Thread: Boom with a view

Banned

Boom with a view

How good is Brooks Bollinger? I donít have any idea. That Jets offense Sunday reminded me of the days when Herm Edwards was roaming the sidelines with Tony Dungy back in Tampa Bay. It was special teams and defense to the rescue for the New York Jets. I said that everybody had to pick up their level of play and certainly the defensive players and the special teams players did just that - they played a whale of a football game. In fact, they played well enough for this team to win nine times out of 10.

When the shackles finally came off at the end of the game, you actually saw Brooks Bollinger play reasonably well. He stood in the pocket. He didnít get flustered. He threw a couple of nice balls down the field and really showed he actually can play in this league. The drops from Doug Jolley and Justin McCareins didnít help though. Justin just has to be more sure-handed no matter who is playing quarterback. Not everything can be dumped on the shoulders of Curtis Martin.

The question is now: Does Herm Edwards turn to Vinny Testaverde or does he stay with Brooks Bollinger? If the Jets are going to continue to call the offense the way they did Sunday with Bollinger behind center, then you have to go to Testaverde.

Edwards and Heimerdinger have to find out if they can trust Bollinger. Heís a guy who has been there for three years, and he deserves a legitimate opportunity to play. The most notable thing about Sunday that really showed me that the Jets were playing ultra-conservative was Bollinger never operated out of the shotgun in a passing situation. How can you play in an offense that is supposed to be one way, and then it appears to change once the game starts? What we saw Sunday was a strategy employed that appeared to make the entire offense tight.

The good news - other than I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance - is the defense played its rear-end off. John Abraham is living up to the lofty standards he set for himself. Abraham and Jonathan Vilma are all over the place. They are harassing, they are creating turnovers, they are fierce, they are running to the football, and they are making plays. The defense gave the Jets an opportunity of a lifetime when they gave the offense the ball at the Baltimore one-yard line following a takeaway, but the offense couldnít punch it in because of its conservative nature. Itís a shame because the defense deserves better.

Herm Edwards probably didnít get much sleep Sunday night because I believe in my heart that he really wanted Brooks Bollinger to do well, and he felt like the best way to win the game against the Baltimore Ravens was to protect his young quarterback. I can completely understand his way of thinking. But when Edwards gets to Hofstra today, he is going to have to decide if his offensive players have enough confidence in Bollinger to take the field and win the game next week. If he feels like the pressure within the locker room is to play Vinny so they can at least open up the offense, then he really has no choice but to insert Vinny Testaverde as the quarterback. This is the decision Herm Edwards will be wrestling with this week

It was reported on CBSís NFL Today that Chad Pennington has told teammates he is considering returning this year. His return last season and subsequent playoff run pushed back the necessary surgery that he desperately needed to repair his rotator cuff. That surgery normally requires one-year of rehab before the shoulder is back to normal. But he basically affected his performance for this year by going back and playing last year. He would have been totally healthy this season if he had surgery last year when he needed it as opposed to playing just six months following surgery.

By harboring any thoughts of playing this year, Chad Pennington is messing with this year and beyond. Chad has to get it through his head that he is playing for his career now and it is of vital importance for him to be shut down for the rest of the season. While thatís easy for me to say, I understand the insecurities inside football playersí heads because their contracts are not guaranteed. He knows the Jets have to make a decision on the future of this position and thatís one reason why the club signed Vinny Testaverde to a two-year contract. They are not sure Chad will be ready to start next season and thatís even if he doesnít play this year. Chad and many other football players are so prideful about wanting to play and wanting to help their team that they sometimes get their thinking screwed up.

If I was Chad Penningtonís agent or I was Chad Penningtonís head coach, I would tell him, ĎItís over this year. Get ready for next year and do whatever it takes to make sure you are ready when the season starts in í06.í It is a hard pill to swallow, but itís the reality of the situation heís facing.

Banned
    I think he nailed it right on the head. I have not heard that Chad wanted to come back this year. I hope Herm puts him on IR asap to put that to rest. Chad needs to get ready for next year... wether it's here or somewhere else.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

He knows the Jets have to make a decision on the future of this position and thatís one reason why the club signed Vinny Testaverde to a two-year contract.
    I didn't know we signed Vinny to a two year deal

Hall Of Fame
    They probably signed Vinny to a 2 year deal for cap reasons. It's not guaranteed except for the whopping $25,000 signing bonus.

Chad thinking of coming back? That's insane.

All League
    I always love to read what Boomer has to say, he always makes sense and is on the money.

Yes, Pennington is talking of coming back to play this season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Tyme
    I always love to read what Boomer has to say, he always makes sense and is on the money.

Yes, Pennington is talking of coming back to play this season.
    Which makes no sense to me.

All League
    Boomer statement: "Herm Edwards probably didnít get much sleep Sunday night because I believe in my heart that he really wanted Brooks Bollinger to do well, and he felt like the best way to win the game against the Baltimore Ravens was to protect his young quarterback. I can completely understand his way of thinking. But when Edwards gets to Hofstra today, he is going to have to decide if his offensive players have enough confidence in Bollinger to take the field and win the game next week. If he feels like the pressure within the locker room is to play Vinny so they can at least open up the offense, then he really has no choice but to insert Vinny Testaverde as the quarterback. This is the decision Herm Edwards will be wrestling with this week."

That alone explains why this franchise is in the state it is. The head coach makes the decisions, does the thinking, leads by leading. I don't want to hear that he needs to be assured by his players.... that's wonderful that he is called a players coach... that is also why they will never win any championship under this man. The players have confidence in the QB when the head man makes that clear by designing an offense that allows him to show he is a quarterback. This game was simply a wasted effort by a superb Jet defense. Just leave them on the field that long for a few more games and you will start seeing the names on the injury list. There are only 16 games. divisions are won by a 1 game margin... so you waste a game to figure things out. He ran 3 straight plays at Baltimore in the end zone. No effort to mix a pass in there to loosen things up or spread the opposing defense. He is supposed to know defense??? Then he should be able to think what the opposition was going to plan against them. The top notch and even the average coaches would have had a plan. Edwards is not a head coach..never was...never will be. I don't want to hear about his winning ways or playoffs. His team was not developed by him. These players have won in spite of him.