Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katrina, the race card, and the welfare state

Katrina, the race card, and the welfare state

by Larry Elder

[QUOTE] In the case of Hurricane Katrina, government failed to do its most essential job -- protecting people and property. Yes, state, local and federal officials failed to appreciate the severity and gravity of this storm and its aftermath, and failed to properly evacuate the citizens from New Orleans. But how does this add up to racism?

---------

CNN's Wolf Blitzer replied, " . . . You simply get chills every time you see these poor individuals, as Jack Cafferty just pointed out, so tragically, so many of these people, almost all of them that we see, are so poor, and they are so black, and this is gonna raise lots of questions for people who are watching this story unfold."

----------------

The so-called "black leaders," of course, led the race card parade. The Congressional Black Caucus's Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif., described those suffering as "sons and daughters of slaves." NAACP attorney Damon Hewitt said, "If the majority of the folks left behind were white individuals, and most of the folks who were able to escape on their own were African Americans, then I wouldn't be sitting here right now.
    [/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/le20050908.shtml]More here[/URL]

So, Diane, would the black community be better off if no slaves were ever brought to USA? Would they be better off in Africa? How many "poor" Africans do you see with a cell phone stuck in their ear? How many have cable TV? Or cars?

Yes, slavery was bad, but w/o it you might not be making $100K+/year.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

bop around the internet tonight to some of the sites (Yahoo!, AT&T) which post news headlines....the other day, in big bold letters it read [B]HURRICANE DEATH TOLL MAY HIT 10,000[/B]...

Now, all of a sudden, at the bottom in small print it reads "Katrina Death Toll May Not Hit 10,000 (AP)" almost as if they are dissapointed...

goes back to a thread started by Warfish about the goulish coverage by the news of this and many, including myself, stated they just about do it with gleee...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Welfare State?

Consider this:

On radio today I heard News coverage (Not right wing radio, just news radio) about FEMA getting "FEMA Debit Cards" into the area to GIVE to the victims (not a loan, a gift). These cards apparently (according to this report) are for $2,000 each, and FEMA will be handing them out like candy on Holloween.

Then they go strait to a soundbite from one victim, which I'll paraphrase here:

"$2,000? Dat ain't nuttin', I gots eight mouts to feed, I need $10,000 at least, they owe me dat."

THAT quote, the utter arrogance and assurity of the voice (as in "They OWE me $10K at LEAST, AT LEAST...") speaking it, showed me the kind of place, and the kind of people our country (specifically the Left) has created in terms of a Welfare, the World Owes ME EVERYTHING, mentallity.

I get that he has eight family members, and I feel for him, but NO ONE owes him anything. HE choose to live in N.O. when it was common knowledge a HGurricaine could crush it. No one forced him to have 7 kids. No one forced him to stay when the storm was approaching. These were all choices HE made, not us. We owe him help....that is human nature and the right thing to do. But we do NOT owe him what he seems to think we owe him.

Personal Responsabillity is Dead. Long Live the Welfare State :(

[QUOTE=Warfish]Welfare State?

Then they go strait to a soundbite from one victim, which I'll paraphrase here:

"$2,000? Dat ain't nuttin', I gots eight mouts to feed, I need $10,000 at least, they owe me dat." :([/QUOTE]

Did this guy speak for all blacks? One blackman said something and the whole thing becomes reverse racisim? It is a damn shame that some black leaders starting using the race card. It just gave cannon fodder to the extremist on the other side. This thing was a tragic event that happened to [B]AMERICANS[/B]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FloridaJet]Did this guy speak for all blacks? One blackman said something and the whole thing becomes reverse racisim? It is a damn shame that some black leaders starting using the race card. It just gave cannon fodder to the extremist on the other side. This thing was a tragic event that happened to [B]AMERICANS[/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you are the one making assumptions. Who said racism in Fishers post? Just you.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=FloridaJet]Did this guy speak for all blacks? One blackman said something and the whole thing becomes reverse racisim? It is a damn shame that some black leaders starting using the race card. It just gave cannon fodder to the extremist on the other side. This thing was a tragic event that happened to [B]AMERICANS[/B][/QUOTE]

Where does Warfish say the victim was black? What warfish was commenting on, and I agree with him on, is how people in this country are ENTITLED to help from the government. "Life, Liberty and the PURSUIT of Happiness" my friends. You aren't ENTITLED to a happy ending!!

This is what ercks me. We are supposed to be a free people. FREEDOM!
    With freedom comes responsibility. That is the essense of my political position. We are supposed to be a free people:politically, religously, economically etc. But the direction this country is moving is away from that. My economic FREEDOM is being taken away from me by Social Security.

This country was built on freedom, not on some concept that we all deserve happiness. This sense of ENTITLEMENT leads to statements like the one Warfish paraphrased.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

obviously you've been out of the country the past two weeks....

Ah, so you "assumed" Fish was talking about a black person, huh? Why?

BTW, did you read the entire article written by Larry Elder? Do you know that he is black? Of course, he's an oreo--you know, has a white streak down his back b/c he doesn't dance to the race baiting black leader's tune.
    Last edited by asuusa; 09-09-2005 at 11:28 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Who said he was Black? :rolleyes: Sounded like southern white-trash to me, but I suppose he could have been Black. It WAS radio remember. And honestly, I could give a rats-arse WHAT color he was, Welfare Mentallity knows no color bounds.

Interesting in that you assumed he was black......

Jeez, must have hit a sensitive spot with you guys. The only time out of this country for me was 1966-67 doing a tour in Nam. All of you have the right to say what ever you wish. I naturally assumed he was Black being that NO is 70 % black. Happy you didn't give a rats arse about it but you can bet that other listeners assumed he was black as well and it it can only inflame the nutty fringe. I don't believe in the race card and it doesn't matter which sides uses it. I have no use for Blacks or Anglos using it as it can lead to excuses for hate.

Come Back to NY..You are very special. Love your post's.

:peace:

[QUOTE]I naturally assumed he was Black being that NO is 70 % black.[/QUOTE]

That was not an unreasonable assumption, given the demographics.

We do know he is poor, as the 10K that he wants wouldnt even cover our furnishings if we lost everything in a flood.

We also know he doesnt practice birth control, and apparently hasnt adequately protected or provided for his family.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FloridaJet]

:peace:[/QUOTE]

I aim to please..... :afro:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FloridaJet]Jeez, must have hit a sensitive spot with you guys. The only time out of this country for me was 1966-67 doing a tour in Nam. All of you have the right to say what ever you wish. I naturally assumed he was Black being that NO is 70 % black. Happy you didn't give a rats arse about it but you can bet that other listeners assumed he was black as well and it it can only inflame the nutty fringe. I don't believe in the race card and it doesn't matter which sides uses it. I have no use for Blacks or Anglos using it as it can lead to excuses for hate.

:peace:[/QUOTE]

FJ - correct me if I"m wrong, but your definition of "extremist" and "nutty fringe" seems to be anyone who espouses personal responsibility as a mandatory requirement for good citizen and mature adult. I believe that's what a lot of threads here boil down to, and I don't think its asking too much of people to act in a mature, responsible way. When people don't, that's what causes problems in society, and the world.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetcane]That was not an unreasonable assumption, given the demographics.

We do know he is poor, as the 10K that he wants wouldnt even cover our furnishings if we lost everything in a flood.

We also know he doesnt practice birth control, and apparently hasnt adequately protected or provided for his family.[/QUOTE]

You can furnish an entire house, fill the fridge and freezer with food for a month, put a deposit and a months rent on an apartment and get a friggin job. Don't believe it? I did it with $5k after college 9 yrs ago.

P.S. This is why there is such a thing called insurance. Oh, he didn't buy it? Too f'ing bad. That $6.00/mo on a renter's policy must have taken first friday's Burger King dinner night out away from his 6 children. Boo Friggin Hoo.

Yes, but on a college budget you are thinking small.
    Thats my point- I guess i didnt say it well, but for a middle class family with 7 or 8 kids to get up and running again, the head of household is thinking bigger than 10K.

This guy is thinking small potatoes, so i figured he didnt have much to begin with. Not even enough to consider insuring.

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]You can furnish an entire house, fill the fridge and freezer with food for a month, put a deposit and a months rent on an apartment and get a friggin job. Don't believe it? I did it with $5k after college 9 yrs ago.

P.S. This is why there is such a thing called insurance. Oh, he didn't buy it? Too f'ing bad. That $6.00/mo on a renter's policy must have taken first friday's Burger King dinner night out away from his 6 children. Boo Friggin Hoo.[/QUOTE]

Yes, everyone who didn't get insurance was simply an idiot... or, they weren't able to buy it

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=BrooklynBound]Yes, everyone who didn't get insurance was simply an idiot... or, they weren't able to buy it[/QUOTE]

The only reason why someone wouldn't be able to buy a "content", "personal articles" or "renters policy" is because they were too damn stupid to or had nothing to insure to begin with. In which case, the $2k they were given puts them in better shape than they were before the hurricane.

I lease a pretty decent house, have decent stuff in it an I have a whole house content policy for $50k, certainly more than the replacement value of my stuff (less her jewelry which is insured separately). This policy cost me a whopping $14/month. There is no qualifying for it, no credit check, no reason to NOT have one.

[QUOTE=JetFanTransplant]The only reason why someone wouldn't be able to buy a "content", "personal articles" or "renters policy" is because they were too damn stupid to or had nothing to insure to begin with. In which case, the $2k they were given puts them in better shape than they were before the hurricane.

[/QUOTE]

Or, they live in poverty. You know, the condition that you have zero perspective on?

[QUOTE=quantum]FJ - correct me if I"m wrong, but your definition of "extremist" and "nutty fringe" seems to be anyone who espouses personal responsibility as a mandatory requirement for good citizen and mature adult. I believe that's what a lot of threads here boil down to, and I don't think its asking too much of people to act in a mature, responsible way. When people don't, that's what causes problems in society, and the world.[/QUOTE]

Not true. I don't believe (Hope not) any poster here is an extremist or on the nutty fringe. I simply am stating a personal opinion about what the possibilities are when people continually express the view from the right side. Don't you express yourself when you read post from Bitoni? All I look for is balance from both sides. I don't believe our president acted responsible on Iraq, oil profits, health care, and other issues. These are issues I feel very strongly about because many of them affect me personally as I am retired. I voted for Bush (both of them) as well as Nixon, and Goldwater. I feel betrayed by Bush and his cronies.

[QUOTE=FloridaJet]Not true. I don't believe (Hope not) any poster here is an extremist or on the nutty fringe. I simply am stating a personal opinion about what the possibilities are when people continually express the view from the right side. Don't you express yourself when you read post from Bitoni? All I look for is balance from both sides. I don't believe our president acted responsible on Iraq, oil profits, health care, and other issues. These are issues I feel very strongly about because many of them affect me personally as I am retired. I voted for Bush (both of them) as well as Nixon, and Goldwater. I feel betrayed by Bush and his cronies.[/QUOTE]

If you voted for Goldwater and Nixon, you must be a dyed in the wool Repub. Which is fine :)
    but why do you feel betrayed? All the issues you mentioned were out in the open when you voted in Nov 04.
    You may be disappointed in some of the administrations policies, as am I, but I dont feel betrayed on any of them except possibly the illegal immigration issue, which has come to the forefront after the election.