Thread: OT- Sports and How they Have Affected You

OT- Sports and How they Have Affected You

Now I can not speak for everyone, but I grew up in Texas, playing Texas sports. I look back at my time in school, and really see how sports have shaped my life. I am from a broken home 10 total step-parents, and lived half my life with an overprotective mom- (no sports) and half with a masculine sterotypical Texas Dad (lots of sports), I didn't have much real guidance from either. Instead of going the wrong route, I really grew up with sports. My football and baseball coaches and teammates taught me what it was like to really feel apart of a family, and to take pride in myself. I was taught manners, and responsibility, and to always look out for the little person. Without this I am not sure what I would have done. I love sports dearly, they,(in some cases), replace my family, my friends help as well, which brings me to my long drawn out point. I think that sports should really be a part of every school. I see too many schools in the city that do not offer them. This is hard to believe. I feel like this would show alot of these troubled kids some guidance. I also feel like it would be a great outlet for any violence that they might have. I mean in football, I was taught to leave it all on the field. If this was done with some of the youth in the city, there might be drop in violent acts, just due to the simple point that they are too tired to do anything. Anyways to make a long post done, I just was wondering what everybodies opinions and experiences were with sports and how they shaped your life, if at all.

Did you get to experience any of the excitement of Texas High School football?

What did you think of Friday Night Lights?

[QUOTE=Jetcane]Did you get to experience any of the excitement of Texas High School football?

What did you think of Friday Night Lights?[/QUOTE]
    I did experience a lot of this "excitement", it was more like being extremely hopped up on caffiene, and having to perform in front of what I could only imagine a NFL crowd would be like. When I saw Friday Night Lights with my girlfriend, she is from Oregon, she could not imagine a culture that really exsited like that. She kept on asking, why do they care so much. I told her repeatedly that these kids care because the only way these kids are going to make it out of this town, is by leaving it all on the field. It was heart breaking to watch because I knew a person on my team that just like each and everyone of those players. It was so dead on with Texas High School Football, that I was even quoting the last speech at halftime given to the players by the coach. I knew the routine. And trust me after 4 years of working your *** off the last thing you wanna hear is that "This might be the last game most of you play", but that was how it was in Texas. A reality check 24/7. I knew someone just like Boobbie. It is heart breaking to see someone with that much talent get hurt, and see that go to waste, just for High School Football. And yet, after all the heartbreaking experiences I had, not being good enough, fast enough, strong enough, liked enough, I still would not change it for the world. Texas High School Football is the *** kicking that everyone should experience to make them feel humble, and mortal.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Good thread!

Sports, without a doubt, helped shape my life, and helped me make successful. I did not come from a broken home, quite the opposite. I grew up in a wealthy town, but being part of team is crucial in teaching humility, and what is needed to be a successful adult.

Football was a huge commitment, even where I grew up, not with the Friday night lights atmosphere. My town is a legendary Lacrosse town, and that's where I played in front of large crowds. I played Lacrosse through my college days, and then some. Now I give back by coaching.

IMO all former athletes, esoecially those that feel as Sack Dance does, should help the youth of their town in that respect. You.ve been there, show today's young men the way.

Veteran
    I have a different route to go on here. Growing up, I played everything, and was decent at everything. Unfortunately for my sports career and HS years, I hit puberty very late. All through HS, I was one, if not the smallest and weakest. I wanted to play HS football but was cut from Freshman tryouts.

High School was a difficult time for me. After being cut from Frosh football, it severely effected my confidence. I didn't tryout for hockey either because I was afraid of being cut again, plus my skating was never the best. I wound up running track, but didn't really like my coach. While I had a few good races, I never would put it on par with anyone else HS sports experiences.

Since I was a smaller and weaker kid in HS, I was often picked on by the jocks. Me being the stubborn little Mic I am (isn't that redundant,) I wouldn't back down. I got my *** kicked because of it ... a lot!

Finally, sometime during my senior, I had a growth spurt. I graduated around 5-7, 135. Wound up going to Providence and decided to play with the Club Rugby team. We had close to 60 guys on it my freshman year. I actually was told by the coach freshman year that I did have what it took.

Second half Freshman year, I hit my second growth spurt. I got to 5-10 185, my current size. For the first time I was actually bigger and stronger than most other people. I became the starting scrum half after a rash of injuries sophomore year. While I wasn't the best player on our team, I was the most dedicated, probably because I didn't have an equivalent HS experience. Junior and Senior year, I was elected captain of the team. We finish 2nd in New England (Div II) my junior year.

I've since coached a rugby team and still an active runner (planning on running the NYC marathon this year.) While I have some painful memories because of sports in HS, I have some of my fondest playing Rugby at PC
    Last edited by Lawyers, Guns and Money; 09-17-2005 at 03:26 PM.

I'm sure you're not alone with having some painful memories from HS or JHS. It can be a difficult time.

I devoted several seasons to coaching Little league and Pony League baseball and basketball, and I was happy to give some of these kids some instruction and guidance. Most of these kids never played on a school team, but that shouldnt mean sports shouldn't be part of their lives.

I noticed that many of them came from broken homes, and relatively few parents came to watch them play. That was disappointing. But I am happy if I was able to make some contribution to their formative years.