Thread: Please tell me no one believes this....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Please tell me no one believes this....

...this man is a disgrace to Americans, never mind Democrats...

[url]http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/D8CFNMPG0.html[/url]

Dean: Race Played a Role in Katrina Deaths
    Sep 07 7:44 PM US/Eastern

By DENISE KALETTE
    Associated Press Writer

MIAMI

Race was a factor in the death toll from Hurricane Katrina, Howard Dean told members of the National Baptist Convention of America on Wednesday at the group's annual meeting.

Dean, chairman of the Democratic party, made the comments to the Baptists' Political and Social Justice Commission. The Baptist Convention, with an estimated 3.5 million members, is one of the largest black religious groups in the country.

[B]"We must ... come to terms with the ugly truth that skin colorage, age and economics played a deadly role in who survived and who did not," Dean said.[/B]

Dean said Americans have a moral responsibility to not ignore the devastating damage caused by Hurricane Katrina when it struck the Gulf Coast.

The former presidential candidate said the government will be judged by how it treats the old, the young and the poor.

"People are poor in different parts of the country. They are not refugees. They are Americans," he said.

Dean said that instead of considering proposed estate tax breaks, the Senate should channel the money into disaster relief.

"Shall we give that to the wealthiest people in the country, or should we rebuild New Orleans?" Dean said.

Dean also urged the government to exempt victims of Hurricane Katrina from a stricter new bankruptcy law for one year.

Ken Mehlman, Dean's counterpart at the Republican National Committee, said he hoped Dean "will match his rhetoric with his support for reforms that replace bureaucracy and entitlement with hope and opportunity."

Stephen J. Thurston, president of the Baptist Convention, said there was a lack of response and sensitivity by the government following the Gulf Coast disaster.

....the economics, well that is well established, if you don't have a car, you can not drive out, (see flooded buses Mr. Mayor) age, again it is toughest for the elderly in every aspect of life, the race card, how predictable...this is the crap that is ruining America

Banned
    [QUOTE=jetswin]
    [B]"We must ... come to terms with the ugly truth that skin colorage, age and economics played a deadly role in who survived and who did not," Dean said.[/B][/QUOTE]

not entirely un-true. racisim still exists on a major scale, its just not as publiced and out there so we think it doesent happen. and if it were up to the govt everybody that turns 65 dies, it costs the govt a lot to support that age group, ironic since most of the suites in washington are no far from that age.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ChipShot]not entirely un-true. racisim still exists on a major scale, its just not as publiced and out there so we think it doesent happen. and if it were up to the govt everybody that turns 65 dies, it costs the govt a lot to support that age group, ironic since most of the suites in washington are no far from that age.[/QUOTE]

dude- do you really think you have any clue as to what you are talking about?? How does the age of 65 play into it?? And further- why was 65 originally considered "retirement age"???

This article just goes to show what our political system has come to. For all I want to believe in our system and this great country, its hard for me to have a positive outlook when we have lunatics such as Dean in a position to affect so many.

Cant believe the Dems picked this man to run ship. :eek:

[QUOTE=ChipShot]not entirely un-true. racisim still exists on a major scale, its just not as publiced and out there so we think it doesent happen. and if it were up to the govt everybody that turns 65 dies, it costs the govt a lot to support that age group, ironic since most of the suites in washington are no far from that age.[/QUOTE]

As for you cheap shot, racisim does still exist in this country and around the world and it is bred by all nationalities and racists. To make an argument that some how the Catastrophe that Katrina is, is in effect race related is one of the most assinine, ignorant and self-defeating comments one can make. I could understand it coming from you chipshot since I understand you to have the intellectual level of a golf ball, it just amazes me that the Democrats leader can even think the same thing.

All League
    Yeah it is rediculous.

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them," Mrs.[Barbera] Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace"

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Section109Row15]Yeah it is rediculous.

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them," Mrs.[Barbera] Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace"[/QUOTE]

Like most libs that's a good way to post half of what Mrs. Bush said in order to twist the facts...

but hey, keepin people pooor is what the rats need to do in order to secure their voting base so is it any wonder Mayor Naggin didn't use the buses?

All League
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]Like most libs that's a good way to post half of what Mrs. Bush said in order to twist the facts...

but hey, keepin people pooor is what the rats need to do in order to secure their voting base so is it any wonder Mayor Naggin didn't use the buses?[/QUOTE]

[url="http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=20080"]http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=20080[/url]

[b][left][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=5][b]Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor [/b][/size][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b]by John Nichols[/b][/size][/font][/left]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Finally, we have discovered the roots of George W. Bush's "compassionate conservatism." On the heels of the president's "What, me worry?" response to the death, destruction and dislocation that followed upon Hurricane Katrina comes the news of his mother's Labor Day visit with hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston.

Commenting on the facilities that have been set up for the evacuees -- cots crammed side-by-side in a huge stadium where the lights never go out and the sound of sobbing children never completely ceases -- former First Lady Barbara Bush concluded that the poor people of New Orleans had lucked out.

"Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this, this is working very well for them," Mrs. Bush told American Public Media's "Marketplace" program, before returning to her multi-million dollar Houston home.

On the tape of the interview, Mrs. Bush chuckles audibly as she observes just how great things are going for families that are separated from loved ones, people who have been forced to abandon their homes and the only community where they have ever lived, and parents who are explaining to children that their pets, their toys and in some cases their friends may be lost forever. Perhaps the former first lady was amusing herself with the notion that evacuees without bread could eat cake.

At the very least, she was expressing a measure of empathy commensurate with that evidenced by her son during his fly-ins for disaster-zone photo opportunities.

On Friday, when even Republican lawmakers were giving the federal government an "F" for its response to the crisis, President Bush heaped praise on embattled Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Michael Brown. As thousands of victims of the hurricane continued to plead for food, water, shelter, medical care and a way out of the nightmare to which federal neglect had consigned them, Brown cheerily announced that "people are getting the help they need."

Barbara Bush's son put his arm around the addled FEMA functionary and declared, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Like mother, like son.

Even when a hurricane hits, the apple does not fall far from the tree.

[/size][/font][/b]

"Excuse me, Governor Dean. As a former state governor do you think it was right for Louisiana Governor Blanco to order a shoot-to-kill directive for police and military personnel entering New Orleans knowing that they were going into an almost entirely African-American area? Your response, Governor Dean?"

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Section109Row15][url="http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=20080"]http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat?bid=1&pid=20080[/url]

[b][left][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=5][b]Barbara Bush: It's Good Enough for the Poor [/b][/size][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b]by John Nichols[/b][/size][/font][/left]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2] [/QUOTE]

John Nichols..the Nation...nah, he'll tell the whole story.

Just like your comment about Presidential vacations you've once again convinced me! :yes:

For the record- the conversation with Mrs.Bush started as many of the evacuees, who had nothing to go back to in NO, have stated they like Houston so much they plan on staying there and building new lives for themselves...but it is beyond a sc^mbag like Nichols to tell the whole story...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-08-2005 at 10:42 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]John Nichols..the Nation...nah, he'll tell the whole story.

Just like your comment about Presidential vacations you've once again convinced me! :yes:[/QUOTE]

I'm convinced that if Bush took a crap in your mouth you would say thank you.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Section109Row15]I'm convinced that if Bush took a crap in your mouth you would say thank you.[/QUOTE]

intelligent liberal response....you must share notes with bitonti or go to the same Mother Jones meetings with him...

"About that shoot-to-kill order, Governor. What's your opinion?"

Anyone here want to answer for Governor Dean?

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]"About that shoot-to-kill order, Governor. What's your opinion?"

Anyone here want to answer for Governor Dean?[/QUOTE]

Howard Dean is a jackass and a good example of the type of people who become governors of backwater states.

You guys are on the board blaming Blanco, don't you know she's in the same tier of politician as howard dean?

That's the type of people that are governors of backwater states or mayors of second/third rate cities: Incompetant buffoons that certainly cannot be expected to deal competantly in the face of a pending natural disaster.

The federal government MUST supplement the local and state governments when the s--t hits the fan. Otherwise we are putting our faith into the Howard Deans of the world.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Howard Dean is a jackass and a good example of the type of people who become governors of backwater states.

You guys are on the board blaming Blanco, don't you know she's in the same tier of politician as howard dean?

That's the type of people that are governors of backwater states or mayors of second/third rate cities: Incompetant buffoons that certainly cannot be expected to deal competantly in the face of a pending natural disaster.

The federal government MUST supplement the local and state governments when the s--t hits the fan. Otherwise we are putting our faith into the Howard Deans of the world.[/QUOTE]

Bit

that goes against everything the constitution stood for. Power was to be decentralized. I would have a major problem if Bush could just supercede a govenor at will. The centralization of gov't power has gone insane: Roe v Wade, drinking age (i know, its stiill a state issue but you won't get federal highway dollars unless u play ball,) No child left behind and other centralized edu programs.

I have a MAJOR problem with what you suggest. Maybe we should hold people more accountable for the people THEY elect. You made your own bed. I don't agree with the level of eliteism you suggest.

[QUOTE=bitonti]Howard Dean is a jackass and a good example of the type of people who become governors of backwater states.

The federal government MUST supplement the local and state governments when the s--t hits the fan. Otherwise we are putting our faith into the Howard Deans of the world.[/QUOTE]

If a similar situation occurred in NYC (say, Harlem) and Republican Governor George Pataki ordered a shoot-to-kill directive there would be race riots where I am right now. Pataki would be dead.

Why Republicans aren't seizing this shoot-to-kill order issue is a mystery to me!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]If a similar situation occurred in NYC (say, Harlem) and Republican Governor George Pataki ordered a shoot-to-kill directive there would be race riots where I am right now. Pataki would be dead.

Why Republicans aren't seizing this shoot-to-kill order issue is a mystery to me![/QUOTE]

Because they'll be called racists!

Jets Insider VIP
    Dean is just what the mouth-foamers wanted; and while he's getting some cash in from the lunatic fringe, he's helping Repubs in ways he can't even comprehend. We won't see a Dim president or control of either house for years.

[QUOTE=Lawyers, Guns and Money]that goes against everything the constitution stood for. [/QUOTE]

LGM that's all well and good in theory but in practice the states rights side of the consitution has been dead and buried for years. Large centralized federal government with all the brains. money and power has been the status quo since the days of FDR.

For example I live in Philadelphia, if something bad happened I would have zero faith that Mayor John Street (under investigation by the FBI for corruption) would do a bang up job looking out for my interests.

What I am trying to say is that the system you describe would be optimal but it is far from the reality.

The reality is that in times of emergency, politicans like Blanco, Dean etc are about as useful and effective as a 1 legged man in an a$$kicking contest.

That's the reality. We can talk about the consitutional intention until we are blue in the face but that's not based in the current makeup of the country. The implication of the federal gov't is they have the real power, the real brains and they are the only ones who are capable of dealing with a Katrina level disaster. We can wish that local gov'ts were stronger and we can blame them for not being stronger but that's not realistic.

The federal government is the only show in town and this has been the case for decades.

put it another way the Federal gov't has been growing in size for years, they have superceeded and co-opted and overruled state laws for years - at a certain point with all of that growth (and spending and taxes) comes responsibility in situations like these.

The US Federal gov't has in many ways undermined the authority of state governments, it's a little bit hypocritical to suddenly go back to the states-rights centric view of American politics to pass the buck back down the food chain.

Even the supreme court has ruled this way. Just a couple months ago California law on medicial pot is thrown out in favor of federal law, now there's a disaster we are going to say States actually superceed the Federal level? It's just not true.
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-08-2005 at 12:15 PM.