Thread: OT-#35 DeMeco Ryans

All Pro

OT-#35 DeMeco Ryans

WOW

Just...Wow

Unbelievable performance vs. Florida today with 3 sacks and a whole bunch of tackles. In case you don't know him...he is the strongside LB in the suffocating Alabama defense. He is the best LB and team leader in a back 7 which UF coach Urban Meyer said was the best he's ever played against. First off all, as I pointed out by mentioning his 3 sacks, the kid can accelerate off the edge and get to QB's with the best of 'em. He is also a punishing tackler. The guy does not miss tackles. Two Florida receivers dropped balls because they heard number 35 gearing up to lay a lick on them. Trust me...he has earned that reputation. The kid is slightly undersized at 6'2 232...but what he lacks in size, he makes up with in speed and tenacity. Ryans made plays from side to sideline all game making plays both in run support and pass coverage. Besdies all the physical skills, let me point out some intangibles. First off, he is the leader(by example) of one of the best defenses in the nation, and as I said the best back 7 Urban meyer has ever coached against. He is also very intelligent, he is going to graduate in December, a semester early. He has been named an Arthur Ashe Sports Scholar, was the 2005 male recipient of the Bryant Award, symbolic as the Athletic Departmentís top student-athlete, and earned the Mal Moore Leadership Award following spring practice. So as you can see he is celebrated on and off the field...remind you of anyone?!

I don't think Victor Hobson is the answer at strongside LB. He doesn't have the speed to be an every down LB and he just is way too inconsistent. Also Eric Barton is tough but always seems to be plagued by injuries. Although, getting a SLB wouldn't be as pressing of a need as QB or OT, but by getting a player of Ryans' calibur, you will not complain once you see him on the field.
    Last edited by gangGREENinsider; 10-01-2005 at 07:32 PM.

All Pro
    I'd like to know why the draft daddies have disrespected him in their rankings. I'd project him as a 2nd rounder in a seriously strong draft for LBs.

All Pro
    draft daddies assemble

All League
    I missed the game, But i'll have my friend whos a UF fan send me a tape of it. I liked what i read about him but, how the hell is a 6'2 230+ LB undersized.