Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Err America's Randi Rodent: Proving once again how classy liberals are...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Err America's Randi Rodent: Proving once again how classy liberals are...

I was listening to Err America's Randi Rodent show to hear her reaction to the hurricane and I must say....she did not dissapoint.

Short of actually saying it- the fault of the hurricane and its' aftermath falls squarely on the shoulders of President Bush (talking points I'm sure libs like bitonti and the rest will be parrotting the coming weeks)....

-The governor of Lousiana is doing a great job but Haley Barbour of Mississippi?? A terrible job (of course Barbour is a Republican)...

-No one cares about this except for a rat congressman from La and its' governor.

-President Bush is upset this did not happen in a blue state.

- it is the fault of coporate airlines that many of the people were stranded as they refused to fly out of NO and Biloxi on Sunday morning even though the conditions permitted....further, President Bush should've called the airlines and told them to continue to fly...

-the President should be in Louisiana now (mind you I watched Haley Barbour on Larry King last night and the Mississippi governor said he spoke with President Bush three times on Tuesday and the President was ready to fly to the area yet Gov Barbour told him not to as the situation was not in hand).

-President Bush had no clue this was going to happen cause he does not read newspapers (mind you, even dim politicians from the area were grateful the President declared an emergency early Sunday before the storm hit as it allowed them to do certain things).

- Were Clinton in office his reaction would be completely different (now I know that is open for interpretation but if memory serves me correct clinton never visited the WTC after the '93 bombings....sackdance or Jetcane may know better).

and of course the creme-de la-creme of lib class....

-instead of having the Army band fly to NO (which she claims GWB is doing) he should invite Robert Plant down to sing.....

and of course, in the background, that compassionate, tolerant lib radio station Err America plays what song?? You guessed it- [B]When the Levee Breaks[/B] from Zeppelin's fourth album...

They then lead into the commercial with the songs opening lyrics:

[B][I]If it keeps on raining levee's gonna break....
    If it keeps on raining levee's gonna break...
    When the levee breaks, have no place to stay![/I][/B]

very classy!

oh yeh...she then told the three listners in the area.."next time you vote against liberalism remember what you are voting against...."
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 08-31-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

ouch

The only thing more stupid than those opinions is that there are really people out there who will agree with them.

To exploit a human tragedy and suffering of this magnitude for political gain is unconscionable.... Is nothing beneath a Democrat?

No wonder eveybody hates liberals.....

why you gotta drag me into this? it's just implied that I would endorse this behavior? bull.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]why you gotta drag me into this? it's just implied that I would endorse this behavior? bull.[/QUOTE]

endorse the behavoir? no...

use the talking points? 10.....9......8......7......6......5......4......3.....2.............

Wow. What a jackass.

I'm happy to debate the "right choices for America" when it comes to rebuilding New Orleans, including the two bigest issues: Do we rebuild in the same (dangerously fragilly below sea-level) location or not, and should the American Taxpayer pay for the poor decisions of others (choosing to live in such a dangerous place) or not.

I think THOSE are legitimate debates, although not neccessarily for today, when they are still saving lives and searching for bodies.

But the line of argument this fool is pushing forward is just assinine.

Those bastards at Air America , why cant they be more sensitive like Faux News contributor Fred Barnes who said yesterday:

[B]"You know, I was talking to a Republican official today who had his television on. And he was watching it. And he said, you know, every half or hour or so, you know, there's another billion dollars, another billion dollars the federal government's going to have to spend.

And talking about what is going to be a massive supplemental spending bill that will undoubtedly pass overwhelming in the House and the Senate this fall. I also predict the president, if he's not already in New Orleans, will be there very soon. Maybe the water has to subside a little.

I mean, that's a part of it. The president has to go there, has to promise all kinds of money. Congress passes it. And, in some cases, it's OK.

But my problem with it is that, in some of these areas, like a below- sea-level city like New Orleans, they're not -- they want the rest of us to insure their risk. As people who live on the San Andreas Fault in California, where they know there are going to be earthquakes, people who live along the Mississippi River in these low farmland areas..."[/B][/B]

and then he talks about last years hurricanes in Florida and how he was affected:

[B]"last year, when there were two hurricanes, and I got a new roof, I paid my part. My private insurance company paid the other part. The federal
    government and taxpayers paid no part."[/B]

Wow! What a classy guy. Thats Faux News For ya!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Those bastards at Air America , why cant they be more sensitive like Faux News contributor Fred Barnes who said yesterday:

[B]"You know, I was talking to a Republican official today who had his television on. And he was watching it. And he said, you know, every half or hour or so, you know, there's another billion dollars, another billion dollars the federal government's going to have to spend.

And talking about what is going to be a massive supplemental spending bill that will undoubtedly pass overwhelming in the House and the Senate this fall. I also predict the president, if he's not already in New Orleans, will be there very soon. Maybe the water has to subside a little.

I mean, that's a part of it. The president has to go there, has to promise all kinds of money. Congress passes it. And, in some cases, it's OK.

But my problem with it is that, in some of these areas, like a below- sea-level city like New Orleans, they're not -- they want the rest of us to insure their risk. As people who live on the San Andreas Fault in California, where they know there are going to be earthquakes, people who live along the Mississippi River in these low farmland areas..."[/B][/B]

and then he talks about last years hurricanes in Florida and how he was affected:

[B]"last year, when there were two hurricanes, and I got a new roof, I paid my part. My private insurance company paid the other part. The federal

Wow! What a classy guy. Thats Faux News For ya![/QUOTE]

This is actually the point Warfish makes. Whether you agree with this guy or not, he brings up debateable points. From what CBTNY told us, the people from Air America made no real debateable points, but decided to find a way to rip on conservatives. The guy you mentioned never attacked liberals or Democrats- he just makes a point that, IMO, makes some sense.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Those bastards at Air America , why cant they be more sensitive like Faux News contributor Fred Barnes who said yesterday:

Wow! What a classy guy. Thats Faux News For ya![/QUOTE]

And I completely agree with his assessment. Why should everyone else have to pay for someones stupidity? Why build somewhere that is unsafe, reap any benefit but have the risk be spread to others who don't particiapte in any of the gains? Is that fair to everyone else?

[QUOTE]Why should everyone else have to pay for someones stupidity? Why build somewhere that is unsafe, reap [/QUOTE]

Wow you are soooo brilliant. Using your logic , we should evacuate Florida, the entire Gulf coast, California (hey earthquakes may happen!), how about the entire East and West Coast (you never know when a Tsunami may come), Alaska (with global warming they will feel effects of rising sea level first), how about Hawaii (those dreaded volcanos can erupt any time). Yeah I guess we should all move to the midwest. But no twisters tend to occur there. Forget it!

I guess a natural disaster can occur anywhere!

Everyone gets hurt when a catastrope hits. FEMA funds, insurance companies, money held in reserve by the govt for natural disasters, and of course the individuals who go thru it. Blaming the govt for this, or large insurance companies, is just political posturing. There's a large fault line that runs through harlem down into the upper east side. Should Manhattan not have been developed?

New Orleans is a very old city, from the 1770s, and has a lot of history from when people didnt have much hurricane knowledge. You cant blame them for settling there and making it a wonderful city that attracted tons of tourists.

The issue now is whether it will be rebuilt on the same location, knowing what we know now.

[QUOTE]the people from Air America made no real debateable points[/QUOTE]

No they actually did make a debatable point. CBTNY forgot to mention it. They mentioned how Bush cut millions of dollars from the Army Corp of Engineers' budget which was intended to shore up the levees. Instead that money went to tax cuts for the wealthy and to support the disaster in Iraq. Here is an interesting article to ponder:

[B]Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have to Happen? 'Times-Picayune' Had Repeatedly Raised Federal Spending Issues
    [/B]

By Will Bunch

Published: August 31, 2005 9:00 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA Even though Hurricane Katrina has moved well north of the city, the waters may still keep rising in New Orleans late on Tuesday. That's because Lake Pontchartrain continues to pour through a two-block-long break in the main levee, near the city's 17th Street Canal. With much of the Crescent City some 10 feet below sea level, the rising tide may not stop until it's level with the massive lake.

New Orleans had long known it was highly vulnerable to flooding and a direct hit from a hurricane. In fact, the federal government has been working with state and local officials in the region since the late 1960s on major hurricane and flood relief efforts. When flooding from a massive rainstorm in May 1995 killed six people, Congress authorized the Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project, or SELA.

Over the next 10 years, the Army Corps of Engineers, tasked with carrying out SELA, spent $430 million on shoring up levees and building pumping stations, with $50 million in local aid.[B] But at least $250 million in crucial projects remained, even as hurricane activity in the Atlantic Basin increased dramatically and the levees surrounding New Orleans continued to subside.
    Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars. [/B]

Newhouse News Service, in an article posted late Tuesday night at The Times-Picayune Web site, reported: "No one can say they didn't see it coming. ... Now in the wake of one of the worst storms ever, serious questions are being asked about the lack of preparation."

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness.

On June 8, 2004, Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; told the Times-Picayune: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

Also that June, with the 2004 hurricane season starting, the Corps' project manager Al Naomi went before a local agency, the East Jefferson Levee Authority, and essentially begged for $2 million for urgent work that Washington was now unable to pay for. From the June 18, 2004 Times-Picayune:

"The system is in great shape, but the levees are sinking. Everything is sinking, and if we don't get the money fast enough to raise them, then we can't stay ahead of the settlement," he said. "The problem that we have isn't that the levee is low, but that the federal funds have dried up so that we can't raise them."

The panel authorized that money, and on July 1, 2004, it had to pony up another $250,000 when it learned that stretches of the levee in Metairie had sunk by four feet. The agency had to pay for the work with higher property taxes. The levee board noted in October 2004 that the feds were also now not paying for a hoped-for $15 million project to better shore up the banks of Lake Pontchartrain.

The 2004 hurricane season was the worst in decades. In spite of that, the federal government came back this spring with the steepest reduction in hurricane and flood-control funding for New Orleans in history. Because of the proposed cuts, the Corps office there imposed a hiring freeze. Officials said that money targeted for the SELA project -- $10.4 million, down from $36.5 million -- was not enough to start any new jobs.

There was, at the same time, a growing recognition that more research was needed to see what New Orleans must do to protect itself from a Category 4 or 5 hurricane. But once again, the money was not there. As the Times-Picayune reported last Sept. 22:

[B]"That second study would take about four years to complete and would cost about $4 million, said Army Corps of Engineers project manager Al Naomi. About $300,000 in federal money was proposed for the 2005 fiscal-year budget, and the state had agreed to match that amount. But the cost of the Iraq war forced the Bush administration to order the New Orleans district office not to begin any new studies, and the 2005 budget no longer includes the needed money, [/B] he said."

The Senate was seeking to restore some of the SELA funding cuts for 2006. But now it's too late.

One project that a contractor had been racing to finish this summer: a bridge and levee job right at the 17th Street Canal, site of the main breach on Monday.

The Newhouse News Service article published Tuesday night observed, [B]"The Louisiana congressional delegation urged Congress earlier this year to dedicate a stream of federal money to Louisiana's coast, only to be opposed by the White House. ... In its budget, the Bush administration proposed a significant reduction in funding for southeast Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4 million, a sixth of what local officials say they need."[/B]

Local officials are now saying, the article reported, that had Washington heeded their warnings about the dire need for hurricane protection, including building up levees and repairing barrier islands, "the damage might not have been nearly as bad as it turned out to be."
    Last edited by kennyo7; 08-31-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Wow you are soooo brilliant. Using your logic , we should evacuate Florida, the entire Gulf coast, California (hey earthquakes may happen!), how about the entire East and West Coast (you never know when a Tsunami may come), Alaska (with global warming they will feel effects of rising sea level first), how about Hawaii (those dreaded volcanos can erupt any time). Yeah I guess we should all move to the midwest. But no twisters tend to occur there. Forget it!

I guess a natural disaster can occur anywhere![/QUOTE]

I am not telling anyone to do anything. What I said is if you live somewhere, you should accept teh risk associatd with it. People that have houses in areas that are more likely to be hit with huricanes ahouldn't be relying on Gov't to bail tehm out every huricane. They should get insurance or bear th cost that being uininsured if their property is damaged by a huricane.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]Everyone gets hurt when a catastrope hits. FEMA funds, insurance companies, money held in reserve by the govt for natural disasters, and of course the individuals who go thru it. Blaming the govt for this, or large insurance companies, is just political posturing. There's a large fault line that runs through harlem down into the upper east side. Should Manhattan not have been developed?

New Orleans is a very old city, from the 1770s, and has a lot of history from when people didnt have much hurricane knowledge. You cant blame them for settling there and making it a wonderful city that attracted tons of tourists.

The issue now is whether it will be rebuilt on the same location, knowing what we know now.[/QUOTE]

I agree Cane, my comments weren't specific to NO, more of a generalization.

[QUOTE]People that have houses in areas that are more likely to be hit with huricanes ahouldn't be relying on Gov't to bail tehm out every huricane. They should get insurance or bear th cost that being uininsured if their property is damaged by a huricane.[/QUOTE]

Come on now. I suppose if you are making six figures like Fred Barnes getting insurance should be no problem, but NO is one of the poorest cities. The average income in NO is $ 27,333. What kind of insurance would that buy? If the govt does not bail them out what do you propse happen to the tens of thousands who are now homeless? Can they move next door to you? I know 27K doesnt get you anything here in NYC. So should we let these folks remain homeless? Also , if they didnt live in this "high risk" areas (which they can afford) where do you suppose they could have afforded to live?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Besides the fact that libs want to continually throw money at the problem your article itself proves how fruitless your arguement is....

[QUOTE=kennyo7]
    [B]Did New Orleans Catastrophe Have to Happen? 'Times-Picayune' Had Repeatedly Raised Federal Spending Issues
    [/B] ..........

The 2004 hurricane season was the worst in decades. In spite of that, the federal government came back this spring with the steepest reduction in hurricane and flood-control funding for New Orleans in history. Because of the proposed cuts, the Corps office there imposed a hiring freeze. Officials said that money targeted for the SELA project -- $10.4 million, down from $36.5 million -- was not enough to start any new jobs.

There was, at the same time, a growing recognition that more research was needed to see what New Orleans must do to protect itself from a Category 4 or 5 hurricane. But once again, the money was not there. As the Times-Picayune reported last Sept. 22:

[B[SIZE=4]]"That second study would take about four years to complete and would cost about $4 million, said Army Corps of Engineers project manager Al Naomi. [/SIZE] About $300,000 in federal money was proposed for the 2005 fiscal-year budget, and the state had agreed to match that amount. But the cost of the Iraq war forced the Bush administration to order the New Orleans district office not to begin any new studies, and the 2005 budget no longer includes the needed money, [/B] he said."

[/QUOTE]

so by the articles own admission the "study", no improvements mind you, would not have been completed until some four years after September of 2004.....

And that's using your artilce...not some idiot ideology like..."well, we really can't say if President Bush is protecting America from terrorists...er, the first attack happened in 1993 and the next in 2001, so er, we'll have to wait 8-years from 2001 to really be sure...."

The sad thing is...and again, this is based on the article.... $430-million was spent from 1995 yet the libs will walk around believing the money not spent the past two years would've prevented this...

I'd like to hear Greenwave, who stops by here occassionally, give his opinion...he is from that area and I believe went to Tulane....(hence the username)...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 08-31-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=kennyo7]Come on now. I suppose if you are making six figures like Fred Barnes getting insurance should be no problem, but NO is one of the poorest cities. The average income in NO is $ 27,333. What kind of insurance would that buy? If the govt does not bail them out what do you propse happen to the tens of thousands who are now homeless? Can they move next door to you? I know 27K doesnt get you anything here in NYC. So should we let these folks remain homeless? Also , if they didnt live in this "high risk" areas (which they can afford) where do you suppose they could have afforded to live?[/QUOTE]

This situation is a bit different, but Id rather more of it come from private charaties and the like.

Some level of insurance should be a must (no, I dont mean a requirement, but anyone who is risk adverse and is in a high risk area should have it.) My renters insurance is very reasonable (about 200/yr for 35k of coverage.) That is defiantely managable even for those make 25k a year.

Banned
    iam very liberal on many hot topics topics, maby because iam young. but i never liked these democrats or repubs, they always have to jab the other person for a few votes and a few private investors

[QUOTE]so by the articles own admission the "study", no improvements mind you, [/QUOTE]

I know CBTNY likes to jump right into action w/o thought, but let me explain this novel concept to him. Before we go and spend millions on a project (sometimes even billions and thousands of lives)most rational and thoughtful people invest time and money in studies that will lay a plan as to how to effectively come up with improvements and account for potential pitfalls that may occur and how to solve them before we actually jump into the project. Again emphasis on thoughtful and rational.