Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mortenson:Belichick went overboard

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Mortenson:Belichick went overboard

Bill Belichick has three Super Bowl rings as head coach of the New England Patriots. What he's done there is remarkable, so it's difficult to second-guess anything he does right now.
    But what he did Sunday in Pittsburgh when he shooed away Steelers trainer John Norwig from injured tackle Matt Light was a troubling glance at the coach's dark side.

Light clearly had suffered a serious leg injury and was in pain. Norwig, as the home team trainer, offered his assistance -- a common courtesy in these circumstances.

When Belichick wandered onto the field, I thought it was out of concern for his injured player. Instead, he sneered at Norwig, reportedly saying, "Get away from my [expletive] player."

Without having any direct knowledge of why Belichick snapped, here is what I am assuming: He is so paranoid about injury information that the Steelers' trainer presented a potential breach in his ability to control that information. In the coach's mind, it is a competitive issue, which would allow an opposing trainer to inform his own sideline about the status of an injured player.

The competitive aspect of Belichick's actions would have been understandable had it not been so obvious that Light was seriously hurt.

Steve Antonopoulos, the trainer for the Denver Broncos and the president of the pro football athletic trainers (PFAT), told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette he had never heard of anything like Belichick's actions in his 30-plus years in the business.

"If a player goes down on the field and has a recognizable serious injury, the home trainer will go to that area of the field to offer his assistance," Antonopolous told the paper. "That's a common courtesy. That's something each of us does. It helps the situation as it is on the field to expedite the medical care of the individual -- expedites getting the cart on the field, paramedics if needed, if they need to be transported off the field."

Typically, Belichick refused early this week to acknowledge what everyone knew: Light has a broken leg.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is a regular contributor to Insider. He chats every Wednesday in The Show.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Bellichick's a gamer. Nothing is more important than a "W". Whether that mindset is a good thing at all times, I'm not so sure.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET

Light clearly had suffered a serious leg injury and was in pain. Norwig, as the home team trainer, offered his assistance -- a common courtesy in these circumstances.

When Belichick wandered onto the field, I thought it was out of concern for his injured player. Instead, he sneered at Norwig, reportedly saying, "Get away from my [expletive] player."
    Why is this so surprising?

How the hell could BB list Matt Light as "probable" if the Steeler trainer saw a bone poking through his foot?

All Pro
    Belichick is NUTSO!!!!

To me his actions are the opposite of what it means to be fully human....

No Belichick's actions WERE NOT the actions of a "gamer" They were in short, the actions of an uncaring animal. When people (players) or otherwise are reduced to nothing more than interchangeable coinage we are dimininished. WE ARE DIMINISHED!!!!!

Yes, I WANT TO WIN BADLY.. I competed hard in sports and in school. (I was the commencement speaker for my law school class) But there are higher dictates then winning and losing in a man made created game of chance, your humanity isn't given to you because you kick or throw a ball for the Jets or Yankees or whether they win or LOSE!!!! You are BIGGER THAN THAT and don't believe for one monment those who say you aren't bigger than their dumb game BECAUSE YOU ARE!!!! YOU ARE!!!

No our shared human dignity REQUIRES a HIGHER standard of self-sacrifice and EXCELLENCE and when we forget that, when we reduce others pain to mere chess pieces for our collective pleasure, (WATCHING A DAM GAME) then we have no value after all and that is and shall be our collective horror.....

Hall Of Fame
    Belichick is a dick that wins. Hermy is a nice guy that doesn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

How the hell could BB list Matt Light as "probable" if the Steeler trainer saw a bone poking through his foot?
    Listen, Bill Belichick will do whatever it takes to win. Even Charlie Weiss said it. They practice illegal tactics, so they can implement them in games. They will do whatever it takes to get an advantage. Lying, cheating, stealing... It doesn't matter to BB. He just wants to win. BB is no aw shucks nice quiet guy. BS.... He's an evil mastermind who will choke out his own kids to get a first down.

In a sick way, You gotta respect that. I don't put anything past him or The Pats organization.

I know winning cures a heck of a lot of problems, but might there come a time when players decide they don't want to play for a coach who could give a $hit about their well-being? These players are taught to be brothers in arms from high school through college ball. You are supposed to actually care about your teammate. I guess if the HC of the NEP was at war he wouldn't let a physician from the opposing army treat his injured men. What an A-hole! I can not imagine that this guy has anything in his life other than football.

Banned
    I wonder if he's gonna take the tarp off the field if they play indy at home this year...Maybe send Manning some tainted breakfast ...threaten his grandmother? Blow up his children..deny a player in excrutiating pain attention (whoops...already DID that) Steal a dead man's money (did THAT too)

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN
    I know winning cures a heck of a lot of problems, but might there come a time when players decide they don't want to play for a coach who could give a $hit about their well-being? These players are taught to be brothers in arms from high school through college ball. You are supposed to actually care about your teammate. I guess if the HC of the NEP was at war he wouldn't let a physician from the opposing army treat his injured men. What an A-hole! I can not imagine that this guy has anything in his life other than football.
    Great post Sonny! Milloy and Law might have something to add to this. And believe me I love to win at anything. But I also like to win clean.

Veteran
    after belichick cut lawyer malloy, was labeled as a heartless bastard with no loyalty, and then blasted by the bills in the season opener in 2001, we heard "the players hate bill belichick"
    used to hear the same thing when parcells came to town, "all his players hate him"
    but you can't argue with results, no matter what the motivation technique used.

and as far as "When people (players) or otherwise are reduced to nothing more than interchangeable coinage we are dimininished. WE ARE DIMINISHED!!!!!" goes, i say this: football is a war game - the general must treat his soldiers as interchangeable coinage in order to be victorious.
    hurting someone's feelings and their self-esteem isn't that big of a deal when you look at the big picture.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Captain McCallister
    after belichick cut lawyer malloy, was labeled as a heartless bastard with no loyalty, and then blasted by the bills in the season opener in 2001, we heard "the players hate bill belichick"
    used to hear the same thing when parcells came to town, "all his players hate him"
    but you can't argue with results, no matter what the motivation technique used.

and as far as "When people (players) or otherwise are reduced to nothing more than interchangeable coinage we are dimininished. WE ARE DIMINISHED!!!!!" goes, i say this: football is a war game - the general must treat his soldiers as interchangeable coinage in order to be victorious.
    hurting someone's feelings and their self-esteem isn't that big of a deal when you look at the big picture.
    That was an outstanding post Sea Captain.

You nailed it.

Banned
    How about their hurt friggin broken leg.
    Yeah great post, you nailed it. Football is a WAR. Go tell that to our soilders getting blown up every day. THEY'RE the REAL patriots. Football is only a GAME. Get a life

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Maybe he is a lying scumbag..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    Listen, Bill Belichick will do whatever it takes to win. Even Charlie Weiss said it. They practice illegal tactics, so they can implement them in games. They will do whatever it takes to get an advantage. Lying, cheating, stealing... It doesn't matter to BB. He just wants to win. BB is no aw shucks nice quiet guy. BS.... He's an evil mastermind who will choke out his own kids to get a first down.

In a sick way, You gotta respect that. I don't put anything past him or The Pats organization.
    Please provide examples of the illegal tactic and the cheating that the Patriots employ.

is that a real question? is it a real concern?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2
    Please provide examples of the illegal tactic and the cheating that the Patriots employ.
    each nfl team will do whatever it takes to win. if bellichicken has his team practicing gray area techniques then it is really no worse than shanahan's cut blocks or any other scheme that takes full advantage of the rules.

as for the palyers hating him, i believe they said the same about lombardi and probably shula and landry and just about every other successful coach it goes with the territory.

but bellichicken is just that, a little small minded chicken who was so concerned about his ability to be successful as hc of the jets no matter who the owner was that he bailed to be protected by an equally swarmy bob kraft.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Maybe he is a lying scumbag..
    But he sure knows how to win.

Maybe Hermy should take some lessons.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    BTW...later in the article (which you conveniently omitted) the trainer said he had no problem with BB, that he understood the comments were made at a stressful time. So if he doesn't have a problem with it, no one else should.

If it makes you feel better to demonize BB to somehow explain his success thats fine. But he NEVER denied his player medical assitance. PUHLEEEZE. He wanted his OWN medical people in there. That's protecting his player.

Yeah BB is evil and Hermy is a swell guy. And thats why the Pats won 3 SBs and the Jets are in deep doo-doo. Oh no BB cut Lawyer Milloy. Boo-hoo. That's called managing the salary cap. Boo-hoo he only offered Ty Law $36 million dollars...heartless.

So you would rather be warm and fuzzy and give a noodle arm QB $62 million? So he can lob floaters to the overpaid Waybe Chreget who drops it in the end zone? Well lets all give each other a hug as we slip into last place!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets
    but bellichicken is just that, a little small minded chicken who was so concerned about his ability to be successful as hc of the jets no matter who the owner was that he bailed to be protected by an equally swarmy bob kraft.
    so he went where he could be successful? Where he KNEW who the owner would be? Gee...what a chicken.

And how has each franchise done since he made that decision? Seems like he made the right on to me.

All League
    For crissakes, it's not as if the Patriots medical staff wasn't already tending to Light. BB is super secretive about player injuries. He told the Pitt training to go screw. Was it rude? Yup. Does it matter? Nope.

Quick update: Hermie's New Jamaican Jerk BBQ picnic at Hofstra today! 12-2pm. Desert provided by team doctor Know-Little. A tastey dish he learned while earning his med degree at the University of Guam.

Hall Of Fame
    But he sure knows how to win.

Maybe Hermy should take some lessons.

So if you know how to win, that makes up for being a detestable example of a human being? Good one.