Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flight that Fought Back

Jets Insider VIP

The Flight that Fought Back

Just watched this show on the Discovery Channel about Flight 93; not too many dry eyes in my house tonight. The word "hero" is overly abused these days, but the people who fought back on Flight 93 were definitely heroes. They knew what awaited them and still refused to go quietly into the night; their actions saved countless other lives. They died in a way that was both honorable and proud, and I envy them for that. Heroes, and great Americans.

One victim's son is attending West Point, and during part of his interview he said something I'll never forget: They took my father and I can't get him back. But I can punish the people who did this.

For those interested: [URL=http://www.honorflight93.org]Honor Flight 93[/URL]

(look like the site is swamped right now...)

[QUOTE=quantum]Just watched this show on the Discovery Channel about Flight 93; not too many dry eyes in my house tonight. The word "hero" is overly abused these days, but the people who fought back on Flight 93 were definitely heroes. They knew what awaited them and still refused to go quietly into the night; their actions saved countless other lives. They died in a way that was both honorable and proud, and I envy them for that. Heroes, and great Americans.

One victim's son is attending West Point, and during part of his interview he said something I'll never forget: They took my father and I can't get him back. But I can punish the people who did this.

For those interested: [URL=http://www.honorflight93.org]Honor Flight 93[/URL]

(look like the site is swamped right now...)[/QUOTE]

I saw it too Quantum and I have to admit, I teared up a time or two also....

These people are REAL American heros who deserve a monument in DC..

There is no doubt in my mind they kept either the Capitol or the White House from being incinerated that day.

i didn't see the movie, did they show the part when Air Force f-16s shot them out of the sky?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]i didn't see the movie, did they show the part when Air Force f-16s shot them out of the sky?[/QUOTE]

Does that make them less heroic for fighting back?

[QUOTE=Piper]Does that make them less heroic for fighting back?[/QUOTE]

Seriously i really don't know a whole lot about the story - but do we have proof they fought back besides the retold cell phone conversations from family members? Or is it just a story?

Or are these people heros like Pat Tillman was a hero? The gov't gave Pat a silver star for getting shot by his own men.

Maybe the gov't gave these people a heroic story for getting a couple missiles at 30,000 feet, that was their "silver star."

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a plane can crash into the ground by natural causes and have two crash sites seperated by 5 miles.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]Seriously i really don't know a whole lot about the story - but do we have proof they fought back besides the retold cell phone conversations from family members? Or is it just a story?

Or are these people heros like Pat Tillman was a hero? The gov't gave Pat a silver star for getting shot by his own men.

Maybe the gov't gave these people a heroic story for getting a couple missiles at 30,000 feet, that was their "silver star."

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a plane can crash into the ground by natural causes and have two crash sites seperated by 5 miles.[/QUOTE]

So you don't know anything except a conspiracy theory based on which you feel like being a cynical prick.

And then marginalizing a soldier who was killed in action based on the circumstances of his death is small minded and immature even for you. Not surprising, just small-minded.

It must suck to be you.
    Last edited by Piper; 09-12-2005 at 03:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Piper]So you don't know anything except a conspiracy theory based on which you feel like being a cynical prick.[/QUOTE]

that's one way to put it.

I would prefer the characterization that I am in pursuit of the truth.

[QUOTE=Piper]
    And then marginalizing a soldier who was killed in action based on the circumstances of his death is small minded and immature even for you. Not surprising, just small-minded.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't marginalize the soldiers death i am marginalizing the treatment of it by the government - should we give out silver stars to everyone killed in friendly fire now? The silver star is one of the greatest honors the military has to give out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]that's one way to put it.

I would prefer the characterization that I am in pursuit of the truth.[/QUOTE]

Pursuit would indicate that you are putting forth effort to determine the truth. Your posts indicate that you are bitter and perfectly content to drw conclusions based on little investigation.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]I don't marginalize the soldiers death i am marginalizing the treatment of it by the government - should we give out silver stars to everyone killed in friendly fire now? The silver star is one of the greatest honors the military has to give out.[/QUOTE]
    As I didn't see the paperwork I don't know what the silver star was given for specifically, and I doubt you do either. You're just content to use it as a punchline to your sad little potshots.

[QUOTE=Piper]Pursuit would indicate that you are putting forth effort to determine the truth. Your posts indicate that you are bitter and perfectly content to drw conclusions based on little investigation.[/QUOTE]

I posed a very simple question that is investigatory perhaps you would like to take a swing at it?

how can a flight that buries itself into the ground have two crash sites seperated by 5 miles?

I saw it, it was absolutley pathetic, typical american garbage of showing the "Heros" getting theres

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]I posed a very simple question that is investigatory perhaps you would like to take a swing at it?

how can a flight that buries itself into the ground have two crash sites seperated by 5 miles?[/QUOTE]

I have no expertise in that area, so no I can't offer any insight. I posed a question which you ignored. Does that make them less heroic?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=bitonti]Seriously i really don't know a whole lot about the story - but do we have proof they fought back besides the retold cell phone conversations from family members? Or is it just a story?

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a plane can crash into the ground by natural causes and have two crash sites seperated by 5 miles.[/QUOTE]

-several family members concur conversations where the passengers were plotting to overthrow the highjackers.

-prior to the crash (or whatever you want to call it) there were sounds of a struggle, screaming and American voices transmitted--they played the actual audio footage.

-regardless of how the plane went down by US missle or losing control due to the struggle-the actions of the passengers are heroic no matter what spin you put on it.

-would the govt have been wrong to have shot down the plane? If not, why make such an idiotic response to a post?

-true there is no proof the plane wasnt shot down by the US, nor is there proof that it was. Believe what you want to believe-if it makes you happier being cynical-knock yourself out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TheTerminator]I saw it, it was absolutley pathetic, typical american garbage of showing the "Heros" getting theres[/QUOTE]

"Typical American garbage"?

[QUOTE=Piper]"Typical American garbage"?[/QUOTE]

you know, fictitious crap showing the "good guys" coming out heroic at the end

[QUOTE=Piper]As I didn't see the paperwork I don't know what the silver star was given for specifically, and I doubt you do either. You're just content to use it as a punchline to your sad little potshots.[/QUOTE]

I am a student of military history and it's common knowledge that besides the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Silver Star is one of the highest honors this country can bestow.

I think it's the second or third highest medal the USA gives out. General Patton won it as did General MacArthur. Wes Clark won it (as did Kerry). McCain won it. Hackworth won it.

Tillman won his silver star based on a battle against an enemy that never happened. That's the truth.

I don't know whether these flight 93 people really were heros or not. They could have been made into heros posthumously by our government. It's definately something we as a nation are capable of.
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-12-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=TheTerminator]I saw it, it was absolutley pathetic, typical american garbage of showing the "Heros" getting theres[/QUOTE]

are you saying what I think youre saying?

[QUOTE=sect112row36]are you saying what I think youre saying?[/QUOTE]

why dont you be more specific bushy

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

ah...the return of B-man, Jets05, Jetsmetsisles, etc.....

let's wager how soon before he's gone....