Thread: here is an idea.... please dont hurt me!

Banned

here is an idea.... please dont hurt me!

how bout' we have the best college team (national champions) play the worst NFL team every year for fun lol.... i know i know its kinda stupid but makes you wonder none the less

I'd rather see college football revamp how they get a national champion first.

All Pro
    I'm with ya OrangeJet............PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

That would be awesome, but a complete slap in the face of the NFL team.

eLOT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elot
    That would be awesome, but a complete slap in the face of the NFL team.

eLOT
    maby thats what they need, although it would be too late.

imo i think 2004 auburn was better than usc but that could never be proven because the bcs only puts big market teams that generate lots of money into the national championship game. and then gives them a cupcake sched. Same with the NFL and the colts. this is the 3rd straight year where they have a easy sched. its like the nfl is praying they win the sb, although the games are rigged and the nfl decides who wins and looses.

college football is a joke. The system is so screwed, such politicial Bull****. thats why its hard to pay attention, **** I don't even know what the national championship is called, the rose bowl?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetme23
    college football is a joke. The system is so screwed, such politicial Bull****. thats why its hard to pay attention, **** I don't even know what the national championship is called, the rose bowl?
    every year the national division 1a ncaa championship game is held at 1 of 4 different venues, the rose bowl (bowl and stadium name) in pasadena ca. the orange bowl (pro player stadium) in miami fl. the sugar bowl (superdome) in new orleans la. and the fiesta bowl (sun devil stadium) phoenix az. those 4 bowl games make up the "BCS" and alliance bowls. this year its the rose bowl is the national championship game, in 2007 its the fiesta bowl, in 2008 its the sugar bowl (might be moved to another venue), and in 2009 its the orange bowl. years when 3 of the 4 alliance bowls are not the national championship game they are just like any other bowl game.... meaningless and just a consolation prize

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetme23

A playoff system would definitely make the college game more watchable and interesting. If you follow a conference with a championship game to determine the conference champion, it's a lot more interesting. A national playoff would do the same for the entire game, and generate a boatload of cash for the NCAA. I don't know why they won't pull the trigger, it's coming.

All Pro
    I agree Chipshot. Let's do a 16 team playoff with the conference champions from the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, CUSA, MAC, Pac 10, WAC and Mountain West getting automatic bids. Then invite six at-large teams to give you a full field of 16 and encorporate the current bowls into the playoffs. Rose Bowl for the Championship, Orange and Fiesta for the Semi-finals, Cotton, Gator, Peach and Citrus for the quarter-finals. You get the drift. Start the regular season the last weekend of August and finish by the end of November. Save December for playoffs and still have the championship game the first week of January. Cash Cow Baby!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HERDFAN1
    A playoff system would definitely make the college game more watchable and interesting. If you follow a conference with a championship game to determine the conference champion, it's a lot more interesting. A national playoff would do the same for the entire game, and generate a boatload of cash for the NCAA. I don't know why they won't pull the trigger, it's coming.
    because the bowls make more money than a playoff bracket would, plus a playoff system would extend the college bowl season into the nfl playoffs and superbowl and the networks that cover these events do have rules on broadcasting an even that recievs a tv rating of 9.2+ in one day.... not allowed

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipShot
    because the bowls make more money than a playoff bracket would, plus a playoff system would extend the college bowl season into the nfl playoffs and superbowl and the networks that cover these events do have rules on broadcasting an even that recievs a tv rating of 9.2+ in one day.... not allowed

Bowl season competes with the playoffs now. You are right, the bowls generate a lot of money and I don't understand why the NCAA hasn't decided to gabage onto the cash by hosting a playoff system. Just think, If Penn State had the choice of going to the Rose Bowl or playing in a playoff system, which would they pick? What school would pass on a chance to be crowned a true National Champion for a paycheck from a bowl. But as I said above, don't compete, just incorporate the existing bowls into the playoff system.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HERDFAN1
    Bowl season competes with the playoffs now. You are right, the bowls generate a lot of money and I don't understand why the NCAA hasn't decided to gabage onto the cash by hosting a playoff system. Just think, If Penn State had the choice of going to the Rose Bowl or playing in a playoff system, which would they pick? What school would pass on a chance to be crowned a true National Champion for a paycheck from a bowl. But as I said above, don't compete, just incorporate the existing bowls into the playoff system.
    the people who make the decisions have said no to the same exact ideas youve stated, and they throw in an extra little adjustment every year or so to make it seem like they care and keep us a *little* more satisfied. like this years adjustment is that if there are 3+ undefeated teams bidding for a rose bowl spot the 2 teams that get to play in pasadena will be decided by their stats rather than some goddammed poll..... see what iam saying. its a little better, but still crap.

Simple and honest reason why this wouldn't work? Players in the NFL pay the bills with their money. Why would they want to risk injury in an extra meaningless game?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozer76
    Simple and honest reason why this wouldn't work? Players in the NFL pay the bills with their money. Why would they want to risk injury in an extra meaningless game?
    it was just an idea, this thread has become a "BCS sucks" discussion now, get on the ball

Banned
    oh and i almost forgot another reason why the bcs/ncaaf is the way it is, is because of the extremely heavy betting

All League
    Here's a good reason why it would never happen. It would be an absolute blowout. Think about it the best players from the best college team have to fight for jobs in the NFL. They would get crushed in an exhibition.

Pro's and amatuers. One gets paid another doesn't. Kind of sways the playing field. This isn't golf. This is big boy football. Injuries and no school bands. It's a fun idea but one that will never see the light of day.

Plus - let's face it what is the biggest difference in the pro game where 10% or less of college players make an NFL roster. It's speed and size. Take the worst NFL team whoever you want and put them against USC and see if USC is even within 14 points of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

the best college team would not have a chance vs the worst NFL team....if anyone thinks USC would beat the worst team in the NFL then they are on some serious drugs.