Thread: Rebuilding New Orleans -- and America

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rebuilding New Orleans -- and America

by Thomas Sowell

[QUOTE]The physical devastation caused by hurricane Katrina has painfully revealed the moral devastation of our times that has led to mass looting in New Orleans, assaults on people in shelters, the raping of girls, and shots being fired at helicopters that are trying to rescue people.

Forty years ago, an electric grid failure plunged New York and other northeastern cities into a long blackout. But law and order prevailed. Ordinary citizens went to intersections to direct traffic. People helped each other. After the blackout was over, this experience left many people with an upbeat spirit about their fellow human beings.

Another blackout in New York, years later, was much uglier. And what has been happening now in New Orleans is uglier still. Is there a trend here?[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20050906.shtml]The Rest[/URL]

Hmm...must be there were no poor people in NY 40yrs. ago. :confused:

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas Sowell might want to check his "facts".

Both the FAA and the Dept. of Homeland Security have denied reports of helicopters being fired upon.

The raping of children has also been unsubstantiated.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lady Jet]Thomas Sowell might want to check his "facts".

Both the FAA and the Dept. of Homeland Security have denied reports of helicopters being fired upon.

The raping of children has also been unsubstantiated.[/QUOTE]

They arrested the dirtbag who fired on the Apache last week.

[QUOTE][B]New Orleans Man Arrested, Accused of Shooting at Rescue Helicopter
    The Associated Press
    Published: Sep 6, 2005 [/B]

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A New Orleans man was arrested and charged with shooting at a military rescue helicopter.

Authorities said the bullets apparently did not hit anything.

Wendell Bailey, 20, was taken into custody Monday night by agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The agents were in the neighborhood to investigate neighbors' complaints of gunfire and heard shots from an apartment window as a helicopter flew over.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBFIAAMADE.html[/url]

Out of curiousity; why do have such a tough time believing these things never happened? It's not like it's the first time....

Granted- there will be exagerations and stories made up on BOTH sides of the aisle....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-10-2005 at 09:26 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa]

Hmm...must be there were no poor people in NY 40yrs. ago. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I really believe that people were better off 40 years ago.

:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we always romanticize the past, but to the extent that the world was somewhat simpler back then, you're right.

But- there was a threat of nuclear war back then too.
    And I suspect minorities wouldnt agree, as the voting rights act was only passed 40 years ago, and racism was pervasive.

And you probably hated the anti-war protestors.

And we had a very popular president assasinated 42 years ago.

But, all in all, I get what you're saying, and there are times I really dont envy the young people now who will have to face a very dangerous and polarized world in the decades to come.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FloridaJet]I really believe that people were better off 40 years ago.

:yes:[/QUOTE]

If you edited out "off" you'd be closer to the truth.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY]They arrested the dirtbag who fired on the Apache last week.

[url]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBFIAAMADE.html[/url]

Out of curiousity; why do have such a tough time believing these things never happened? It's not like it's the first time....

Granted- there will be exagerations and stories made up on BOTH sides of the aisle....[/QUOTE]

Comeback, I do not doubt that some of the reports happened. Just not in the exaggerated fashion that is being reported.

Just take this Bailey idiot. Yes, he was arrested for allegedly firing on a military helicoptor.

Take note of the date, for crying out loud, Bailey was arrested on the 5th. The link you post even states that "The agents were in the neighborhood to investigate neighbors' complaints of gunfire and heard shots from an apartment window as a helicopter flew over. "

The big hoopla of the rescue choppers being fired upon were dated on Sept. 1st. [url]http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/9/1/92837.shtml[/url]

The FAA disputed this on the 1st. [url]http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1087205[/url]

As did Homeland Security [url]http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?content=4779[/url]

So yeah, maybe this punk did fire on rescue choppers, but it would be more of a copycat case, this is not the reported case that originally caused all the ire.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lady Jet]Thomas Sowell might want to check his "facts".

The raping of children has also been unsubstantiated.[/QUOTE]

You realize that the article was written on Sept 6th? It was widely reported as of that time.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lawyers, Guns and Money]You realize that the article was written on Sept 6th? It was widely reported as of that time.[/QUOTE]

Point taken LGM.

I'll give Sowell some slack based on that.

Veteran
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lady Jet]Point taken LGM.

I'll give Sowell some slack based on that.[/QUOTE]

oops, dumb blonde moment. LOL

I'm guessing that your point that Sowell wrote this article on the 6th is that he was attributing the fact that helicopters were being shot at by that Bailey kid.

Again, I address that that's not what the ire was about.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=asuusa]by Thomas Sowell

[URL=http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20050906.shtml]The Rest[/URL]

Hmm...must be there were no poor people in NY 40yrs. ago. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yeah cuz we all know 1968 was such a great year.