Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a clear majority of Americans know the deal

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

a clear majority of Americans know the deal

[QUOTE]In the Pew survey, 67 percent of 1,000 adults interviewed by telephone Sept. 6-7 said Bush could have done more to speed up relief efforts; 28 percent said he did everything possible. [/QUOTE]

You guys try to marginalize me and posters like me as raving fringe extremists.

Guess what I'm in the majority now. Ya'll are the fringe now - how does it feel to be so extreme and so far flung from the common sense views of the American population???

[url]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aRkZB.b60HiY&refer=us[/url]

also from the article (about two major polls not just one)

[QUOTE] A poll by the Pew Research Center for People and the Press gives him an overall job approval rating of 40 percent -- down 10 percent since January -- and a disapproval rating of 52 percent, among the highest of his presidency.

Bush's job approval rating was 41 percent in a Zogby America poll, the lowest in that poll's history, and 53 percent of those questioned said the nation is headed in the ``wrong direction.'' [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Hurricane Katrina produced a ``major shift in public priorities,'' according to Pew. For the first time since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a majority of Americans now believe it is more important for the president to focus on domestic issues than the war on terrorism.

When asked what should be a priority for the president, 56 percent said ``domestic policy,'' an increase of 16 percentage points since January. Twenty-five percent said Bush's top priority should be fighting terrorism, a 19-point decline from January.

The Pew survey shows Bush's support among Republicans is strong but slipping, and since his support among Democrats and self-described independents remains consistent, [B]Bush's declining approval is linked directly to that slippage within his own party.[/B] [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-09-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]You guys try to marginalize me and posters like me as raving fringe extremists.

Guess what I'm in the majority now. Ya'll are the fringe now - how does it feel to be so extreme and so far flung from the common sense views of the American population???

[url]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=aRkZB.b60HiY&refer=us[/url][/QUOTE]

Thats the most bogus question I have ever seen.

If the question read "How many American love the Jets?" Would you title your headline read "99% of Americans hate the Jets?"
    Last edited by Lawyers, Guns and Money; 09-09-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lawyers, Guns and Money]Thats the most bogus question I have ever seen.

If the question read "How many American love the Jets?" Would you title your headline 99% of Americans hate the Jets?[/QUOTE]

i don't understand this response at all. Please elaborate.

I don't make the news I am just reporting it.

You guys didn't have trouble with Pew and Zogby when they were reporting 87% approval after 9-11. Now all of a sudden they are invalid measurements when they don't say what you want them to say?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    bit - stop while you stil have some credibility and dignity. Please.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course he "could have done more." He could have hijacked the constitution. This question is complete bogus.

You can always "do more." That means crap

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]i don't understand this response at all. Please elaborate.

You guys didn't have trouble with Pew and Zogby when they were reporting 87% approval after 9-11. Now all of a sudden they are invalid measurements when they don't say what you want them to say?[/QUOTE]

sorry, forgot the word "read." My point is teh question is worded to illicted a ccertain response. You can always "Do more." Every hear of something called "diminishing returns?" Trust me, I am not saying that that law comes into play here, but teh wording of teh question is set up to illict a negative response.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]i don't understand this response at all. Please elaborate.

You guys didn't have trouble with Pew and Zogby when they were reporting 87% approval after 9-11. Now all of a sudden they are invalid measurements when they don't say what you want them to say?[/QUOTE]

For the record - Zogby was telling everyone who would listen a few days prior to the election that Kerry was going to win in a blowout, based on his polling.

LG&M hit the nail on the head. I think Bush could have done more. Who wouldn't say that? That's not the same as blaming him.

Yeah, poll numbers are fickle and change like the wind. Bush's numbers are down, and his party SHOULD stand up to him...this is a good thing. Maybe they'll start acting like Republicans again...wouldn't that be great! Right now, that party is all about big government watsefulness and largesse...it's awful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your reading comprehension skills are still lacking.

First poll posted said: There was a national poll the other day where only 14% blamed bush as the biggest reason for the katrina problems.

The poll you cited talked about "bush doing more".

You are on the fringe with the 14% who continue to blame bush as the main reason for the katrina problems.
    Last edited by Jetcane; 09-09-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    comical- 1100 people surveyed represent a "clear majority of Americans"....completely comical...

[QUOTE]For the record - Zogby was telling everyone who would listen a few days prior to the election that Kerry was going to win in a blowout, based on his polling.[/QUOTE]

Up until the Sunday prior to the election he was spouting it...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=6]
    [I][B]13% felt Bush more responsible[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]

marginalized

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Bitonti the one who keeps telling us how stupid the majority of Americans are?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper]Isn't Bitonti the one who keeps telling us how stupid the majority of Americans are?[/QUOTE]

LOL no to clarify i think the majority of ALL People are stupid.

Very fair and funny remark Piper.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti]LOL no to clarify i think the majority of ALL People are stupid.

Very fair and funny remark Piper.[/QUOTE]

Just trying to keep it light.

Have fun on Sunday

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin]A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 609 adults taken September 5-6 shows:

Blame Game -- 13% said George W. Bush is "most responsible for the problems in New Orleans after the hurricane"; 18% said "federal agencies"; 25% said "state and local officials"; 38% said "no one is to blame"; 6% had no opinion. -- 29% said that "top officials in the federal agencies responsible for handling emergencies should be fired"; 63% said they should not; 8% had no opinion.

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=6]
    [I][B]13% felt Bush more responsible[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]

marginalized[/QUOTE]

That's the poll I saw.

I give a lot of credit to the 38% who said no one is to blame.
    The blame game gets soooo old.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]comical- 1100 people surveyed represent a "clear majority of Americans"....completely comical...

Up until the Sunday prior to the election he was spouting it...[/QUOTE]

Take a stat class. Do you regard any polls?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]That's the poll I saw.

I give a lot of credit to the 38% who said no one is to blame.
    The blame game gets soooo old.[/QUOTE]

If you think everyone did their job competently, you're not paying attention.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read my previous posts you would know i think ragin nagin and blanco effed it all up.

But i still admire people who refuse to play the blame game

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]If you read my previous posts you would know i think ragin nagin and blanco effed it all up.

But i still admire people who refuse to play the blame game[/QUOTE]

Holding people accountable for mistakes is a way to help prevent future ones from happening. What transpired was not okay, and US citizens should not make our leaders feel like their leadership was satisfactory.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "could have done more" is the ready-made comment for challengers. Remember Kerry--on every issue "we can do more/better." In an imperfect world there's always room to do better, but sometimes no matter how hard we try we seldom do better! Since no one's perfect how close to perfect can "better" get?

And when some disaster happens that we've never had before, we seldom handle it well. And in the case of NOLA, the count was 0-2 to begin with.

1-80% of city below sea level
    2-surrounded on three sides by water so limited roads for evacuation

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real failure was the horrible job of the mayor and governor ignoring their constituents before the storm, but i suspect that those who place no blame have a personal resonsibility credo, and probably believe people needed to act for their own good.

Relying on the govt to feed you, house you, move you, and clothe you is not the best way to go.