Thread: Is anyone on here a moderate???

Is anyone on here a moderate???

Damn it seems to me that this entire forum is either far right or far left extremists.

Am I the only one that feels like there's no place for me in this country politically?

I don't seem to (or want to) fit into either party completely.

For example... my stances don't follow party lines....

Am I allowed to support Gay rights but still be Pro Life on the Abortion issue?
    Can I support the concept of the Iraq war but disagree with the implementation?
    Can I support tax cuts yet still want a nationalized health care system.

I don't know. It just seems to me that there is this huge divide in America between two sides who like to scream at each other about everything, and have simply taken completely different stances, just to make sure they're opposed on every issue.

Anyways.... that's my rant. Man oh man do I wish that Ross Perot's idea of a third party would have materialized.

[QUOTE=broadwayjoe2]
    Am I the only one that feels like there's no place for me in this country politically?
    [/QUOTE]
    You sound reasonable. Maybe there is room for you on Cindy Sheehan's bus.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=broadwayjoe2]Damn it seems to me that this entire forum is either far right or far left extremists.

I don't know. It just seems to me that there is this huge divide in America between two sides who like to scream at each other about everything, and have simply taken completely different stances, just to make sure they're opposed on every issue.

Anyways.... that's my rant. Man oh man do I wish that Ross Perot's idea of a third party would have materialized.[/QUOTE]

I'm a big proponent of pragmatism, but am easily pushed to the right by various things coming from the left. I believe from what you stated that you would fit in as a Republican better than a Democrat, if for no other reason, the level of tolerance for diversion from main party planks. Dems have become much stricter and you're pro-life stance would be a deal-killer for them. Your defining moment will probably be "personal responsibility".

Well, as an Independant Libertarian, I may be called "moderate" by some. Since I usually piss off both CBTNY (the Right) AND Bitonti (the Left), I think I'm pretty close to the middle, all considered. :D

However, in reallity, I'm not in the middle at all. My views are strongly held and arrogantly argued, and somewhat extreme too, but are "extreme" on BOTH the left and the right, depending on the issue. On Abortion, I'm far right-ish. On Personal Freedom (i.e. drug use, prostitution, etc.) I am far leftish. It all depends on the issue at hand.

And yes, I support my President AND the War on Terror, but I too disagree with the tactics and strategy being used.

Even the Libertarians, whom I like alot, don't fit me exactly, specifically due to their "open border" position. That one I simply cannot go along with, as I am a protectionist of the most "Pat Buchanan" stripe. But other than that, the Lib(ertarian)s are the closest party available for me.

But as a minor third party......I know my vote is pretty much wasted. But it's a worthwhile waste. The two "major" parties are so corrupt and self-important, that I belive they BOTH choose Party over country on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-07-2005 at 09:48 AM.

Count me in as well. (BTW, quantum, I think the republicans are a bit bigger on party-discipline that the dems, still. Unfortunately, the dems are getting closer).

Moderate position on abortion - a 26 week cut-off roughly correlating with true viability (if you haven't made the decision in 26 weeks, don't complain to me, I have no sympathy. If you didn't know you were pregnant, ditto).

Iraq - support the war, hate the implementation, no choice but to keep going, wish we could do it with some sort of plan (which only lately seems to have been put together)

Taxes - the Bush cuts were a disgrace. He took surplus projections and ran with them, before 9/11 and Iraq made it clear we would need that money. Fine. But pushing to make them permanent after the projections switched to a deficit? Ridiculous.

Nationalized healthcare - it's the only system that makes sense. Insurance companies have done little to nothing to stem the rising cost of healthcare and tying insurance to employment leads to Wal-martesque abuses (workers stuck at 39hrs a week) and catastrophic consequences for people who get downsized or are otherwise out of work, and their famillies as well. Medicare, on the other hand, does a great job of keeping costs down (when it can use its bulk to negotiate better rates - stupid drug benefit bill :steamin: ). Medicare for everyone makes sense. And it would lower business costs by eliminating the cost of insuring workers, which could only spur the economy.

Gay rights - nothing wrong with legalizing gay marriage, in my opinion, but there's also nothing wrong with limiting tax benefits to heterosexual married couples, either.

Above all, I want politicians who will vote their conscience, not their platform, and there are far too few of those on either side of the aisle these days.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=doggin94it]Count me in as well. (BTW, quantum, I think the republicans are a bit bigger on party-discipline that the dems, still. Unfortunately, the dems are getting closer).

[/QUOTE]

Log Cabin Republicans vs (what group of pro-life Dems?) ?

Sooooo not happening. :(

All League
    [QUOTE=doggin94it]Count me in as well. (BTW, quantum, I think the republicans are a bit bigger on party-discipline that the dems, still. Unfortunately, the dems are getting closer).

Moderate position on abortion - a 26 week cut-off roughly correlating with true viability (if you haven't made the decision in 26 weeks, don't complain to me, I have no sympathy. If you didn't know you were pregnant, ditto).

Iraq - support the war, hate the implementation, no choice but to keep going, wish we could do it with some sort of plan (which only lately seems to have been put together)

Taxes - the Bush cuts were a disgrace. He took surplus projections and ran with them, before 9/11 and Iraq made it clear we would need that money. Fine. But pushing to make them permanent after the projections switched to a deficit? Ridiculous.

Nationalized healthcare - it's the only system that makes sense. Insurance companies have done little to nothing to stem the rising cost of healthcare and tying insurance to employment leads to Wal-martesque abuses (workers stuck at 39hrs a week) and catastrophic consequences for people who get downsized or are otherwise out of work, and their famillies as well. Medicare, on the other hand, does a great job of keeping costs down (when it can use its bulk to negotiate better rates - stupid drug benefit bill :steamin: ). Medicare for everyone makes sense. And it would lower business costs by eliminating the cost of insuring workers, which could only spur the economy.

Gay rights - nothing wrong with legalizing gay marriage, in my opinion, but there's also nothing wrong with limiting tax benefits to heterosexual married couples, either.

Above all, I want politicians who will vote their conscience, not their platform, and there are far too few of those on either side of the aisle these days.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you there, except for the War, which I disagreed with before it started and still do.

I'm also for the legalization of Marijuana, it's not any worse than and in many ways better than alcohol.

[QUOTE=Warfish]But as a minor third party......I know my vote is pretty much wasted. But it's a worthwhile waste. The two "major" parties are so corrupt and self-important, that I belive they BOTH choose Party over country on a regular basis.[/QUOTE]

This is my idea:

the JI political forum should come up with a political platform. We fight like cats and dogs but are all looking for an alternative. We write essays on government and world affairs why not start a political party!

the new Bull Moose - get Guiliani and McCain to team up and run it would be gangbusters.

one day ill get off my fat @ss and start the thread. Real third parties can win elections.

[IMG]http://www.panamafishingandcatching.com/gatun/teddy_close.jpg[/IMG]
    remember it has happened before:

I consider myself a middle of the road person. I am conservative in many issues. I am however very anti Bush. I consider him a liar who is self motivated to help increase profits for himself and his inside cronies. His personal war against Iraq will spell doom for the Republican party. He is like Nero with the fiddle.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm a liberal.

[QUOTE=FloridaJet]I consider him a liar who is self motivated to help increase profits for himself and his inside cronies. [/QUOTE]
    I see. On what mythical planet are these profits being kept? Or by "cronies" do you mean every oil company on the planet?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jets5ever]I'm a liberal.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - choked on my Diet Coke. B!tch. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FloridaJet]I consider myself a middle of the road person. I am conservative in many issues. I am however very anti Bush. I consider him a liar who is self motivated to help increase profits for himself and his inside cronies. His personal war against Iraq will spell doom for the Republican party. He is like Nero with the fiddle.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it was a lyre, but thanks for playing.

(oooh - bonus points for unintended pun! I rock!)

Veteran
    I consider myself a centrist, my posts on this forum ( the little I have ) would lead someone to believe I'm a Lib, I guess I'm a lib on social issues and conservative on fiscal issues. My major complaint is that the current administration is NOT conservative on spending and of course not liberal on social issues, if Republicans are going to act like Democrats , whats the point ? Mccain and Liberman are my kind of guys , Kennedy and Delay both are not, I'm all for the gang of 14 , that sort of stuff.

[QUOTE=quantum]Actually, it was a lyre, but thanks for playing.

(oooh - bonus points for unintended pun! I rock!)[/QUOTE]

You are very welcome...

Thank u for your snide remarks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FloridaJet]You are very welcome...

Thank u for your snide remarks.[/QUOTE]

Sure - np. See my comments in another thread about fighting fire with fire. ;)

[QUOTE=broadwayjoe2]Damn it seems to me that this entire forum is either far right or far left extremists.

Anyways.... that's my rant. Man oh man do I wish that Ross Perot's idea of a third party would have materialized.[/QUOTE]
    Dude,
    These are all just labels. The only thing that matters is what you believe in. Then you can assosiate yourself with whatever label you feel obligated to. I on the other hand do not like labels, and also have mixed views. Most of my views would be called liberal, but I consider myself a thinker, and if liberal means thinker, then that is what I am under the labels.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sack Exchange]Dude,
    These are all just labels. The only thing that matters is what you believe in. Then you can assosiate yourself with whatever label you feel obligated to. I on the other hand do not like labels, and also have mixed views. Most of my views would be called liberal, but I consider myself a thinker, and if liberal means thinker, then that is what I am under the labels.[/QUOTE]

Liberal doesn't mean thinker...just an FYI. :) ;)

[QUOTE=jets5ever]Liberal doesn't mean thinker...just an FYI. :) ;)[/QUOTE]
    FYI Conservative does mean tight a**

;)

I vote Pro-life--everything else is secondary, including party. All things being equal, if Kerry was Pro-life and Bush Pro-abortion, Kerry would have got my vote.

BTW, how can one be "moderate" on abortion? You either think killing babies is OK or not. At what period of the pregnancy you kill it is irrelevant. I guess if a mother kills her newborn that's not as bad as killing her toddler or preschooler.......???