize, they compete with us for scarce resources like oil. As demand for scarce resources goes up, prices move up accordingly. Oil has a lot of price elasticity since it is a staple consumer product...a necessity, if you will. Why not ask airlines to stop flying, or people to stop heating their homes and schools in the winter, too?

The record margins currently enjoyed by oil companies are going to attract competition. The profits made are going to make exploratory drilling, even off-shore drilling, profitable. Hopefully, as has happened many times during the past 30 years, more drilling will mean more discoveries, and the known reserves of oil will increase as they have been consistently for the past few decades.

As people become fed up with high prices, they will make decisions...perhaps moving closer to cities, buying smaller homes and cars, or more fuel-efficient ones. If these things are more in demand, supplierswill increase supply to meet it. The market will adjust, as it always does, by the beautiful, astounding method of millions of people acting freely according to what is important to them. As people seek alternative sources of energy, companies will realize the profit potential of throwing R&D behind it. Hopefully the government will be smart enough to help that along.

The worst thing, the absolute worst thing the government can do is try to cap oil prices or institute some kind of "solution" to this "crisis." They should just leave it alone.