Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katrina Kommision!!!

Katrina Kommision!!!

Hilarious.
    [url=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/343489p-293306c.html]Let's put Nagin on fact-finding panel, Blanco & Gorelick, too[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Are there any NY politicians that actually work for [I]us[/I] ? Doesn't seem like it... :steamin:

Brace yourselves for two things:

1. Many dead people this week and next.

2. A class action lawsuit by the minorities who the government failed to rescue. (In the defense the fact that there was 'unparalleled crime', rape, murder, widespread looting, people shooting guns at rescue helicopters, etc, will not be allowed as a defense).

Gonna get real ugly!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]

Gonna get real ugly![/QUOTE]

Sadly it already has and your point is well taken....

At one point last week the Louisiana Governor changed the initial rescue operation of the people in NO to a law enforcement operation.

Did NO society break down or was the society of NO already broken down and now they were exposed?

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]
    Gonna get real ugly![/QUOTE]
    Seriously, the facts of the matter are downright criminal - to the mayor and governor. They'll try and make Bush look bad by highlighting FEMA's seeming lethargy, but the first response of New Orleans itself was no response. Period. End of story.

That mayor and that governor did not consider mass disaster responsibility as part of their job, though it was part of their talking points in days past (and is that going to haunt them, does already, in this "blame game"), but because none of their predecessors had to deal with it they calculated their own free passes as well. Well, history will not be kind to the mayor who cried out to Washington for buses.

Here's some FEMA reality:

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05249/566101.stm[/url]

[I]"Hurricane Katrina was a national tragedy -- not just in the number of lives lost or the amount of physical damage, but also in the failure of people to do what is right when no one is looking."[/I]

My sense is that FEMA & the feds wanted to federalize this whole mess in Louisiana earlier in the week.

Governor Blanco declined - instead wanting federal troops and resources placed under HER control.

It became essentially federalized on Friday when Lt Gen Honore was handed charge of the situation. This should have happened earlier in the week.

The on the ground circumstances (IMHO) warranted Blanco turning control over the feds last Tuesday - when they (supposedly) wanted it.

How come Harry Conkin and Walmart were able to get in and out yet the Feds weren't?

The local gov is at fault, but once it was out of hand the Feds dropped the ball bigtime too.

[QUOTE=ShadeTree#55]The local gov is at fault, but once it was out of hand the Feds dropped the ball bigtime too.[/QUOTE]

You're right! We need to know when it was actually turned over the the Feds.

What I want to know is when Bush became like some form of deity defended at all cost and above any form of criticism?

I voted for him, but this exposed his governments faults, what exactly is homeland security for if they can mobilize and defend the streets of a city?

[QUOTE=ShadeTree#55]What I want to know is when Bush became like some form of deity defended at all cost and above any form of criticism?

I voted for him, but this exposed his governments faults, what exactly is homeland security for if they can mobilize and defend the streets of a city?[/QUOTE]

Shadetree don't worry the list of horrible things that happened under Bush's watch but he is not to blame for gets longer every day. The man is 100% blame-free, somehow.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

you could at least justify the mayor and govenor if they followed their own Emergency Operations Plan put in place this July:

[B]STATE OF LOUISIANA

EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT

BATON ROUGE

EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. KBB 05-[/B]

WHEREAS, the State of Louisiana must be prepared to respond in a coordinated, effective and efficient manner to all the emergencies and disasters to which it is subjected;

WHEREAS, effective preparations, including the development of an emergency operations plan, which is coordinated between all the departments and agencies of the State of Louisiana, increases the ability of the state to mitigate the adverse effects of emergencies and/or
    disasters:

WHEREAS, the State of Louisiana will best achieve effective coordinated emergency planning by updating the state’s current emergency operations order through the replacement of Executive Order No. KBB 2004 - 04, issued on 12 August 2004, and by the Military Department, Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness updating its emergency operations plan;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, Governor of the State of Louisiana,
    by virtue of the Constitution and laws of the State of Louisiana, do
    hereby order and direct as follows:

SECTION 1:
    A. The Director of the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, Military Department, State of Louisiana, (hereafter “director”), shall direct the state of Louisiana’s emergency and/or disaster operations.

B. The director, or the director’s designee, shall also coordinate the activities of all non-state agencies, departments, and/or organizations involved in emergency management within the state of Louisiana.

SECTION 2:
    A. The director shall supplement the provisions of this Order by prescribing rules, regulations, and procedures, which combined with the revisions of this Order, shall constitute the Louisiana Emergency Operations Plan (hereafter “Plan”).

B. The Plan shall provide for the emergency operations that may be implemented should an emergency and/or disaster strike the state of Louisiana or an area within the state of Louisiana.

C. The plan shall be binding on all departments, commissions, boards, agencies, organizations and employees of the state of Louisiana, and on all local governments or political subdivisions of the state authorized or directed to conduct homeland security and emergency management operations.

SECTION 3:

A. The director shall control the activation and/or implementation of the Plan and the conclusion and/or deactivation of the Plan.

B. The director shall also control the activation and deactivation of the State Emergency Operations Center (hereafter “Center”).

C. The activation of the Center shall constitute the implementation of the Plan.

SECTION 4: The departments, offices, agencies and organizations of the State of Louisiana Government have primary and support responsibilities for the following Emergency Support Functions (ESF):

[URL=http://www.ohsep.louisiana.gov/plans/STATE%20OF%20LOUISIANA%20EOP%202005.doc]Louisiana Emergency Plan[/URL]

[QUOTE]You're right! We need to know when it was actually turned over the the Feds.[/QUOTE]

I believe Blanco finally did that late last night...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-06-2005 at 12:03 PM.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]My sense is that FEMA & the feds wanted to federalize this whole mess in Louisiana earlier in the week.

Governor Blanco declined - instead wanting federal troops and resources placed under HER control.

It became essentially federalized on Friday when Lt Gen Honore was handed charge of the situation. This should have happened earlier in the week.

The on the ground circumstances (IMHO) warranted Blanco turning control over the feds last Tuesday - when they (supposedly) wanted it.[/QUOTE]

yeah the reason why Blanco didn't hand over control (*and i DONT Blame her*) is that clearly the federal gov't would have taken over and promptly blamed all the problems on the people they took over for. This was pure Rovian politics. Find someone, anyone else to blame and don't stop blaming them until people forget about how incompetant Bush is. That's what's going on right now and why posters like CBNY are putting up threads about how cops that lost everything and worked for a week straight don't deserve mental health vacations - meanwhile Bush can have 13 weeks of paid vacation a year, that's acceptable. what a joke.

[QUOTE=bitonti]yeah the reason why Blanco didn't hand over control (*and i DONT Blame her*) is that clearly the federal gov't would have taken over and promptly blamed all the problems on the people they took over for. This was pure Rovian politics. Find someone, anyone else to blame and don't stop blaming them until people forget about how incompetant Bush is. That's what's going on right now and why posters like CBNY are putting up threads about how cops that lost everything and worked for a week straight don't deserve mental health vacations - meanwhile Bush can have 13 weeks of paid vacation a year, that's acceptable. what a joke.[/QUOTE]

...what?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]...what?????????????????????????????????????????????????[/QUOTE]

dude- don't even bother....not worth the wear-n-tear on your computer keyboard... ;)

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]...what?????????????????????????????????????????????????[/QUOTE]

do you need me to say it again?

The Federal Gov't's spin on this is to blame the locals. Once they take control they can blame the locals for everything, and that's exactly what happened.

Somehow the American Public is supposed to believe that it's the mayor's fault for not responding correctly when his city gets destroyed by a NATIONAL disaster.

They call it a NATIONAL disaster for a reason, it requires the attention of the NATION to come through it. Katrina was not called a LOCAL disaster. It was a NATIONAL DISASTER.

The dept of homeland security is a f--king joke, they can't save people's lives when they have 3 days notice what are they gonna do when they have 0 days notice?

INCOMPETANCY is to blame and it goes all the way to the top.

Blaming the mayor and governor for bad Katrina response is like blaming the pee-ons privates in the army for the lack of a gov't in Iraq.

The help in a national disaster comes from the NATION. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]do you need me to say it again?

The Federal Gov't's spin on this is to blame the locals. Once they take control they can blame the locals for everything, and that's exactly what happened.

Somehow the American Public is supposed to believe that it's the mayor's fault for not responding correctly when his city gets destroyed by a NATIONAL disaster.

They call it a NATIONAL disaster for a reason, it requires the attention of the NATION to come through it. Katrina was not called a LOCAL disaster. It was a NATIONAL DISASTER.

The dept of homeland security is a f--king joke, they can't save people's lives when they have 3 days notice what are they gonna do when they have 0 days notice?

INCOMPETANCY is to blame and it goes all the way to the top.

Blaming the mayor and governor for bad Katrina response is like blaming the pee-ons privates in the army for the lack of a gov't in Iraq.

The help in a national disaster comes from the NATION. Period.[/QUOTE]

you're right. the federal government should have a specific plan for every emergency that can strike anywhere, wigh specifics about using local assets like public transportation, trucking and and construction vehicles to aid in evacuations with no responsibility to or help from the state and city level politicians.

Makes perfect sense. They should keep all these plans in a really big file cabinet that is cross referenced by city name and disaster type and include a phon number for each resident so the President can call each one personally to tell them what their specific plan is.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]

.[/QUOTE]

That's what I don't get.

The governor asked the feds for help the Saturday before the storm

[url]http://www.gov.state.la.us/Press_Release_detail.asp?id=976[/url]

But the feds didn't offer assistance until Sept. 1????
    [url]http://www.homelandresponse.org/full_story.php?WID=13956[/url]

What went wrong there?

I believe she wanted control of federal military troops, etc. However, the federal government pretty much told her the situation was way beyond her scope and they should take control

It will be interesting to find out what she planned to do with these troops. I think the Feds realized she wanted resources but that she had no plan for what to do with them.

[QUOTE=bitonti]
    The help in a national disaster comes from the NATION. Period.[/QUOTE]
    NEVER BLAME A MAYOR OR A GOVERNOR. PERIOD.

KEEP HEAD IN SAND. PERIOD.

IGNORE FACTS. PERIOD.