Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NO Mayor angry with Bush

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

NO Mayor angry with Bush

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050902/ap_on_re_us/katrina_angry_mayor_hk1[/url]

Totally in over his head, the anti-Guiliani. What's the point of trotting him up to microphones when his own police department was part of the looting? All he ever wanted was to get rich anyway, not serve the people. Damn that storm!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes - once Bush leaves office, we'll be living in paradise. 'Course, we'll also need to get rid of all the Jews. BUt hey - millions of liberals can't be wrong, right? :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Between the Mayor and the Governor those people don't stand a chance down there. A little leadership goes a long way, Rudy proved that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the mayor has a point - this is America we shouldn't have starving and abandoned refugees. Even Bush himself said this morning the relief effort was unacceptable. Heads will roll for this botch job.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This makes me feel real confident in case of a terror attack, Bush and Condi both on vacation during the worst disaster ever in America.

How do you declare it a state of emergency before hand and not call an Emergency meeting of your cabinet and Congress?

He F'd up big time.

Save the BS about libs and dems, this is not sports. Its about doing your freaking job.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the difference- were a hurricane of this magnitude bearing down on Manhattan, Guiliani would've called for involuntary evacuation and forced everyone out....

Sunday night the news was interviewing people...in a bar on BOURBON STREET!!!! What the hell were they doing there??

Now the mayor of NO wants to blame everyone else....pathetic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Condi was yucking it up at Spamalot...What a disgrace.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clinton is to blame too, a study was done in 1998 and proclaimed the same doomsday scenario.

Bottom line, whatever your party is, Bush and the whole goverment screwed the pooch on this one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ShadeTree#55]Clinton is to blame too, a study was done in 1998 and proclaimed the same doomsday scenario.

Bottom line, whatever your party is, Bush and the whole goverment screwed the pooch on this one.[/QUOTE]

:chimp:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]the mayor has a point - this is America we shouldn't have starving and abandoned refugees. Even Bush himself said this morning the relief effort was unacceptable. Heads will roll for this botch job.[/QUOTE]
    While I agree that I am shocked this situation has deteriorated to the point where it looks like nothing is getting done, it's still the fault of the lawlessness that was permitted to go on initially. There were numerous debates about the looting, these people were emboldened by the lack of consequence for their actions. The police actually joined in in some instances, and now they are turning in their badges.

Imagine if that happened on 9/11, imagine if the police and fire departments said you are **** out of luck, it's too dangerous. Relief workers have been shot at, robbed, and there have been rapes in the Superdome. It is a complete breakdown of humanity that is only hindering any chance to improve these people's lot.

I can't imagine a worse case scenario...actually I can, but I'd rather not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum]:chimp:[/QUOTE]

Well though out response, if you can't blame the libs, you have nothing, eh?

Its beyond party politics.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, why don't we just drop stuff in by parachute to feed these people like we did in Afghanistan?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ShadeTree#55]Well though out response, if you can't blame the libs, you have nothing, eh?

Its beyond party politics.[/QUOTE]

If its beyond politics, why keep mentioning Bush? The governemnet is not to blame for this: it was a natural disaster compounded by the unlucky occurrence of the levees giving way. The government isn't your mommy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is the president, its his job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ShadeTree#55]Well though out response, if you can't blame the libs, you have nothing, eh?

Its beyond party politics.[/QUOTE]

First off, this is definately not the libs fault. It is not the repubs fault either. The fed cannot be expected to be able to have flawless response to every disaster no matter where it may occur. Thats just rediculous to expect that.

This is why EVERY city, county and state has their own emergency management team that reports to FEMA. The local agencies are the ones that really screwed the pooch on this one.

There are reasons why EVERY level of govt has been mandated to have "worst case scenario" disaster management plans (Read about FEMA FPC 65, COOP etc).

I have worked with many Local, County, State and Federal Agencies in developing these very plans from Maui to Boston as well as internationally. I personally have been involved in writing "worst case" recovery plans that account for everything from Tidal Waves, Volcanic Eruptions, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Terrorist acts etc. I have also been a part of recovery test scenarios.

Now this is not to say that everything would always go as planned and tested, however, it could have and SHOULD have gone MUCH MUCH more organized than the cluster F that we are witnessing in NOLA and the surrounding region.

NOLA even hosts a dang conference every year about this VERY SUBJECT but has routinely failed to "meet the needs" or the regulations.

And don't blame funding... NOLA WASTED more money on "studies" than it was spending on fixing the problem or PLANNING for what their current status could have handled.

The steps in Disaster Recovery Planning and Mitigation:

1. Infrastructure Assessment - virtually done in NOLA
    2. Vulnerability and Risk Assessment - virtually done in NOLA
    3. Impact Analyses - virtually done in NOLA

Now here is where they fell apart:

4. Status Quo - WORST CASE SCENARIO Planning
    5. Testing
    6. Risk Mitigation (Fixing the problems for tomorrow)
    7. Doing the process all over again.

This is responsibility of the Cities, Counties/Parishes, States etc. The Fed cannot be expected to cover every persons a$$ in the country. That's just not feasible.

My two cents.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]First off, this is definately not the libs fault. It is not the repubs fault either. The fed cannot be expected to be able to have flawless response to every disaster no matter where it may occur. Thats just rediculous to expect that.

This is why EVERY city, county and state has their own emergency management team that reports to FEMA. The local agencies are the ones that really screwed the pooch on this one.

There are reasons why EVERY level of govt has been mandated to have "worst case scenario" disaster management plans (Read about FEMA FPC 65, COOP etc).

I have worked with many Local, County, State and Federal Agencies in developing these very plans from Maui to Boston as well as internationally. I personally have been involved in writing "worst case" recovery plans that account for everything from Tidal Waves, Volcanic Eruptions, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Terrorist acts etc. I have also been a part of recovery test scenarios.

Now this is not to say that everything would always go as planned and tested, however, it could have and SHOULD have gone MUCH MUCH more organized than the cluster F that we are witnessing in NOLA and the surrounding region.

NOLA even hosts a dang conference every year about this VERY SUBJECT but has routinely failed to "meet the needs" or the regulations.

And don't blame funding... NOLA WASTED more money on "studies" than it was spending on fixing the problem or PLANNING for what their current status could have handled.

The steps in Disaster Recovery Planning and Mitigation:

1. Infrastructure Assessment - virtually done in NOLA
    2. Vulnerability and Risk Assessment - virtually done in NOLA
    3. Impact Analyses - virtually done in NOLA

Now here is where they fell apart:

4. Status Quo - WORST CASE SCENARIO Planning
    5. Testing
    6. Risk Mitigation (Fixing the problems for tomorrow)
    7. Doing the process all over again.

This is responsibility of the Cities, Counties/Parishes, States etc. The Fed cannot be expected to cover every persons a$$ in the country. That's just not feasible.

My two cents.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that obviously well informed post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    transplant that's a good post - what about the fact that a 1/3 of the Miss National Guard and 1/2 of the Louisiana guard (and most of their heavy equipment - boats etc.) are in IRaq???

Doesn't that little factoid have anything to do with it?

"National GUARD" that means GUARD THE NATION.

Not guard friggin someone else's nation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]transplant that's a good post - what about the fact that a 1/3 of the Miss National Guard and 1/2 of the Louisiana guard (and most of their heavy equipment - boats etc.) are in IRaq???

Doesn't that little factoid have anything to do with it?

"National GUARD" that means GUARD THE NATION.

Not guard friggin someone else's nation.[/QUOTE]

True Bit, this does add to the challenges, however, once again, that event (nat'l guard be deployed elsewhere) should have been accounted for. An effective plan is designed to be a "living & breathing" study. It changes routinely to reflect what is occuring in their "space" with regard to resources, environment, fiscal and political states.

Just an example of ONE THING that could have helped in this situation even if a little bit:

A state govt that I worked with has mandated that in the event of an emergency such as this, ALL School Buses and Public Transportation Buses are to be 'commandeered' and directed to the evacuation zone to assist in the transport of those that have no other means.

This not only helps get citizens out, this also preserves those assets by moving them out of the danger zone, much like the military relocates its aircraft out of the potentially hazardous areas.

NOLA had ALL their buses both school and private txport parked and locked in lots which were ALSO in the flood danger zone. Hence all those assets were lost.

Again, my 2 cents.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    no question the locals are unprepared... but it's not the local gov't's job to provide relief when they are hit by a national level disaster.

You say "don't blame the funding" but cmon all munipalities have been getting squeezed between tax cuts and war. that's in general. Yes in specific I am sure the locals didn't do it perfectly but when this scenario is known about by the federal gov't they have a responsibility to protect the nation.

This has been established the essential function of government, dating back to William of Orange.

This President has done a very dubious job of protecting his citizens.

Using your example maybe if FEMA or Homeland Security ordered the school buses moved they would have been moved. Leadership comes from the top, downward.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    JetFanTransplant, you obviosuly got a great grip on this from your career. Reading this post and the previous one yesterday added a lot.

A few questions:

1- In NYC and other parts of the area I see these "mock" exercises with city officials and federal officials as to what should be done in the case of a disaster, (be it chemical attack, nuclear, etc)...down to fake victims...Did NO ever do anything like for the potential of a levee break or major hurricane?? (I think "no" especially with you reference to busses being locked up in a flood zone).

2- was there ever a consideration/plan of mass evacuation of residents north of Lake Ponchatrain or Northwest of Baton Rouge? Is it even feasible considering the undertaking?

3- I hear what you are saying about these "studys" but why did they not look at the potential of a cat 4/5 hitting the city until last year??

Mayor Naggin is doing a lot of b!tching, finger pointing and accusing but he seems as unprepared and as responsible as anyone I've read about.
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-02-2005 at 10:55 AM.