Thread: oh no....oh no....President Job approval at 46%

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

oh no....oh no....President Job approval at 46%

[B]Bush works to find footing
    Poll: Most disapprove of Bush's handling of Hurricane Katrina
    From John Mercurio[/B]

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Facing a new round of polls showing mixed reviews of his handling of Hurricane Katrina, President Bush rolled up his sleeves and toured the most storm-wrecked parts of the Gulf Coast region Monday.

Bush slept overnight on an amphibious assault ship that's serving as a control center in the relief effort and received a point-by-point briefing of on-the-ground recovery efforts. Aides compared him to a wartime general inspecting the troops on the front line of battle.

To be sure, Bush looked different Monday than the man who visited New Orleans on September 2 and fondly recalled his wild nights in the French Quarter. Or the man who sought to cheer homeless storm victims in Mississippi by sharing his hopes to join Sen. Trent Lott on the front porch of his "fantastic" new waterfront house. Or the man who turned to embattled FEMA Director Michael Brown in the early days after the storm and said, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job."

Following two weeks consumed by 24-hour coverage of Katrina's wake, the president who honed his leadership credentials in the aftermath of 9/11 is now struggling to find his footing amid bipartisan claims that neither he, nor his administration, has responded adequately to the hurricane.

"As time goes on, you're seeing a lot more federal involvement and you're hearing more about what state officials and local officials in New Orleans didn't do. As a result of that, less blame is being attributed to Bush," said Daniel Laufer, an assistant professor of marketing at the University of Cincinnati, who studies the public's reaction to crises.

Laufer said the Bush administration turned a corner Friday when Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff replaced Brown as head of the relief effort. "The public saw that and said, 'OK, good: The [Bush administration] saw a problem, they addressed the problem and fixed it.' That makes a difference."

On Monday, Brown resigned his position.

Bush moved quickly on appointing David Paulison, the director of FEMA's preparedness division, as interim director, the White House announced.

Brown was heavily criticized after he told CNN's "Paula Zahn Now" the evening of September 1 that federal officials only found out about the unfolding humanitarian crisis at the New Orleans convention center earlier in the day -- despite the fact that city officials had been telling people for days to take shelter there.

Indeed, the White House is motivated to repair Bush's image by a devastating series of new polls that give him some of the lowest approval ratings of his presidency.

While a new CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released on Monday shows that Bush's overall job approval rating is 46 percent, other polls taken over the past week show his support is lower. A poll of recent polling shows that Bush's average job-approval rating is 42 percent. (Full story)

A new Newsweek poll shows that only 38 percent of Americans approve of the way Bush is doing his job overall, a record low for this president, and 55 percent disapprove of his overall job performance. ([I]isn't Newsweak the same publication which fabricated the Koran down the sh!tter stories??)[/I]

But there are some signs in the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll that Bush may have turned a corner.

A majority of respondents give a poor rating to Bush's "initial" response to the hurricane, but 58 percent have a positive view of Bush's actions "in the past few days."

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/12/bush.footing/[/url]
    -------------------------------------------------

Gotta love the way they mention his job approval in the 11th paragraph of the story then quicky follow it up with [QUOTE]"A poll of recent polling shows that Bush's average job-approval rating is 42 percent.......A new Newsweek poll shows that only 38 percent of Americans approve of the way Bush is doing his job overall, a record low for this president, and 55 percent disapprove of his overall job performance."[/QUOTE]

of course they are always quick to mention polls like Ramussen who had the President at a JA of 50%.....I could care less about the poll but the liberal slant of it all is comical....

and again, they begrudgingly disprove the sub-title of their story in the final paragraph...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 09-12-2005 at 08:30 PM.

[QUOTE] "As time goes on, you're seeing a lot more federal involvement and you're hearing more about what state officials and local officials in New Orleans didn't do. As a result of that, less blame is being attributed to Bush," said Daniel Laufer, an assistant professor of marketing at the University of Cincinnati, who studies the public's reaction to crises.[/QUOTE]

Duh

;)

Jeb will succeed W.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Jeb will succeed W.[/QUOTE]
    That's an interesting prediction.

is it just me or does it seem like the White House cares more about salvaging the image of George Bush than the city of New Orleans?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti]is it just me or does it seem like the White House cares more about salvaging the image of George Bush than the city of New Orleans?[/QUOTE]

It's just you.

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti]is it just me or does it seem like the White House cares more about salvaging the image of George Bush than the city of New Orleans?[/QUOTE]

You couldn't be more right.......

Aren't Bush's image and saving the city of New Orleans comtemporaneous?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet]Aren't Bush's image and saving the city of New Orleans comtemporaneous?[/QUOTE]

dude- that's common sense...hence it doesn't work for libs...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway]You couldn't be more right.......[/QUOTE]

Of course he's right. Bush hates black people and so do people who vote for Bush. Everyone knows that....

I know, I know, that's not what you meant...blah, blah blah. This stuff gets so old. My God, you guys are AMAZING - you can read George Bush's mind. People shriek at Bush and call him a racist, criticize him, and he works hard and shows more effort, then the same people leading the criticism turn around and say, "Now he's only trying to save face." What you see, quickly, is that NOTHING HE DOES IS RIGHT in your eyes. It's a joke. No wonder people with this mind-set cannot win elections. "Replace the head of FEMA!!!" He does, and it's "He's only trying to save face!!" If he didn't, it'd be, "He's imcompetent!!"

Hey TB - Where's your criticism of the Mayor of NO? Do you think his constant anti-Bush rhetoric early on could have been a CYA thing for him, deflecting blame from his poor performance? Nah, because regardless of his competence, you believe he cares about black people and is a good person. He doesn't perform and it's lamentable, but not nefarious. When Bush does, it's nefarious because Bush doens't care and somehow, you KNOW this.

Put this sh*t on f*cking toast. I am sick of the constant charges of racism against conservatives. At least Kanye West came out and was honest with his slurs and ignorance and, yes, bigotry. This is nothing more than back-handed, sublte accusations of racism and if you don't realize it or know, too bad.

Go ahead and post about race has nothing to do with it and how I am over-reacting. Whatever. I am so g*d-damned sick of this constant accusatory tone.

"Bush hates blacks, the recovery would have been faster if they were white." Shut up and grow up.

Name me one politician, ONE, that doesn't care about his "image." You cna't do it. So stop pretending this is some poweful insight or major point. This is a joke. The reaction of the left to this hurricane is embarassing. It literally is. It's laughable. So childish....I don't even know where to begin....
    Last edited by jets5ever; 09-13-2005 at 11:52 AM.

5ever lost in your rant is that any loss George Bush is seeing in the approval ratings is seeping from his own base. Everyone else has hated him for years.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]5ever lost in your rant is that any loss George Bush is seeing in the approval ratings is seeping from his own base. Everyone else has hated him for years.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't possibly care less about his approval rating. The only poll that mattered was last November. This is what you don't get - no matter how low Bush goes, when confronted with a choice, people choose the GOP over the Dems. Whining and accusing Bush of racism or indifference to black suffering is not a strategy, it is a mere insult.

I get so sick of the constant "The GOP hates blacks and poor people - rich white people are only that way because they oppress the poor."

Shut up and think and learn something. People are so stupid, it's infuriating.

I agree completely. The story I saw the other day where the gov of NO was pointed at for not specifically saying that she needed troops was stupid. She told Bush that she needed everthing he had, and he gave her that...NOTHING. The guy is the dumbest man I have ever heard speak. Who doesn't make that correlation, and because of not making that match, people not only suffered but died. Not only from the hurricane, but from starvation, and acts of violence. It is on Bush's head, but of course he is used to that, he has had many deaths on his head the past 4 years.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sack Exchange]I agree completely. The story I saw the other day where the gov of NO was pointed at for not specifically saying that she needed troops was stupid. She told Bush that she needed everthing he had, and he gave her that...NOTHING. The guy is the dumbest man I have ever heard speak. Who doesn't make that correlation, and because of not making that match, people not only suffered but died. Not only from the hurricane, but from starvation, and acts of violence. It is on Bush's head, but of course he is used to that, he has had many deaths on his head the past 4 years.[/QUOTE]

I am curious - in what year did you earn your Harvard MBA, and how many years after your Yale degree was it?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Because they only work on one thing at a time...

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I am curious - in what year did you earn your Harvard MBA, and how many years after your Yale degree was it?[/QUOTE]
    It was the same amount of time that it took my daddy to pay both these schools off.

[QUOTE=jets5ever]I couldn't possibly care less about his approval rating. The only poll that mattered was last November. This is what you don't get - no matter how low Bush goes, when confronted with a choice, people choose the GOP over the Dems. Whining and accusing Bush of racism or indifference to black suffering is not a strategy, it is a mere insult.

I get so sick of the constant "The GOP hates blacks and poor people - rich white people are only that way because they oppress the poor."

Shut up and think and learn something. People are so stupid, it's infuriating.[/QUOTE]

5ever first off this thread is about approval ratings. So excuse me if i talk about the thread subject.

Secondly, the racial issue is one of perception and it's not totally a partisan ploy - a new poll came out that said 1 in 8 white people believe race played a factor. Meanwhile 4 out of 5 black people feel race played a factor.

that's the perception and it's among the minorities themselves. There aren't alot of minorities in this forum hence it is not surprising that most posters feel race is not a factor.

I personally agree with your conclusions. The last thing I would ever want to do is depend on the federal/state/local gov't to save my life.

The democratic party can't tell people what to believe, in fact they can't tell people anything, they are morons.

Just because someone believes something that is anti-GOP that doesn't mean it was hatched in the office of Howard Dean or Michael Moore. It is possible for people to come up with these conclusions on their own ya know.

also Bush might have won "the most important poll" but there still is the matter of his legacy, what he will be known for. There is a man made disaster in Iraq a natural disaster in New Orleans and the economy is showing signs of strain. Prices are up, inflation can't be far behind - what will Bush be known for?
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-13-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Sack Exchange]It was the same amount of time that it took my daddy to pay both these schools off.[/QUOTE]

Oh, of course. Obviously, going to Ivy League schools contradicts your "stupid" claim, so it must not be legit. I see. Works out pretty well for you, huh? What a neat little world you've created for yourself, huh? No matter what a black person does or says, he's not a racist or to blame and inconvenient facts can be rationalized away, like Bush having a Harvard MBA. Whites oppress black people, so much so that white people are to blame when a black youth rapes another black youth or a thug steals a purse or a category 4 hurricane hits their below-sea level city.

Interesting....

[QUOTE=Sack Exchange]The guy is the dumbest man I have ever heard speak.[/QUOTE]

You've obviously never heard Ragin Nagin speak.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti]5ever first off this thread is about approval ratings. So excuse me if i talk about the thread subject.

Secondly, the racial issue is one of perception and it's not totally a partisan ploy - a new poll came out that said 1 in 8 white people believe race played a factor. Meanwhile 4 out of 5 black people feel race played a factor.

that's the perception and it's among the minorities themselves. There aren't alot of minorities in this forum hence it is not surprising that most posters feel race is not a factor.

I personally agree with your conclusions. The last thing I would ever want to do is depend on the federal/state/local gov't to save my life.

The democratic party can't tell people what to believe, in fact they can't tell people anything, they are morons.

Just because someone believes something that is anti-GOP that doesn't mean it was hatched in the office of Howard Dean or Michael Moore. It is possible for people to come up with these conclusions on their own ya know.

also Bush might have won "the most important poll" but there still is the matter of his legacy, what he will be known for. There is a man made disaster in Iraq a natural disaster in New Orleans and the economy is showing signs of strain. Prices are up, inflation can't be far behind - what will Bush be known for?[/QUOTE]

No one can answer that question now, Matt. You know this.

Black people have been told by the Dems that their actions are not their fault. That their lives are horrible and that there is nothing they can do to improve themselves, save for vote Democrat. They are told that they are poor because the rich white people exploit them. They are told that their destructive behavior is not their fault. They disdain school because it's "acting white" to acheive academic success. The glorify a horrible, selfish culture that has led them to having illegitimacy rates over 70%. 70%!!

Howard Dean is the Dem party chairman and he said, essentially, what Kanye West Said. Foolish people like Sack Exchange believe it. Democrats are more racist towards blacks than the GOP, by far. Democrats think so little fo blacks that they think that blacks are not capable of helping themselves or of improving their culture on their own. Responsible blacks who call on blacks to look inward are ridiculed as Uncle Toms. Successful conservative blacks are ridiculed as race betrayers, or worse.

If people are given the choice of blaming others for their lot in life or blaming themselves, precious few of us have the honesty or inner strength to look inward. Democrats have held blacks back, severely. They take the black vote for granted. Where has it gotten them?