Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Finley decides to go with Spurs

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511

    Finley decides to go with Spurs

    Prized free agent Michael Finley has decided to sign with the San Antonio Spurs.

    Phoenix Suns president Bryan Colangelo said he was informed of the decision by Finley's agent Henry Thomas on Wednesday.

    ``Of course we're disappointed, but to Michael's credit, he didn't just take the money,'' Colangelo said. ``He talked about a chance to win, and ultimately he decided to play for the NBA champions.''

    The Spurs did not confirm Finley's decision. Spokesman Cliff Puchalski said the team had no comment. Thomas did not return a message left on his cell phone.

    The 32-year-old shooting guard was courted by Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minnesota. Each team sent representatives to Chicago to make a pitch to the veteran guard. Miami was considered the favorite, because the Heat could offer the full $5 million midlevel exception and the opportunity to play with Shaquille O'Neal.

    San Antonio, which has won three of the last seven NBA titles, could offer about $2.5 million. The Suns had only the veteran's minimum of $1.1 million to offer, but hoped to lure Finley back to the franchise that drafted him. In Phoenix, Finley would have been reunited with good friend and former Dallas teammate Steve Nash.

    The decision will leave a crowd at the shooting guard spot in San Antonio, where All-Star Manu Ginobili is the starter.

    Finley, who averaged a career-low 15.7 points last season, was waived by Dallas under a one-time ``amnesty clause'' that allows teams to cut players to keep their salaries from being subject to the NBA's luxury tax. Finley still will receive most of the $52 million remaining on his Dallas contract, but the Mavs won't have to pay that same amount in luxury tax, as they would have had he been kept on the roster.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    nobody is interested in this signing? this could possibly have just decided the season allready

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Harrison, New Jerz
    Posts
    245
    what's up man...new to the board and i am actually one of the 20 remaining nba fans across the world.

    this signing basically sealed the fate of every team next year....unless there are some catastrophic injuries the spurs will repeat (and repeat, and repeat) as champions. obviously it won't happen but they have the best chance to ever go undefeated for an entire season...i don't see this team being beat

    one more year for mohammed, duncan is duncan, ginobili is ginobili - take the game out of parker's hands when the score is close and the addition of finley makes them the scariest team in the nba...not to mention bowen's dirty d

    im looking forward to the season only because i think the nets will be fun to watch but it looks like the balance of power has gone back over to the west

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G.
    what's up man...new to the board and i am actually one of the 20 remaining nba fans across the world.

    this signing basically sealed the fate of every team next year....unless there are some catastrophic injuries the spurs will repeat (and repeat, and repeat) as champions. obviously it won't happen but they have the best chance to ever go undefeated for an entire season...i don't see this team being beat

    one more year for mohammed, duncan is duncan, ginobili is ginobili - take the game out of parker's hands when the score is close and the addition of finley makes them the scariest team in the nba...not to mention bowen's dirty d

    im looking forward to the season only because i think the nets will be fun to watch but it looks like the balance of power has gone back over to the west
    first of all, to the board! and i also am one of the few remaining nba fans in the world. i believed that the spurs were gonna win before finley, but this just seals the deal.

    im a knick fan, but i do believe that the nets are gonna be a very exciting team to watch, and definatley one to be worried about.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Harrison, New Jerz
    Posts
    245
    i used to like the knicks...even though im a nets fan

    hell the nets have sucked for so many years they weren't even worth rooting for....but ever since thomas took over and made all those trades i've hated the knicks....it's not really the team but the people associated....i hate thomas and marbury with a passion and i can't root for any team they're involved with..especially thomas

    he's basically run that team into the ground with the contracts that he's taken on....and i can't even begin to explain the rationale behind the mohammed trade

    nets will be ok....they don't scare anyone (and they shouldn't)....they may have a great backcourt but without a viable center you're not gonna get anywhere.....collins is not the answer and kristic is a 4

    i do agree that the spurs are the odds on favorites (before and after) the trade....the only team that could compete with them is the Heat and that's only IF they get rid of Antoine Walker. everyone thought that was a great pickup but I honestly think the guy is a cancer and he will do nothing more than hurt the team. he can't be a 3rd option (as we saw with the Mavs)...i think they'll end up trading him before the deadline but we'll see



    ps - thanks for the welcome...i really like this place and considering i live die breathe and bleed jets this definetly feels like home....i also see you're a mets fan...then you must be just as pissed as i am that looper blew ANOTHER save TWICE in one friggin game....i can't stand the guy and i hope they do anything possible to get rid of him in the offseason
    Last edited by Don G.; 09-08-2005 at 07:51 PM.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G.
    i used to like the knicks...even though im a nets fan

    hell the nets have sucked for so many years they weren't even worth rooting for....but ever since thomas took over and made all those trades i've hated the knicks....it's not really the team but the people associated....i hate thomas and marbury with a passion and i can't root for any team they're involved with..especially thomas

    he's basically run that team into the ground with the contracts that he's taken on....and i can't even begin to explain the rationale behind the mohammed trade

    nets will be ok....they don't scare anyone (and they shouldn't)....they may have a great backcourt but without a viable center you're not gonna get anywhere.....collins is not the answer and kristic is a 4

    i do agree that the spurs are the odds on favorites (before and after) the trade....the only team that could compete with them is the Heat and that's only IF they get rid of Antoine Walker. everyone thought that was a great pickup but I honestly think the guy is a cancer and he will do nothing more than hurt the team. he can't be a 3rd option (as we saw with the Mavs)...i think they'll end up trading him before the deadline but we'll see



    ps - thanks for the welcome...i really like this place and considering i live die breathe and bleed jets this definetly feels like home....i also see you're a mets fan...then you must be just as pissed as i am that looper blew ANOTHER save TWICE in one friggin game....i can't stand the guy and i hope they do anything possible to get rid of him in the offseason
    i just think that it is ridiculous the job that looper has done for the mets. for the majority of the teams, when you put in the closer, the game is over. everytime they put looper in, i expect the mets to lose.

    i have really been pulling for them to try heilman in the closer role, beacause it seems like he has been one of the more effective relievers on the mets, especially if he only needs to pitch one inning.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Harrison, New Jerz
    Posts
    245
    yeah heilman could be a good closer for the mets but I still believe he's a starter and shoudl have been starting this season

    as for looper...you're completely right...every time a closer comes in you expect them to seal the game up but with looper every inning is brutal....there have been countless times when he's loaded up the bases or put a guy in scoring position on the first pitch or first man up...it's just unbelievable how they continue to use the guy when he's proven to be one of the worst closers in the league...im starting to think willie randolph doesn't have a clue what he's doing because he's made some pretty crappy decisions this year (keeping looper and ishii, barely using heilman, sending seo down)

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    the one thing that i can't stand is giving upruns the innig before your last. on home games, say we are losing by 1 run (like we were last night) and in the top of the 9th, looper comes in and gives up 1, 2 runs, and makes it that much harder to come back.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Harrison, New Jerz
    Posts
    245
    yeh but as mets fan we have to understand that it's basically a given that it will happen because of looper....there really is no way around it. the mets have a nice young roster and they will get better but they have some key issues at certain positions. randolph has to mature big time as a manager since i really don't think he's done a very good job this year managing our talent.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G.
    yeh but as mets fan we have to understand that it's basically a given that it will happen because of looper....there really is no way around it. the mets have a nice young roster and they will get better but they have some key issues at certain positions. randolph has to mature big time as a manager since i really don't think he's done a very good job this year managing our talent.
    what i don't understand is why willie keeps putting looper in. i mean, every single time, and im not exaggerating this, that he puts looper in, he gives up at least 1 run. like i said before, go out on a limb aand try heilman, or call up royce ring, who i really like, and try them out. the mets are not going to make the playoffs, lets face it, so why not try these guys out and see whether they really need to pick up a free agent like billy wagner or b.j. ryan

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Harrison, New Jerz
    Posts
    245
    lol and after you write this he blows yet another save....the guy is a COMPLETE bum...he doesn't deserve to be in the league, nevermind be the closer....and i completely agree with you....the mets would be crazy to bring looper back next year so there's no point to letting him play now instead of seeing some younger talent get the ball

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hauppauge, New York
    Posts
    1,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G.
    lol and after you write this he blows yet another save....the guy is a COMPLETE bum...he doesn't deserve to be in the league, nevermind be the closer....and i completely agree with you....the mets would be crazy to bring looper back next year so there's no point to letting him play now instead of seeing some younger talent get the ball
    Willie will
    shake pen



    BY ADAM RUBIN
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

    Willie Randolph intends to experiment with roles in the bullpen now that the Mets have faded from the race. As a result, Braden Looper may not exclusively be used to close games during the season's final two weeks.
    Randolph indicated that might mean more use of Shingo Takatsu and Danny Graves as both players audition for potential roles in the 2006 bullpen. The manager still envisions Victor Zambrano as a starter, but said he figures to test him in different relief situations, including pitching back-to-back days. Randolph mentioned Aaron Heilman as a candidate for more late-game situations, though the manager has said he doesn't envision Heilman as a closer in 2006.


    what a coincidence im glad willie finally got one move right.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,821
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428
    nobody is interested in this signing? this could possibly have just decided the season allready
    That is HUGE! He bolsters what is already a great team, look out NBA, Here come the Spurs.....again!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us