Thread: My Soapbox

Veteran

My Soapbox

Ok..so i never usually post in here but like many other people i know im disgusted with our government. It is deplorable that the people in NO have been stranded for days without help. I understand it might take a day or two even to get mobilized.....but 5 days later? how can we send people and help around the world but we cant help our own people? Im saddened and disgusted with the leaders we have in place. Read this story from CNN below....i love how Bush and the other leaders are slapping each other on the back and saying how great theyve been doing????WTF??? People are dying as we speak, I have lots of family there, right in the middle of it. I have co-workers that work in a store there that is completely underwater. i have heard directly from my friends....the situation is every bit as bad as youve seen on TV. Dont trust your government. read the FEMA responses versus what is really happening...they have NO clue...its very sad.

CNN Story

The official version; then there's the in-the-trenches version

Friday, September 2, 2005; Posted: 5:17 p.m. EDT (21:17 GMT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Diverging views of a crumbling New Orleans emerged Thursday, with statements by some federal officials in contradiction with grittier, more desperate views from the streets. By late Friday response to those stranded in the city was more visible.

But the conflicting views on Thursday came within hours, sometimes minutes of each of each other, as reflected in CNN's transcripts. The speakers include Michael Brown, chief of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Homeland Security Director Michael Chertoff, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, evacuee Raymond Cooper, CNN correspondents and others. Here's what they had to say:

Conditions in the Convention Center

FEMA chief Brown: We learned about that (Thursday), so I have directed that we have all available resources to get that convention center to make sure that they have the food and water and medical care that they need. (See video of Brown explaining how news reports alerted FEMA to convention center chaos. -- 2:11)

Mayor Nagin: The convention center is unsanitary and unsafe, and we are running out of supplies for the 15,000 to 20,000 people. (Hear Nagin's angry demand for soldiers. 1:04)

CNN Producer Kim Segal: It was chaos. There was nobody there, nobody in charge. And there was nobody giving even water. The children, you should see them, they're all just in tears. There are sick people. We saw... people who are dying in front of you.

Evacuee Raymond Cooper: Sir, you've got about 3,000 people here in this -- in the Convention Center right now. They're hungry. Don't have any food. We were told two-and-a-half days ago to make our way to the Superdome or the Convention Center by our mayor. And which when we got here, was no one to tell us what to do, no one to direct us, no authority figure.

Uncollected corpses

Brown: That's not been reported to me, so I'm not going to comment. Until I actually get a report from my teams that say, "We have bodies located here or there," I'm just not going to speculate.

Segal: We saw one body. A person is in a wheelchair and someone had pushed (her) off to the side and draped just like a blanket over this person in the wheelchair. And then there is another body next to that. There were others they were willing to show us. ( See CNN report, 'People are dying in front of us' -- 4:36 )

Evacuee Cooper: They had a couple of policemen out here, sir, about six or seven policemen told me directly, when I went to tell them, hey, man, you got bodies in there. You got two old ladies that just passed, just had died, people dragging the bodies into little corners. One guy -- that's how I found out. The guy had actually, hey, man, anybody sleeping over here? I'm like, no. He dragged two bodies in there. Now you just -- I just found out there was a lady and an old man, the lady went to nudge him. He's dead.

Hospital evacuations

Brown: I've just learned today that we ... are in the process of completing the evacuations of the hospitals, that those are going very well.

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta: It's gruesome. I guess that is the best word for it. If you think about a hospital, for example, the morgue is in the basement, and the basement is completely flooded. So you can just imagine the scene down there. But when patients die in the hospital, there is no place to put them, so they're in the stairwells. It is one of the most unbelievable situations I've seen as a doctor, certainly as a journalist as well. There is no electricity. There is no water. There's over 200 patients still here remaining. ...We found our way in through a chopper and had to land at a landing strip and then take a boat. And it is exactly ... where the boat was traveling where the snipers opened fire yesterday, halting all the evacuations. ( Watch the video report of corpses stacked in stairwells -- 4:45 )

Dr. Matthew Bellew, Charity Hospital: We still have 200 patients in this hospital, many of them needing care that they just can't get. The conditions are such that it's very dangerous for the patients. Just about all the patients in our services had fevers. Our toilets are overflowing. They are filled with stool and urine. And the smell, if you can imagine, is so bad, you know, many of us had gagging and some people even threw up. It's pretty rough.(Mayor's video: Armed addicts fighting for a fix -- 1:03)

Violence and civil unrest

Brown: I've had no reports of unrest, if the connotation of the word unrest means that people are beginning to riot, or you know, they're banging on walls and screaming and hollering or burning tires or whatever. I've had no reports of that.

CNN's Chris Lawrence: From here and from talking to the police officers, they're losing control of the city. We're now standing on the roof of one of the police stations. The police officers came by and told us in very, very strong terms it wasn't safe to be out on the street. (Watch the video report on explosions and gunfire -- 2:12)

The federal response:

Brown: Considering the dire circumstances that we have in New Orleans, virtually a city that has been destroyed, things are going relatively well.

Homeland Security Director Chertoff: Now, of course, a critical element of what we're doing is the process of evacuation and securing New Orleans and other areas that are afflicted. And here the Department of Defense has performed magnificently, as has the National Guard, in bringing enormous resources and capabilities to bear in the areas that are suffering.

Crowd chanting outside the Convention Center: We want help.

Nagin: They don't have a clue what's going on down there.

Phyllis Petrich, a tourist stranded at the Ritz-Carlton: They are invisible. We have no idea where they are. We hear bits and pieces that the National Guard is around, but where? We have not seen them. We have not seen FEMA officials. We have seen no one.

Security

Brown: I actually think the security is pretty darn good. There's some really bad people out there that are causing some problems, and it seems to me that every time a bad person wants to scream of cause a problem, there's somebody there with a camera to stick it in their face. ( See Jack Cafferty's rant on the government's 'bungled' response -- 0:57)

Chertoff: In addition to local law enforcement, we have 2,800 National Guard in New Orleans as we speak today. One thousand four hundred additional National Guard military police trained soldiers will be arriving every day: 1,400 today, 1,400 tomorrow and 1,400 the next day.

Nagin: I continue to hear that troops are on the way, but we are still protecting the city with only 1,500 New Orleans police officers, an additional 300 law enforcement personnel, 250 National Guard troops, and other military personnel who are primarily focused on evacuation.

Lawrence: The police are very, very tense right now. They're literally riding around, full assault weapons, full tactical gear, in pickup trucks. Five, six, seven, eight officers. It is a very tense situation here.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CaliJetsFan]i love how Bush and the other leaders are slapping each other on the back and saying how great theyve been doing????WTF??? [/QUOTE]

I could have sworn that I saw Bush on National TV saying the efforts were 'unacceptable' Is that another word for doing great?

Veteran
    Yeah..to save face in front of a pissed off country he said that AFTER he told FEMA that they were doing a great job under difficult circumstances...uhh yeah right. Call it like it is man....not only Bush but the government as a whole failed these people, from local, state and federal levels they let alot of people suffer while they decided what to do. it was like a flashback to 9/11 when the government was MIA in the hours after the attack. And before you start...dont...its not a political party issue...its the government as a whole, republicans, democrats, whoever...they are out of touch with the public....they are insulated by layers and layers of advisors, commitees, etc, to know whats going on with the real people that run this country. Do they realize that gas prices going to $5 a gallon will cripple this economy? Jobs will be lost, people cannot afford to spend on luxury items and that will have a ripple effect? Screw releasing a few million barrels from the strategic reserve....how about opening up Alaska to drilling?? Where is all the Iraqi oil going? The botom line is that no matter who is in power they ignore the things that matter to the average person.

Jets Insider VIP
    Save some of your righteous indignation for the Dimocratic governor and NO mayor, who don't seem to know their @$$ from a sewer hole. :rolleyes:

Veteran
    [B]"I'm not going to forget what I've seen," the president said in New Orleans as he ended his tour Friday. "I understand the devastation requires more than one day's attention."[/B]

Uhh no kidding....

[B]"He heard some things he didn't want to believe at first," said Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana. "The president is starting to grasp the magnitude of the situation."[/B]

Gees....really? 5 days later he is "beginning" to grasp the magniude?? Exactly why it took so long to get help there.

[B]"If we can't respond faster than this to an event we saw coming across the Gulf for days, then why do we think we're prepared to respond to a nuclear or biological attack?" asked former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Republican[/B].

Thank you Newt!!

[B][B]The criticism stung for a president who won widespread praise for his handling of the terrorist attacks four years ago -- and who already is suffering sagging approval ratings in the polls over the Iraq war and gasoline prices that were high even before Katrina wreaked havoc on Gulf of Mexico operations.

[U]Hoping to turn the tide of opinion in his favor[/U], Bush spoke four times publicly on Friday.[/B]"The results are not acceptable," he declared at the beginning of the day.[/B]

:yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=quantum]Save some of your righteous indignation for the Dimocratic governor and NO mayor, who don't seem to know their @$$ from a sewer hole. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

are you that blind?? I just stated ALL ALL ALL government officials....not just those from a certain political party. But being that Bush is Republican is no matter...its how he handled the situation that matters. who the F@#K cares about who is a democrat or republican...take care of the situation. Thats all Im saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CaliJetsFan]are you that blind?? I just stated ALL ALL ALL government officials....not just those from a certain political party. But being that Bush is Republican is no matter...its how he handled the situation that matters. who the F@#K cares about who is a democrat or republican...take care of the situation. Thats all Im saying.[/QUOTE]

Please - you mention Bush by name. There is plenty of blame to go around for lack of coordination, but thats not the way you spun it. Blame should go to mid-level bureaucrats who didn't plan well enough.

Veteran
    I agree.....alot of blame to go around. But he is the guy in charge so he will take the brunt of the blame. that goes with the job. No different from where i work....when one of my workers makes a mistake i have to fix the problem and take the heat. He should fire the FEMA director as soon as this gets under control....i have no faith in that guy...he is clueless.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CaliJetsFan]I agree.....alot of blame to go around. But he is the guy in charge so he will take the brunt of the blame. that goes with the job. No different from where i work....when one of my workers makes a mistake i have to fix the problem and take the heat. He should fire the FEMA director as soon as this gets under control....i have no faith in that guy...he is clueless.[/QUOTE]

Actually you are wrong...the local and state governments are suppose to be in charge with the feds as back-up.....this is nothing more then the result of liberals expecting and waiting for handouts and they are now in CYA mode...

Quick question; though it is not by any means an apples-to-apples comparison, how come Florida, with places like the keys and Sanibel Island, did not have a fraction of these problems when four trechorous hurricanes hit last year?? Did you see wild looting in the streets of Orlando or Ft Lauderdale or anywhere else in Jeb Bush's state??? ANY AT ALL???

Were a take charge mayor like Guiliani or a gov like Pataki in power last Saturday in the state/city of New Orleans, La., would the result have been the same??

Here is the difference.....

Guiliani, Jeb Bush, Pataki tell everyone after and during disasters:

[B]"We're gonna do this.....and we're gonna do that..."[/B]

Meanwhile Nagin, Blanco and Landreau's response is:

[B]Where is this?? Where is that??[/B]

Sadly this quickly has turned into a blame game which it should not- Americans are in trouble.

Yet we have an authority on this board, (Jetsfantransplant) who has educated us as to why most of this happened and why a lot of it could've been diverted, and I suggest you read his posts, because the MSM is not reporting 1% of the facts he brings up....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-03-2005 at 02:39 PM.

All Pro
    Don't you guys realize, it was George Bush who summoned a category 4 hurricane and directed it right at the heart of sin-city?

It's true. With the profits Condalezza Rice made on her namesake oil tanker, her, Cheney and Karl Rove developed a weather machine.

They presented it to Bush onboard a black helicopter. When it came time to pick a target, he chose the location of Mardi Gra, because his Christian beliefs were so offended.

Rove and the Republicans then financed the guns and ammo and directed people to fire on the first responders.

Veteran
    Of course....trying to assign blame to a political party or a subset of people. Thats NOT my point, the situation is F'ed up...they are lookng for handouts? they are stuck..they cannot leave...believe it or not many people dont have cars/money to leave....plus roads are closed or they have nowhere to go...thats a really stupid and ignorant viewpoint you have. So we should just say F them...losers...they are just looking for handouts? Yeah ok...and trying to compare this to Fla is not even close....im sure you have read about how No is underwater? and how there are few routes out? and how people in Fla are "used" to hurricanes so they and officials are better prepared for this. Get off the republican's jock for a minute and look at this objectively. FEMA sucks...GW didnt act fast enough....local/state officials werent prepared knowing a Cat4 storm was coming....btw is the government is supposed to be there for us in a disaster then why do we pay taxes? Its not a one way street....we support them, they support us.....last time i checked WE WERE THE GOVERNEMENT....the whole government of the people, for the people thing???? remember that? because washington doesnt......

Veteran
    [B]They presented it to Bush onboard a black helicopter. When it came time to pick a target, he chose the location of Mardi Gra, because his Christian beliefs were so offended. [/B]

This i actually might believe..... :)