Thread: Looting

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Looting

Is this just because of human nature, or is there something in our society that tells people this is OK. What is the difference between what is taking place here, and what happened when Iraq was liberated from Saddam's rule? The Iraqis lives were at stake every day, what is the excuse here. I'm not talking about taking milk that is going to spoil to feed your kid, I'm talking about carts full of stolen goods that have nothing to do with survival.

It will unfortunately trivialize the pain that people are experiencing in LA, MS, and AL right now, especially with cops joining in.

Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005 10:21 a.m. EDT
    New Orleans Cops Join in Looting

A handful of police in hurricane-ravaged New Orleans joined with looters yesterday in cleaning out store shelves and pilfering merchandise that had nothing to do with survival.

While the overwhelming majority of Big Easy cops were performing admirably under staggeringly difficult circumstances, an NBC camera crew filming looters at a local Walmart captured two policewomen filling a shopping cart to the brim with shoes.

Asked what she was doing, one of the unidentified officers told reporter Martin Savidge: "I'm just doing my job" - before abandoning her shopping cart to resume her patrol. Her partner apparently continued looting unfazed by NBC's presence.
    The New Orleans Times-Picayune also carried reports of police looting, noting in Wednesday editions:

"Some officers joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop who loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat screen television. Officers claimed there was nothing they could do to contain the anarchy, saying their radio communications had broken down and they had no direction from commanders."

"We don't have enough cops to stop it," one beleagured cop told the paper. "A mass riot would break out if you tried."

While smaller merchants guarded their storefronts with shotguns, others made excuses for the lawlessness.

"To be honest with you, people who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society," a bystander told the New York Post.

Some New Orleans residents were less sanguine about the deteriorating civil order.

"You know what sucks," one local tavern owner told the Times-Picayune. "The whole U.S. is looking at this city right now, and this is what they see."

not to sound blaze but looting is the last of New Orleans worries. From everything I've heard the Big Easy will be under water for 3-4 months minimum.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

In the big picture you are right Bit, NOLA is ruined.
    It doesn't make sense what these people are doing, it's not like they can go plug in their new stolen flat screen TV.

Re: Looting

Maybe I'm a bad person ... but to be honest ... I was researching for charities to donate money (re: Katrina damage) ... but after seeing all the looting on tv (where they were stealing stuff besides food and water) ... I don't feel like donating money to the relief cause anymore (and I realize it is only a subset of the population ... but the whole looting thing bothers me ... the attitude of the people doing it)

That is just the way I feel on it right now (maybe that will change) ... and maybe that makes me a bad person or something

[QUOTE=jetswin]In the big picture you are right Bit, NOLA is ruined.
    It doesn't make sense what these people are doing, it's not like they can go plug in their new stolen flat screen TV.[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=inchadwetrust]Maybe I'm a bad person ... but to be honest ... I was researching for charities to donate money (re: Katrina damage) ... but after seeing all the looting on tv (where they were stealing stuff besides food and water) ... I don't feel like donating money to the relief cause anymore (and I realize it is only a subset of the population ... but the whole looting thing bothers me ... the attitude of the people doing it)

That is just the way I feel on it right now (maybe that will change) ... and maybe that makes me a bad person or something[/QUOTE]

You gotta put things you see on T.V. in perspective bro....

In one shot you got people looting Plasma T.V. in a town that's inhabitable.....In another shot you have a man holding his two children in his hands after they've lost everything they had, including their mother.

The material holds no value at this point. Give if you can.......

well ... after my lunchtime ride (listener to rush limbaugh) ... I have come around that I will donate ...

The looting scenes just kind of burned me ... had to have some time to "get over" it.

[QUOTE=TerryBadway]You gotta put things you see on T.V. in perspective bro....

In one shot you got people looting Plasma T.V. in a town that's inhabitable.....In another shot you have a man holding his two children in his hands after they've lost everything they had, including their mother.

The material holds no value at this point. Give if you can.......[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I plan on giving as well, if anyone else donated to the Tsumani causes this should be an automatic.

I'm just not sure who to donate to...Red Cross? Fema? someone else? I want it to go directly to those most affected.

Looting food and water to survive = okay
    Looting other stuff = bad

Jets Insider VIP
    When I first saw that stuff like tv's were being taken too, I thought that this was now greed. But under these circumstances when nothing you own may be left and you can't afford to replace things-- put that together with despair; panic and I find it easier to sympathize. What a mess

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

It would not surprise me if at sometime in the future those who took food and water from stores in order to survive go back and offer to pay the store owners....taking appliances and electronics is uncalled for...

Regardless- these are Americans who need help, which is the bottom line.

Jets Insider VIP
    Saw the "oppressed" line in the paper this morning; also saw a line from a cop: "Food and water I can understand, but what do these people need with Nikes right now?"

You'll always get a percentage of the population that acts like this: like they're owed something; life's treated them poorly; they want it so they take it. They revert back to an uncivilized version of homo sapiens. The cops that caught doing it should be fired immediately.