Thread: Katrina, Racism in rumors??

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Katrina, Racism in rumors??

Just offering a flip-side to Shakin's post.

[url]http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3340879[/url]

Presence of evacuees spurs rumors of violence
    Police say there is no epidemic of crime at any of the relief centers
    By STEVE MCVICKER
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
    HURRICANE KATRINA

While the city of Houston and many of its residents have embraced thousands of Hurricane Katrina victims, the relocation of those evacuees to this city has, for some Houstonians, generated an undercurrent of trepidation. And over the past several days those fears have manifested themselves in rumors circulated by word of mouth, e-mails, blogs and telephone.

For example:

On Saturday, a woman called the Houston Chronicle news desk to ask if the Astros game at Minute Maid Park had been canceled, saying she understood downtown was unsafe because evacuees were being housed in the George R. Brown Convention Center.

In an e-mail to the Chronicle, a man insisted that his friend was raped "by those dirty pieces of filth"at the Reliant Astrodome where she had gone to help distribute food.

A blog produced by two evacuee assistance volunteers reported that a child had been raped at the Astrodome on Saturday, and that a 12-year-old girl had narrowly escaped assault by a man in a women's restroom there.

However, Houston police officials, as well as evacuees at the Astrodome who spoke to the Chronicle Monday, were adamant that, despite the rumors, there is no crime epidemic at any of the relocation centers.

At a Reliant Park press conference this morning, authorities said that with the exception of a couple fights, there have been no arrests for violent crime at any of the facilities. There have been 37 arrests so far, from disorderly conduct to public intoxication. There have been two reports of sexual assaults, but one proved to be unfounded and one is still under investigation

HPD Capt. John Anderson said Monday that a number of weapons and narcotics were confiscated by police after evacuees were given a no-arrest opportunity to leave such contraband on their buses before entering the relief centers.

One of the stories circulating among both the police and the public, is that prisoners from Jefferson Parish were allowed to board some of the Houston-bound evacuation buses and now are among the victims being housed here.

But according to a spokesman for the Louisiana State Police, that commingling of evacuees never happened.

Several evacuees housed in the Astrodome said they have had no security concerns during their stay there.

"The only the complaint I have is about the coffee, and we don't have red beans and rice," said a woman who only identified herself as "Ms. Peaches."

Bobbie Kelly, 51, said she had witnessed a few fights among the evacuees. "It's was kind of rough for a little while," she said.

Police hoped to improve security by implementing an 11 p.m. curfew for the Reliant Park relief centers beginning Monday night, but authorities delayed that for at least a day so signs could be posted and residents could get the word first.

According to a disaster expert, the rumors spawned by the relocation of evacuees here are to be expected.

"There is an enormous change going on in the community," said Michael Lindell of the Hazard Reduction & Recovery Center at Texas A&M University. "But people don't really understand what's going on. And so they start talking to each other. I[b]t happens in all kinds of disasters. The rumors tend to revolve around people's fears of what could happen."

Lindell says, to a degree, racism also can factor into the community fear.

Most of the evacuees being housed at the Astrodome are black.

"Rumors get generated by people who are racially prejudiced, and then those rumors get passed on to other people who aren't necessarily racist," he said.[/b]

Lindell charged that the fear factor also can be indirectly linked to comments by state, local and federal officials.

"They are all saying this is an unprecedented situation because they are trying to absolve themselves from responsibility the emergency response disappearing into a black hole between Sunday and Friday," he said. "I think there are unintended consequences to that message."

<end of article>

It makes me wonder if some of the horrible stories coming out of New Orleans were also based on rumors. I have read that authorities have not been able to substantiate a single rape or murder at the Superdome. No victims or victim family members, no witnesses, nothing.
    Last edited by Lady Jet; 09-09-2005 at 08:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

That's all fine, well and good to hear...but shakin's post is what happened in the Superdome...and it is not the first time.

Last week I posted a story from LAST summer in which 1100 people were housed in the Superdome as hurricane Ivan bore down on the coast...and even with 300 guards on site they had the same rapes, theft and crack smoking....it is around here somewhere if you want to dig it up.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY]...but shakin's post is what happened in the Superdome...

.[/QUOTE]

Is it? Like I said, from everything I've read, these "reports" are all still based in rumor, nothing has been substantiated. Where are the victims? Some rumors suggested to my horror that a child was raped and had her throat cut in the restroom of the Superdome. No such child or any crime scene of such was ever found.

I'll try to find the post you suggest, maybe do a little more digging online as well.

I'm just saying, there have been a lot of "rumors" floating around the media. People were panicked, people were scared, but a lot of times things said have a way of escalating, to the point where everyone believes it actually happened, whether it actually occured or not.

[QUOTE=Lady Jet]Is it? Like I said, from everything I've read, these "reports" are all still based in rumor, nothing has been substantiated. Where are the victims? Some rumors suggested to my horror that a child was raped and had her throat cut in the restroom of the Superdome. No such child or any crime scene of such was ever found.

I'll try to find the post you suggest, maybe do a little more digging online as well.

I'm just saying, there have been a lot of "rumors" floating around the media. People were panicked, people were scared, but a lot of times things said have a way of escalating, to the point where everyone believes it actually happened, whether it actually occured or not.[/QUOTE]

Shh!!!! Or you will get known as a lefist, commie, fidel, loving liberal..

:yes: :yes:

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FloridaJet]Shh!!!! Or you will get known as a lefist, commie, fidel, loving liberal..

:yes: :yes:[/QUOTE]

:D Well so be it then.

Eventually, rumors will be replaced by fact. Only problem is, by the time the truth comes out, so many people are convinced the rumors are "true" that they disregard the facts. Or perhaps not disregard them, but lose interest in the story and never pay attention to the followup.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Lady Jet]:D Well so be it then.

Eventually, rumors will be replaced by fact. [/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15922331&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=our-hell-in-the-terror-dome--name_page.html]Rumor?[/URL]

[URL=http://www.sunderlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1107&ArticleID=1134822]Rumor?[/URL]

[URL=http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0600uk/tm_objectid=15932076&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=hurricane-survivors-get-home-with-tales-of-disgust-and-terror-name_page.html]Rumor?[/URL]

[URL=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1763948,00.html]Rumor?[/URL]

[URL=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/05/wkat105.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/09/05/ixhome.html]Rumor??[/URL]

[URL=http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/172/172478_anarchy_and_agony_in_new_orleans.html]Rumor??[/URL]

[URL=http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20050902T000000-0500_87459_OBS_ANARCHY_IN_NEW_ORLEANS.asp]Rumor???[/URL]

[URL=http://www.canada.com/news/world/story.html?id=8a21e6c5-33f0-432b-805c-5b15dbeaca31]Rumor??[/URL]

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Piling the homework on me huh?

I read the first one, again, I don't see anthing that has been substantiated.

I promise I'll read the rest tomorrow. I'm tired.

Good night, Come Back to New York.