Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rev Al joins Sheehan in the ditch...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Rev Al joins Sheehan in the ditch...

CRAWFORD, Texas - The Rev. Al Sharpton joined hundreds of war protesters outside President Bush's ranch for an interfaith service Sunday, saying he felt compelled to meet Cindy Sheehan, the grieving mother who started the rally three weeks earlier.

Sheehan had arrived in Bush's hometown on Aug. 6 and refused to leave until she could question the president about the war that has killed more than 1,870 U.S. service members, including her 24-year-old son, Casey.

As her vigil drew attention, it also drew crowds, with some people joining her camp, celebrities stopping by to lend her their support, and Bush supporters heading for Crawford to protest the protesters.

On Sunday, Sharpton joined Sheehan in laying roses at crosses near "Camp Casey,"

"I feel that it is our moral obligation to stand and to be courageous with these families, and particularly Cindy, that have become the conscience of this nation," said Sharpton, an activist and former Democratic presidential candidate.

Actor Martin Sheen, who portrays the Democratic president on NBC's "The West Wing," also met with Sheehan and spoke to a crowd of more than 300.

"At least you've got the acting president of the United States," the actor said. "I think you know what I do for a living, but this is what I do to stay alive."

Several cars with pro-Bush signs drove slowly down the road by the protest campsite. One man was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly shoving an anti-war demonstrator, McLennan County sheriff's deputies said.

Amid all the comings and goings around Camp Casey on Sunday, peace activists Genevieve Van Cleve and Peter Ravella got married.

The aisle was strewn with hay, and the crowd hummed "Here Comes the Bride."

"This is meaningful. This has substance," said Van Cleve, 34, of Austin. "We completely support what they're doing, and we just wanted to add whatever love, fidelity, loyalty and honor that we could."

After the war protest ends Wednesday and Sheehan packs up camp, the anti-war group plans to spread its message on a bus tour, with the first stop likely in the southeast Texas district of U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

Bush has said he appreciates Sheehan's right to protest and sympathizes with her, but his aides have said there are no plans to change his schedule to meet with her.

Sheehan and other grieving families met with Bush about two months after her son died last year, before she became a vocal opponent of the war.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/atomicconspiracy/MamaMoonbatAndAl-1.jpg [/IMG]

Cindy Sheehan, left, holds Rev. Al Sharpton's hand, center, as Evan Bright reaches over to comfort her as they lay roses at the crosses at Camp Casey 2 near President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, Sunday, Aug. 28, 2005. Both women lost their sons in the war in Iraq. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

.....of course, when we look at the big picture the MSM won't report:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/atomicconspiracy/MamaMoonbatAndAl-2.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is good news for Republicans. Keep the Democratic party divided. Divide them as far apart as possible.

Donate to moveon.org.

Seriously!

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    The Reverend Al-Vis showed up where there's a camera crew? What a surprise that is.

I can't believe he beat the Rearend Jesse JackAss to it.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New England Hick]The Reverend Al-Vis showed up where there's a camera crew? What a surprise that is.

I can't believe he beat the Rearend Jesse JackAss to it.....[/QUOTE]

That's cause Rev Jess was standing up for an American-hater/terrorist supporter:

[B]Jess Jackson offers support to Chavez: Robertson assassination call 'criminal,' he says[/B]

Sunday, August 28, 2005; Posted: 2:19 p.m. EDT (18:19 GMT)

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson offered support for Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Sunday, saying a recent call for his assassination was a criminal act and the United States and Venezuela should work out their differences through diplomacy.

The U.S. civil rights leader condemned last week's suggestion by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson that American agents should kill leftist Chavez, calling the conservative commentator's statements "immoral" and "illegal."

Jackson urged U.S. authorities to take action, and said the U.S. government must choose "diplomacy over any threats of sabotage or isolation or assassination."

"We must choose a civilized policy of rational conversation," he said at a news conference.

Chavez, a self-styled "revolutionary," has repeatedly accused U.S. President George W. Bush's government of planning to overthrow him. He warned on Friday that some American leaders have considered killing him.

U.S. officials have repeatedly denied such claims.

Robertson's comments last week have stoked tense relations between Caracas and Washington. He called for Chavez's assassination on his TV show "The 700 Club," saying the United States should "take him out" because the Venezuelan leader poses a danger to the region.

Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a supporter of Bush's re-election bid, later issued an apology.(Full story)

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission "must prohibit such threats on the airwaves," said Jackson, who arrived Saturday for a visit along with members of his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

"I hope the FCC does not remain silent regarding what Robertson said," Jackson added.

Representatives of the U.S. government have expressed concern that Chavez and his close ally, Cuban leader Fidel Castro, are fomenting instability in Latin America. Chavez and Castro deny it, instead blaming the United States for consistently meddling in the affairs of Latin nations.

In a speech to Venezuela's National Assembly, Jackson said every country has a right to self-determination, and touched on subjects from poverty to Martin Luther King Jr.'s role in the civil rights struggle of American blacks.

"Though our histories are burdensome with pain and often bitter memories, we must have the strength to get ahead and not just get even," Jackson said to a rousing applause from Venezuelan lawmakers.

He said he planned to meet Chavez and Venezuelan opposition leaders, who accuse the president of becoming increasingly authoritarian.

Chavez accuses his political foes, including business and labor groups, of trying to force him from office by any means possible.

Since taking office in 1999, Chavez has survived a 2002 coup, a 2003 strike and a recall referendum last year. He is up for re-election next year, and recent polls suggest he has a 70-percent approval rating.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]CRAWFORD, Texas - The Rev. Al Sharpton joined hundreds of war protesters outside President Bush's ranch for an interfaith service Sunday, saying he felt compelled to meet Cindy Sheehan, the grieving mother who started the rally three weeks earlier.

Sheehan had arrived in Bush's hometown on Aug. 6 and refused to leave until she could question the president about the war that has killed more than 1,870 U.S. service members, including her 24-year-old son, Casey.

As her vigil drew attention, it also drew crowds, with some people joining her camp, celebrities stopping by to lend her their support, and Bush supporters heading for Crawford to protest the protesters.

On Sunday, Sharpton joined Sheehan in laying roses at crosses near "Camp Casey,"

"I feel that it is our moral obligation to stand and to be courageous with these families, and particularly Cindy, that have become the conscience of this nation," said Sharpton, an activist and former Democratic presidential candidate.

Actor Martin Sheen, who portrays the Democratic president on NBC's "The West Wing," also met with Sheehan and spoke to a crowd of more than 300.

"At least you've got the acting president of the United States," the actor said. "I think you know what I do for a living, but this is what I do to stay alive."

Several cars with pro-Bush signs drove slowly down the road by the protest campsite. One man was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly shoving an anti-war demonstrator, McLennan County sheriff's deputies said.

Amid all the comings and goings around Camp Casey on Sunday, peace activists Genevieve Van Cleve and Peter Ravella got married.

The aisle was strewn with hay, and the crowd hummed "Here Comes the Bride."

"This is meaningful. This has substance," said Van Cleve, 34, of Austin. "We completely support what they're doing, and we just wanted to add whatever love, fidelity, loyalty and honor that we could."

After the war protest ends Wednesday and Sheehan packs up camp, the anti-war group plans to spread its message on a bus tour, with the first stop likely in the southeast Texas district of U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

Bush has said he appreciates Sheehan's right to protest and sympathizes with her, but his aides have said there are no plans to change his schedule to meet with her.

Sheehan and other grieving families met with Bush about two months after her son died last year, before she became a vocal opponent of the war.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/atomicconspiracy/MamaMoonbatAndAl-1.jpg [/IMG]

Cindy Sheehan, left, holds Rev. Al Sharpton's hand, center, as Evan Bright reaches over to comfort her as they lay roses at the crosses at Camp Casey 2 near President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, Sunday, Aug. 28, 2005. Both women lost their sons in the war in Iraq. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

.....of course, when we look at the big picture the MSM won't report:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/atomicconspiracy/MamaMoonbatAndAl-2.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

because we all know that when the news is on that every time they always show the cameras that they are using to broadcast the event, or interview somebody, whatever the case may be.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    when Reverend Al joins your cause that's like the kiss of death. Martin Sheen is a good man though. Im sure this crew will pan him as a liberal scumbag but I've always thought he was an honest upstanding person.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]when Reverend Al joins your cause that's like the kiss of death. Martin Sheen is a good man though. Im sure this crew will pan him as a liberal scumbag but I've always thought he was an honest upstanding person.[/QUOTE]

He's very partisan, bit, and tried to use his fame for the good of one party. Another Hollyweirdo that thinks people should listen to him - why? because he's well versed in politics and foreign relations? umm, no. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]That's cause Rev Jess was standing up for an American-hater/terrorist supporter:

[B]Jess Jackson offers support to Chavez: Robertson assassination call 'criminal,' he says[/B]

Sunday, August 28, 2005; Posted: 2:19 p.m. EDT (18:19 GMT)

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson offered support for Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Sunday, saying a recent call for his assassination was a criminal act and the United States and Venezuela should work out their differences through diplomacy.

The U.S. civil rights leader condemned last week's suggestion by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson that American agents should kill leftist Chavez, calling the conservative commentator's statements "immoral" and "illegal."

Jackson urged U.S. authorities to take action, and said the U.S. government must choose "diplomacy over any threats of sabotage or isolation or assassination."

"We must choose a civilized policy of rational conversation," he said at a news conference.

Chavez, a self-styled "revolutionary," has repeatedly accused U.S. President George W. Bush's government of planning to overthrow him. He warned on Friday that some American leaders have considered killing him.

U.S. officials have repeatedly denied such claims.

Robertson's comments last week have stoked tense relations between Caracas and Washington. He called for Chavez's assassination on his TV show "The 700 Club," saying the United States should "take him out" because the Venezuelan leader poses a danger to the region.

Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a supporter of Bush's re-election bid, later issued an apology.(Full story)

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission "must prohibit such threats on the airwaves," said Jackson, who arrived Saturday for a visit along with members of his Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.

"I hope the FCC does not remain silent regarding what Robertson said," Jackson added.

Representatives of the U.S. government have expressed concern that Chavez and his close ally, Cuban leader Fidel Castro, are fomenting instability in Latin America. Chavez and Castro deny it, instead blaming the United States for consistently meddling in the affairs of Latin nations.

In a speech to Venezuela's National Assembly, Jackson said every country has a right to self-determination, and touched on subjects from poverty to Martin Luther King Jr.'s role in the civil rights struggle of American blacks.

"Though our histories are burdensome with pain and often bitter memories, we must have the strength to get ahead and not just get even," Jackson said to a rousing applause from Venezuelan lawmakers.

He said he planned to meet Chavez and Venezuelan opposition leaders, who accuse the president of becoming increasingly authoritarian.

Chavez accuses his political foes, including business and labor groups, of trying to force him from office by any means possible.

Since taking office in 1999, Chavez has survived a 2002 coup, a 2003 strike and a recall referendum last year. He is up for re-election next year, and recent polls suggest he has a 70-percent approval rating.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.[/QUOTE]

I should have known Jesse was off cavorting with the enemy.... My bad...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]He's very partisan, bit, and tried to use his fame for the good of one party. Another Hollyweirdo that thinks people should listen to him - why? because he's well versed in politics and foreign relations? umm, no. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

that might be of import to YOU... a dyed in the wool Republican trained to hate anyone who doesn't agree with your party's ideals -

I however as an independent can look at a person slighlty more objectively and say whether I like him or not, based on his character not purely on his political belief system.

Martin Sheen, political biases aside, always seemed to me to be a nice person, an upstanding man. Someone that would be an asset in a foxhole.

Does he use his fame for political purposes? yes but that's not my concern. It's your concern. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]that might be of import to YOU... a dyed in the wool Republican trained to hate anyone who doesn't agree with your party's ideals -

I however as an independent can look at a person slighlty more objectively and say whether I like him or not, based on his character not purely on his political belief system.

Martin Sheen, political biases aside, always seemed to me to be a nice person, an upstanding man. Someone that would be an asset in a foxhole.

Does he use his fame for political purposes? yes but that's not my concern. It's your concern. :D[/QUOTE]

You're description of yourself is telling...

Hilarious, but telling.

you must have great personal knowledge of Martin Sheen, the man to know what a nice person he is.

Either that or you just agree with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]You're description of yourself is telling...

Hilarious, but telling.

you must have great personal knowledge of Martin Sheen, the man to know what a nice person he is.

Either that or you just agree with him.[/QUOTE]

Piper you have never seen someone in the movies or on TV and thought they were a quality person purely from that impression? That's all I'm saying. You can rip the politics but it's not the same as ripping the man. Martin Sheen strikes me as a positive, intelligent individual.

What I agree with isn't relevant, especially in the light that I also ripped Sharpton on this thread. By your logic since we "agree" politically on certain issues I have to love fat Al too!

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Sharpton Driver Pulled Over Doing 110
    After Sheenhan Visit

Monday, August 29, 2005

CRAWFORD, Texas — A driver for the Rev. Al Sharpton (search) led Ellis County Sheriff's deputies on a nine-mile chase at speeds up to 110 mph before state troopers stopped the car, authorities said.

The driver was rushing Sharpton to the airport after his visit anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan (search) on Sunday at her camp outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford.

The car carrying Sharpton and two other passengers was clocked doing 110 mph in a 65 mph zone on Interstate 35 in Ellis County in North Texas, said Lt. Danny Williams.

The car ignored deputies' attempts to stop it and continued speeding and weaving in and out of traffic before it was stopped, Williams said.

Calls Monday to Sharpton's spokeswoman were not immediately returned. A spokesman for his attorney, Michael Hardy, referred inquiries to the spokeswoman.

Deputies arrested Jarrett Barton Maupin (search), 43, of Phoenix. Maupin told the officers he was hurrying to get Sharpton to the airport. Deputies impounded the rented 2005 Lincoln.

Williams said his officers offered Sharpton and the other, unidentified passengers a ride to a hotel across the highway, but they declined and walked there instead.

Maupin posted a total of $1,000 in bonds on charges of evading arrest with a vehicle and reckless driving.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Piper you have never seen someone in the movies or on TV and thought they were a quality person purely from that impression? That's all I'm saying. You can rip the politics but it's not the same as ripping the man. Martin Sheen strikes me as a positive, intelligent individual.

What I agree with isn't relevant, especially in the light that I also ripped Sharpton on this thread. By your logic since we "agree" politically on certain issues I have to love fat Al too![/QUOTE]

LOL. I don't think anyone would admit to loving fat Al, but thanks for the laugh.

As for TV personalities, I find any of them who use their celebrity to push political views inconsistent with the respect you assign Sheen.

Maybe I just don't watch the right talk shows.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/atomicconspiracy/MamaMoonbatAndAl-1.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/atomicconspiracy/MamaMoonbatAndAl-2.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    Ha! That's hysterical.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]
    Maybe I just don't watch the right talk shows.[/QUOTE]

Did you see apocalpyse now? Martin Sheen is the type of guy that could be President, if the democratic party had any balls or even original ideas.

Sheen's obviously a little old for that now but the republicans take great actors like Reagan and Ah-nold and turn them into political giants all the time. Don King was trumping for Bush in the streets he's a real great man too. :rolleyes:

To be honest I am just as disgusted with the Democrats as I am with the Republicans, maybe more so because they are so worthless as a group. The GOP trots out arnold and the DNC trots out Teddy Kennedy? just disgusting.

There needs to be a viable third party in this country. There might be enough brilliant political minds around the JI message board that we could form a platform. We get someone to tap Rudy Guiliani, put him in a hat hunting animals and the new Bull Moose party is formed. Bada bing bada boom. 2 party Democracy sucks when the whole thing is run by one party. It becomes a bit of a facsism at that point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    bit - you make judgements of actors based on the [I]roles[/I] they play?! :eek:
    You can't be serious - its acting. Does that mean that any actor that ever played Jesus or a saint is somehow holier or a better person than you? I thought it meant they bore some resemblance to the person portrayed and could act.

I think your giddiness over Ben Graham is making you light-headed, but I can sympathize. ;)

AS for being trained to hate - I would say I'm probably more tolerant than you except when it comes to stupid or lazy people: they should be beat with a stick with a rusty nail on the end. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]bit - you make judgements of actors based on the [I]roles[/I] they play?! :eek: [/QUOTE]

Regardless of politics, morals etc - charisma and likeability are unmistakable.

Arnold and Reagan have charisma. To a lesser extent so does Martin Sheen. that's all i'm saying. It is possible to admire a man for his charisma, but I guess that only goes for you guys when that man agrees with your politics. I'm sure if we were talking about Ronald Reagan's character in the movies transferring to the real world you'd have no problem making that connection. But because Martin Sheen is a liberal you play dumb. Whatever.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Sheen's obviously a little old for that now but the republicans take great actors like Reagan and Ah-nold and turn them into political giants all the time. Don King was trumping for Bush in the streets he's a real great man too. :rolleyes:
    [/QUOTE]

This is maybe one of the goofyist statements I have seen in a long time. Do you realize that Reagan was a Democrat when he became politiaclly active? Do you also realize that he turned the Republican party on it's ear because he had his own message an philosophy which ran counter to many Republicans (certainly the conservatives)?

And you lump him in as some creation of the GOP.

Unbelieveable.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]This is maybe one of the goofyist statements I have seen in a long time. Do you realize that Reagan was a Democrat when he became politiaclly active? Do you also realize that he turned the Republican party on it's ear because he had his own message an philosophy which ran counter to many Republicans (certainly the conservatives)?

Unbelieveable.[/QUOTE]

not only that- Reagan was not a "great" actor- he was a marginal "B" actor at best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]This is maybe one of the goofyist statements I have seen in a long time. Do you realize that Reagan was a Democrat when he became politiaclly active? Do you also realize that he turned the Republican party on it's ear because he had his own message an philosophy which ran counter to many Republicans (certainly the conservatives)?

Unbelieveable.[/QUOTE]

when he was first politically active he was a minor figure. the GOP turned reagan into a political giant.

My point is that the GOP has no problem finding and using people with natural charisma. the democrats seem to go out of their way to find the least likeable people on the planet, and put these people up for office. See fat a$$ Hillary for the latest example of this loser-politics.