Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh no...oh me...oh my..."Global warming" on Mars??

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Oh no...oh me...oh my..."Global warming" on Mars??

[B]Global Warming on Mars? [/B]

A study of the ice caps on Mars may show that the red planet is experiencing a warming trend.

After decades of thinking that the ice caps on Mars were mostly carbon dioxide (dry ice), planetary geologists are starting to think that those caps may be mostly fresh water ice instead.

Caltech planetary scientists have been keeping a close eye on the dozens of deep, wide pits in the southern martian ice caps. These pits have been growing larger every year, but they never get any deeper.

[url]http://www.mos.org/cst/article/80/9.html[/url]

The scientists believe this means that there is a layer of dry ice that is evaporating off of a thicker layer of water ice. The yearly increases in evaporation may be caused by a global warming trend happening on Mars.

If both Mars and Earth are experiencing global warming, then perhaps there is a larger phenomenon going on in the Solar System that is causing their global climates to change.

Cool. A natural warming of Mars makes future colonization easier, especially if we get into terraforming it to a point where artificial life-support is not required.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Tell those darn Martians to stop buying SUV (Space Utility Vehicles). They're guzzlers man.

So how many minutes till someone (likely a Liberal) tries to claim the warming is caused by the NASA probes we've sent up there??

Lets see....

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY][B]Global Warming on Mars? [/B]

A study of the ice caps on Mars may show that the red planet is experiencing a warming trend.

After decades of thinking that the ice caps on Mars were mostly carbon dioxide (dry ice), planetary geologists are starting to think that those caps may be mostly fresh water ice instead.

Caltech planetary scientists have been keeping a close eye on the dozens of deep, wide pits in the southern martian ice caps. These pits have been growing larger every year, but they never get any deeper.

[url]http://www.mos.org/cst/article/80/9.html[/url]

The scientists believe this means that there is a layer of dry ice that is evaporating off of a thicker layer of water ice. The yearly increases in evaporation may be caused by a global warming trend happening on Mars.

If both Mars and Earth are experiencing global warming, then perhaps there is a larger phenomenon going on in the Solar System that is causing their global climates to change.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://images.allposters.com/images/ATA/21501BP.jpg[/IMG]
    [SIZE=6][B]Now someone will make
    me ride a bicycle to work.

This will make destroying the
    Earth much more difficult.[/B][/SIZE]

this article is based on what science? link?

if it's from newsmax or some other slog, it's in direct response to Katrina.

Even the dullest of red state voters tend to be convinced by disasters of nature. It doesn't take a meterologist to figure out global warming. It just takes a natural friggin disaster for people to start to be concerned.

by the way I did a google news search - 150 current stories linking "Global Warming" and "Katrina"

google web search between "hurricane" and "global warming"???

405,000 results. must be junk science, lets talk about mars! hardy harr harr

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]this article is based on what science? link?

Even the dullest of red state voters tend to be convinced by disasters of nature. It doesn't take a meterologist to figure out global warming. It just takes a natural friggin disaster for people to start to be concerned.

by the way I did a google news search - 150 current stories linking "Global Warming" and "Katrina"

405,000 results. must be junk science, lets talk about mars! hardy harr harr[/QUOTE]

the link is in the story....but you must read the story and not just the title. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

405,000 results. must be junk science, lets talk about mars! hardy harr harr[/QUOTE]
    Questioning the source?

How very 'neocon' of you

Jets Insider VIP
    Ok - I must...do...this......can't....hold....back....

But how are things going on Uranus?

*laughing hysterically now*
    :D

this article was originally printed

[url]http://www.mos.org/cst/article/80/9.html[/url] • Monday, 22 November 2004, 4:51am GMT

maybe earlier. How weird that you read it this week. Must be a strange coincedence.

Hall Of Fame

I googled "santa claus" and there were over a million results - he just be real!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I googled "santa claus" and there were over a million results - he just be real!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

good stuff 5 :shoot:

so no one else thinks it's odd that this article, nearly a year old, would manifest itself on this board the day after a global warming fueled natural disaster?

NAAAH must just be coincidence.

I want to know where this was linked from. Someone in a conservative blog somewhere thought this was relevant, don't tell me some bulls--t that you were just happen to browsing the Museum of Science Archives.

[QUOTE]Katrina Conceit
    Global warming and Mother Nature.
    Rich Lowry

If cable TV had existed in 1886, everyone in the U.S. might have been whipped into a hurricane panic. A record seven hurricanes made landfall that year, including a Category 4 storm that hit Texas and would have had on-the-spot cable newscasters dramatically fighting the wind to deliver their reports. All during the 1890s, reporters could have done the same along the Atlantic seaboard, as it was hammered by more powerful hurricanes than it would be in any decade except the 1950s.

Hurricane Katrina, which slammed the Gulf Coast and got eyewall-to-eyewall media coverage, is sure to increase the sense that there is an epidemic of hurricanes (along, of course, with an epidemic of shark attacks and missing blond girls). Which inevitably raises the question: "What can we do about it?" For some scientists and activists — working on the assumption that anything they don't like must be caused by industrial emissions — the answer is stop global warming.

There is hardly an undesirable natural event, from wildfires to hurricanes, that former Vice President Al Gore hasn't blamed on global warming. As if it weren't for fossil-fuel emissions, the weather would always be predictable and pleasant. An outfit called Scientists and Engineers for Change put up a billboard in Florida before last year's presidential election stating it starkly: "Global warming = Worse hurricanes. George Bush just doesn't get it." Ah, yes: Why are Bush and the neocons focused on the war in Iraq, when there is a very real threat to the U.S. they should be addressing in the waters of the Atlantic?

Has global warming increased the frequency of hurricanes? One of the nation's foremost hurricane experts, William Gray, points out that if global warming is at work, cyclones should be increasing not just in the Atlantic but elsewhere, in the West Pacific, East Pacific, and the Indian Ocean. They aren't. The number of cyclones per year worldwide fluctuates pretty steadily between 80 and 100. There's actually been a small overall decline in tropical cyclones since 1995, and Atlantic hurricanes declined from 1970 to 1994, even as the globe was heating up.

It seems that Atlantic hurricanes come in spurts, or as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration puts it in more technical language, "a quasi-cyclic multi-decade regime that alternates between active and quiet phases." The late 1920s through the 1960s were active; the 1970s to early 1990s quiet; and since 1995 — as anyone living in Florida or Gulfport, Miss., can tell you — seems to be another active phase.

But if hurricanes aren't more frequent, are they more powerful? Warm water fuels hurricanes, so the theory is that as the ocean's surface heats up, hurricanes will pack more punch. An article in Nature — after questionable jiggering with the historical wind data — argues that hurricanes have doubled in strength because of global warming. Climatologist Patrick Michaels counters that if hurricanes had doubled in their power it would be obvious to everyone and there would be no need to write controversial papers about it.

Indeed, if you adjust for population growth and skyrocketing property values, hurricanes don't appear to be any more destructive today. According to the work of Roger Pielke of the University of Colorado, of the top five most destructive storms this century, only one occurred after 1950 — Hurricane Andrew in 1992. An NOAA analysis says there have been fewer Category 4 storms throughout the past 35 years than would have been expected given 20th-century averages.

None of this data matters particularly, since proponents of global warming will continue to link warming with hurricanes. It generates headlines in a way that debates about tiny increments of warming don't. And it feeds a conceit that is oddly comforting: that whatever is wrong with the world is caused by us and fixable by us. Alas, it's not so. Mother Nature can be a cruel and unpredictable mistress, and sometimes all we can do is head for the high ground.

[/QUOTE]
    Here's a good article I read yesterday about the topic. I can't see any reason to blame global warming on this. It's sad but these things happen and always have. That's life.

OK CBTNY, this is the point where you blame Katrina on Clinton..

[QUOTE=bitonti]so no one else thinks it's odd that this article, nearly a year old, would manifest itself on this board the day after a global warming fueled natural disaster?

NAAAH must just be coincidence.

I want to know where this was linked from. Someone in a conservative blog somewhere thought this was relevant, don't tell me some bulls--t that you were just happen to browsing the Museum of Science Archives.[/QUOTE]

Hurricanes never existed before the combustible engine????

All League
    [url="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/10/eveningnews/main770044.shtml"]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/10/eveningnews/main770044.shtml[/url]

[font=Arial][b][size=5]Red Planet Turning Green?
    [/size][/b][size=1]August 10, 2005[/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Sans][size=2]There’s a new mission to Mars. But we’re not talking about cute little robot rovers anymore.

[b]CBS News Correspondent Jerry Bowen[/b] reports on a plan to turn the Red Planet into a [i]green[/i] one – one that could support life.

"What we propose is to use greenhouse gases – the same ones that are currently on the earth causing climate change," said [url="javascript:vlaunch('clip=/media/2005/08/10/video770046.rm&sec=205&vidId=205&title=BringingLifeToMars&hitboxMLC=tech');"][color=#0000ff]Margarita Marinova[/color][/url], a graduate student at the California Institute of Technology.

That's right. Earthlings are thinking of using the same toxic stuff already blamed for global warming here to put some life back on Mars.

Marinova says that the goal is to warm Mars enough so that the planet’s south polar cap will evaporate.

Ever since Hollywood directors started yelling “Action!” B-grade science fiction thrillers have depicted a warmer, livable Mars.

Marinova hopes to turn those fictional accounts into reality. She has co-authored a NASA study that says it’s doable – even if it's not understandable.

As Marinova explains it, the devil’s in the details. And the little devil’s name is octafluoropropane.

"This is our favorite molecule,” Marinova said.

Octafluoropropane is a really nasty greenhouse gas that is the by-product of circuit board production on Earth. It is so powerful that in Mars’ thin atmosphere, it would really pack a punch.

"Once we have a colony on Mars, they'll be having their own production and it'll be easy for them to produce these greenhouse gases," Marinova said.

It would take hundreds of years but eventually ice sheets would melt, grass would grow here, and temperatures would hit 50 degrees along the equator of the planet. Martian organisms might be revived too – if there are any.

The idea has made headlines worldwide – from Marinova's birthplace in Bulgaria to Beijing – raising questions of whether it’s right to fool with Martian nature.

But Margarita Marinova has no doubts – and she's got even more plans.

“I certainly hope to be one of the first people on Mars,” she said.

Marinova would be the Red Planet’s very own weather woman. She doesn't forecast it – she makes it. [/size][/font]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]I googled "santa claus" and there were over a million results - he just be real!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I'm going to take this to the next level, and I hope all of you will help out:

quantum and Salma Hayak are doing the horizontal hokey-pokey; the nekkid mambo; playing hide the baloney.

Post this all over the Net, as much as you can. Thanks.

Global warming exists, yes. But isn't it a completely natural occurance? Isn't it a continuous cycle?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Enrique Pallazzo]Global warming exists, yes. But isn't it a completely natural occurance? Isn't it a continuous cycle?[/QUOTE]

No, silly. It's because of SUV's. Even Fred Flintstone had one. Of course Barney had a much more efficient vehicle. His log was lighter and smaller than Fred's stone machine. That's how he scored Betty. ;)