Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More From The Evil Hollywood and Music Industry Elite...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

More From The Evil Hollywood and Music Industry Elite...

[QUOTE][B][U]Stars Plan Katrina Relief Telethons[/U][/B]

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

From FOXNews.com

[U]LOS ANGELES [/U] Hurricane Katrina telethons reminiscent of benefits for tsunami and 9/11 victims were announced Wednesday with artists including Wynton Marsalis and Green Day (search), while Jerry Lewis' annual Labor Day fundraiser will join in as well.

Lewis said Wednesday his telethon for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (search) would include celebrity appeals for hurricane relief. MDA also will donate $1 million to help victims in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, he said.

"While the needs of 'my kids' are with us all year-round, Hurricane Katrina is a national disaster on a scale that's difficult to comprehend," the actor-comedian said in a statement. "We simply couldn't ignore the need to help."

Celebrities will appeal for donations for hurricane victims during the first four hours of the telethon and its concluding four hours. The broadcast begins at 9 p.m. EDT Sunday and ends at 5:30 p.m. EDT Monday (check local listings for stations).

A special 800 phone number will be used for the Katrina donations, with proceeds going to the Salvation Army (search) in the hard-hit states.

Hurricane relief efforts will be seen across a number of TV channels, which have been filled with images of tragedy and destruction caused by Katrina.

"A Concert for Hurricane Relief" will air on NBC, MSNBC and CNBC at 8 p.m. EDT Friday, NBC Universal Television Group announced Wednesday.

The hourlong special, hosted by "Today" show co-host Matt Lauer in New York, is scheduled to include performances by Marsalis, Harry Connick Jr. and Tim McGraw (search), all with ties to the affected areas, NBC said. Leonardo DiCaprio (search) and other celebrities are expected to participate.

Viewers will be encouraged to donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.

Another aid effort was announced by MTV Networks, starting with a Saturday, Sept. 10, music special airing on MTV, VH1 and CMT and intended to raise funds for the American Red Cross and other organizations.

Besides Green Day, scheduled performers include Ludacris, Gretchen Wilson, Usher, Alicia Keys, John Mellencamp, the Dave Matthews Band, Rob Thomas, David Banner and Linkin Park's Chester Bennington.

The special also will be available on MTV2, mtvU and VH1 Classic, as well as broadband video networks MTV Overdrive and VSpot.

The concert is part of what MTV Networks said will be an ongoing effort by its outlets to promote volunteer efforts as well as fundraising.

Information was to go out immediately on how viewers may join in relief activities and donate clothes and other goods.

Also Wednesday, MTV Networks' parent company, Viacom, announced a $1 million donation to the American Red Cross and a worldwide matching gift program for employee donations. Other support efforts are planned by Viacom media properties including BET, CBS and UPN, the company said.

A 2001 telethon for victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was carried on all major networks and drew nearly $130 million in donations.

In 2005, NBC Universal aired a benefit for victims of last December's earthquake-triggered tsunami that struck parts of Asia and Africa. It raised close to $20 million, NBC said.[/QUOTE]

Of course, we all know they're only pretending to help, to boost their own careers and the evil Liberal agenda, right?

Right?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Of course, we all know they're only pretending to help, to boost their own careers and the evil Liberal agenda, right?

Right?[/QUOTE]

Wow!! Mostly musicians and not a single A list actor.

Yep Hollywood is bustin' it out everybit as much as the working class giving money out of their own pocket to the United way etv :zzz: :zzz:

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    While I think it's a good thing the "stars" are doing this, let's not annoint any of them saints just yet.

The stars are good at getting other people to donate their money while the stars hold on to their millions.

People tend to look past a Red Cross volunteer working their *** off in the middle of the disease, filth and chaos that is New Orleans, yet worship a star who donates ten minutes of their life on a stage to sing a couple of songs...

If the stars really are worthy of the praise they are bound to recieve, let them go to New Orleans and retrieve corpses, help build shelters, distribute food, water and medicine and maybe even..... part with some of their millions, to help the poor and destitute of New Orleans and other areas devestated by Katrina........

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]Wow!! Mostly musicians and not a single A list actor.

Yep Hollywood is bustin' it out everybit as much as the working class giving money out of their own pocket to the United way etv :zzz: :zzz:[/QUOTE]

So now you're nitpicking who is giving, eh? And what do you mean "their own pocket"? Whose pocket are these stars giving out of??

More Elitism, more "They're not as good as me because I'm a "working class" guy". Nice attitude. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]Of course, we all know they're only pretending to help, to boost their own careers and the evil Liberal agenda, right?

Right?[/QUOTE]
    Are you validating a personal belief that entertainers are selfless or inherently noble or something? If so, you're on a crash course with folly. Let me know if Leonardo cries onstage.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Are you validating a personal belief that entertainers are selfless or inherently noble or something? If so, you're on a crash course with folly. Let me know if Leonardo cries onstage.[/QUOTE]

I'd be more impressed with these people if they actually took money out of their pockets and gave donated it as many of us do....and I'm sure some do but whenever they are interviewed (Ed McMahon was famous for this years ago) they say "we are giving of ourselves" (aka- our four minute perfomance is out donation).

I go back to my whole Live 8 theory- once you give out of YOUR pocket then ask others to do the same.....and I am not trying to marginalize what they are doing, just facing the facts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]So now you're nitpicking who is giving, eh? And what do you mean "their own pocket"? Whose pocket are these stars giving out of??

More Elitism, more "They're not as good as me because I'm a "working class" guy". Nice attitude. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

The whole lot of you need to give it a rest.

Everyone should be giving what provides the greatest benefit without it breaking their own bank account.

These stars "time" and "appearances" are most likely many times more valuable than giving cash directly. That's to say, they can probably raise a whole lot more money than they can donate themselves. What's more, I am willing to bet the bank that they ARE, in fact, donating plenty of their own cash.

So I say KUDOS to them for doing the right thing and taking the time out of their schedule, their private time even if it is only a day to perform to help the victims.

I know myself that the value I can offer in "hands on" help and working with the affected areas as a consultant is many times more valuable than any cash I can scrape up.

On a side note, here is about as ironic as a story as any...

I attend a conference / convention in NOLA every spring that is put on by an organization/magazine called Continuity Insights.

The whole thing is geared around Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery Planning and Risk Assessment. I have worked with many county, city and federal govts from Maui to Boston in helping them prepare for and recover from events just like this.

NOLA has a convention geared towards this exact topic every year, yet did not ever engage any of products or services provided by my company or ANY of the competitors in our industry. They were fully dependent upon the work of FEMA which can provide "general" recovery and planning efforts but is responsible for far too wide a scope to be able to be completely effective.

Let's all hope that every community out there learns from this disaster and puts together an effective, tested and maintained disaster management and recovery plan.

Too many obvious measures were missed in all this.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]NOLA has a convention geared towards this exact topic every year, yet did not ever engage any of products or services provided by my company or ANY of the competitors in our industry. They were fully dependent upon the work of FEMA which can provide "general" recovery and planning efforts but is responsible for far too wide a scope to be able to be completely effective.[/QUOTE]

That's suicide....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Hick]People tend to look past a Red Cross volunteer working their *** off in the middle of the disease, filth and chaos that is New Orleans, yet worship a star who donates ten minutes of their life on a stage to sing a couple of songs...[/quote]
    Very true. Who cares about that anonymous mustachioed weekender with the belly and and the ill-fitting neon vest who toils in the toxic floodwaters? Not me. I want to see what Green Day has to say and sing about it! So generous of them...

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]
    These stars "time" and "appearances" are most likely many times more valuable than giving cash directly. That's to say, they can probably raise a whole lot more money than they can donate themselves. What's more, I am willing to bet the bank that they ARE, in fact, donating plenty of their own cash.

So I say KUDOS to them for doing the right thing and taking the time out of their schedule, their private time even if it is only a day to perform to help the victims.[/QUOTE]
    Radioactively queer, those thoughts. "Stars" are surrounded by people telling them how much their time is worth - I guarantee you nothing is given out of pocket. Why would they cough up a thing when they are comfortably convinced that they are giving so much to begin with? The fact of the matter is that an essential part of becoming a Hollywood "star", in addition to talent, is an almost total devotion to ego. It's set up that way, more or less. I know because I am an A-list actor. I can't speak on behalf of rockers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote]Radioactively queer, those thoughts. "Stars" are surrounded by people telling them how much their time is worth - I guarantee you nothing is given out of pocket. .[/QUOTE]

Gee thanks, I appreciate your comments. :rolleyes:

I'll remember that going forward.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Its the least they can do, considering how "upset" they were over the SE Asia tsunami and Africa's debt. ;)

2. It was widely publicized that Sandra Bullock donated $1 million to the tsunami aid relief - where were all the other Hollyweird @$$clowns?

3. Yes, lets all applaud these wonderful human beings that make MILLIONS per year; more than all of us here combined will make in our lifetimes because they donate a few minutes of their precious time (and in all probablility, will be demanding their own trailers, limos, catering service, and whatever other effin bullpucky they think their "status" requires) :steamin:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    George W. Bush is a Multi-Millionaire. How much of HIS own money will he donate towards the Hurricane Recovery?

See, it's all fun and games when you mock Holly-weirdos for donating the money of others (which is B.S. anyway, since many of them donate huge sums of theior own money too), but the truth is that ol' GW will be "donating" BILLIONS of American Taxpayers dollars to the recovery, and yet will send nothing of his own vast wealth.

Hypocricy, thy name is this forum.

By the way, how many of you all are going down to NOLA to wade through the bodies? Seems a little Hypocritical of YOU to criticise Green Day for not doing it when you're not doing it yourself.

But I've come to expect no less round here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]I know because I am an A-list actor.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? :eek:

You'll forgive me if I doubt you just a little. It's easy to say you're something on a message board, with nothing at all to back your claim beyond a meek "I want to be anonymous".

Well, I guess I forgot to tell ya'll that I am a high ranking member of the Bush Whitehouse. Sorry, my bad, I should have mentioned that earlier I suppose. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And if you ARE indeed an A-List actor, how many of YOUR Millions are you planning on donating? :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    When I made a donation online to the Red Cross last night there was a list of their big benefactors somewhere on the site, Sandra Bullock and Sean Penn were the "star" names I remember seeing. I know Sandra Bullock is very generous with her money, I've read about it before, and to her credit she does not beat her chest about it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]George W. Bush is a Multi-Millionaire. How much of HIS own money will he donate towards the Hurricane Recovery?

See, it's all fun and games when you mock Holly-weirdos for donating the money of others (which is B.S. anyway, since many of them donate huge sums of theior own money too), but the truth is that ol' GW will be "donating" BILLIONS of American Taxpayers dollars to the recovery, and yet will send nothing of his own vast wealth.

By the way, how many of you all are going down to NOLA to wade through the bodies? Seems a little Hypocritical of YOU to criticise Green Day for not doing it when you're not doing it yourself.

But I've come to expect no less round here.[/QUOTE]

And you criticizing W is ...what? :rolleyes:

Have you seen this thread? [URL=http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98028]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98028[/URL]

Physician, heal thyself. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]
    EDIT: And if you ARE indeed an A-List actor, how many of YOUR Millions are you planning on donating? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Not a dime!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Not a dime![/QUOTE]

He's an actor alrighty!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]See, it's all fun and games when you mock Holly-weirdos for donating the money of others (which is B.S. anyway, since many of them donate huge sums of theior own money too)[/QUOTE]
    Let me guess, it didn't occur to you to vote until Ben and Matt's suggestion to do so.

Now, please qualify: [I]many of them donate huge sums of their own money[/I]. You seem to be one with the Great Hot Air Spirit whose power suspends reality in the celebrity profiles of People Magazine. You are lucky, for self-knowledge is often embittering.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish]George W. Bush is a Multi-Millionaire. How much of HIS own money will he donate towards the Hurricane Recovery?

But I've come to expect no less round here.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that....last year on his tax returns which were made public, GWB earned $870K....his total donations to charities? $87K...(being a devout Christian it is obvious GWB and his with tythe (spell?) their income)...

While not part of your post the irony was Kerri's income was three times as much yet he gave a fraction of it to charity.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance]Let me guess, it didn't occur to you to vote until Ben and Matt's suggestion to do so.

Now, please qualify: [I]many of them donate huge sums of their own money[/I]. You seem to be one with the Great Hot Air Spirit whose power suspends reality in the celebrity profiles of People Magazine. You are lucky, for self-knowledge is often embittering.[/QUOTE]

Nope, Self-Knowledge is a wonderful thing. Know Thy Self.

By the way Mr. A-List, shouldn't you be off shooting a Movie or a TV Show someplace?? :rolleyes: