Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Why The Jets are having so many problems on offense

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462

    Why The Jets are having so many problems on offense

    There are 3 units on a football team and The Jets defensive and special teams units have played well in the first quarter of the season.

    The biggest problem area has been the offense and it has more to do with just The QB position. Which is a disaster right now. The Jets are a different offense this year for alot of reasons and here's why. These are the two biggest reasons, The Jets have one of the worst offenses in football.

    #1-OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR/OFFENSIVE DESIGN

    -There has been no continuity here. Mike Heimerdinger has come in here and hasn't been able to install his offense and get the players on the same page. Alot of it has to do with The QB position. Things were scaled down for Chad and he couldn't function and do the fundamentals in this scheme. Everyone is basically new to this scheme on this offense. The Jets kept their 2004 running plays from last years playbook and I actually believe that has hampered Mike's playbook. All The Jets basically did was install a new passing scheme and they did it with a QB who could not handle it. The only QB who looked good in this scheme was Jay Fiedler. There has been no continuity here because of all the shuffling and injuries since the summer. I really think that The Jets having last years running plays has hurt the team. Opposing defenses can tell when The Jets are going to run and when they will pass. WHY? Because the runs and passes don't look the same. You gotta have formations that look like runs and passes. The Jets don't have a full playbook. In the past, The Jets passed from run formations and ran from pass formations. Now, You can tell when The Jets are going to run the ball and when they will pass. Because both formations look different.

    #2- RUN BLOCKING/OFFENSIVE LINE

    -The Jets can't run the ball to the outside or the right side like last season. Kareem McKenzie was not a great pass blocker but he was a superb run blocker. Adrian Jones is quicker than Kareem and has upside but he's not a very physical player in the run game. Anthony Becht is missed in the run game. Becht used to be like an extra O-Lineman/Fullback. He used to seal the outside and was a fantastic run blocker and pass blocker. Baker is not on Becht's level in this area. Doug Jolley is a weak run blocker and teams know that The Jets are most likely going to pass when he is in the game. Jason Fabini has been hurt and is a declining player. Kevin Mawae and Pete Kendall are a year older and have struggled in the new scheme. Both players look like they have lost a step. Especially Kendall. They are still two quality lineman but they played at a dominant level last season. Brandon Moore has just been mediocre early on. The Jets passing scheme is a 5 step drop type scheme that doesn't max protect and that has exposed some of the Jets weaknesses in pass blocking. Jerald Sowell has been banged up since the preseason and he has not been the lead blocker he was last season.Curtis Martin is a year older and a step slower. He's not healthy like he was last year and he's not getting any help from the guys around him. The Jets lack of a passing game has hurt the run. Teams stack the box, blitz and have no fear of The jets breaking long runs or burning them with the pass.

    I fully believe that Herman Edwards and The Jets entire staff deserve blame for The Jets offensive struggles. Edwards is the head coach and the supervisor of every area on the team and when an area falters. He has to take blame, He's the boss.

    I fully believe that Edwards has forced Heimerdinger to scale things down and to run things "his way". Herm made Mike keep The 2004 running scheme because it was so successful. He also plays offense like a defensive coach. Since Edwards has been here, The offense of The Jets has never really been agressive. It's been a a passive unit. Stay away from penalties, stay away from turnovers, Don't lose the game. That's why Pennington in his prime and Martin were perfect for Edwards philosophy. Chad used to rarely make mistakes, especially in the red zone and Martin never fumbled. Edwards plays "don't lose the game" football rather than let's go win the game.

    Edwards style has helped the Jets in some games in the past and hurt us in some close games in the past. He's the boss. I don't want to hear anyone say, he doesn't design the offense or call the plays. During the week, The head coach is responsible for the product on the field and I think everyone takes his cue and during gamedays, Edwards fingerprints are all over this offense. Against Jacksonville, With The Jets prepared to take 3 shots at the end zone to try and win the game. He ran two running plays and only took one shot at the end zone. Chrebet just missed winning the game for the team.

    The bullseye is on Edwards in my opinion. I'm putting everything on his doorstep right now.

    Mike Heimerdinger and the entire offensive staff/players deserve to be blamed and criticized but I think that The Boss has to take the most heat. If The Jets completely collapse this year. I think, There should be some serious consideration to replacing Edwards and Bradway. It might be time to start fresh and turn the page on this regime. They had some good moments but it may be time to start over. Their run may have out run it's course.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    whats this talk of a collapse? they lost both QB's and aside from game 1 could have won the last two games? when has this team under this regime collapsed? How many teams lose the #1 and #2 QB in one quarter?

    Bills are playing like crap (on both sides of the ball)

    Patriots lost 41-17 AT HOME and have some severe issues

    We beat the Dolphins

    all this talk about replacing the coach/GM is beyond assanine.

    season is not over.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,159
    All is sweet if we win the next two.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    14,691
    This is pretty much my sentiments and I will add going into the future I feel our replacement coach would be Mike Heimerdinger. Give the guy free reign to what he wants with this offense.

    Bottom line is here we have a defense that's a little better than average and could be great with just a few subtle moves. The offense is a complete wash. They can't get out of there own way. The team needs to completely rebuild on offense. This is why Mike Heimerdinger is a wiser choice for Head Coach. Keep Donnie doing what he does best for as long we can and get an offensive minded coach to open things up for the offense.

    I would start rebuilding around two starting players. Lav Coles and Brandon Moore.......Both do not have age issues and will contribute for a long time to come. Now I am not saying get rid of guys like Mawae and Kendall, but they are both older players who probably won't be here long enough to see this transformation through........JMO

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT
    All is sweet if we win the next two.
    We gotta be able to score points. It's simple. You can't win if you can't score and The Jets have shown no positive signs on offense that maybe a turnaround on offense is coming.

    Until The Jets offensive players decide to start earning their paychecks. The Jets are not going to win any games.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,242
    we just don't have the horese to win the race on offense. forget the coaching, play calls and schemes.

    QB = disaster, no threat, which means 8 and 9 men on defense vs 7 blockers. do the math.

    Fabini couldn't block me

    curtis is wounded, and father time finally cought him. Watch a jets game, then watch dunn, barber, tomlinson, any healthy young back. The difference is startling.

    so if you can't block the defense, or run away from them, you get 3 points.


  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    we just don't have the horese to win the race on offense. forget the coaching, play calls and schemes.

    QB = disaster, no threat, which means 8 and 9 men on defense vs 7 blockers. do the math.

    Fabini couldn't block me

    curtis is wounded, and father time finally cought him. Watch a jets game, then watch dunn, barber, tomlinson, any healthy young back. The difference is startling.

    so if you can't block the defense, or run away from them, you get 3 points.

    Exactly. It's a shame that The Jets offense has completely crashed and burned this year because their players are not playing to their potential and this team even without Pennington, would still have a shot to go far this year if this offense wasn't so poor.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lima Zulu
    Posts
    6,664
    As always...well said, YJF.

    Gotta blame Herman, not just saying he sucks and he is horrible. But the facts are the facts and The equipment manager isnt going to be fired if this team continues to disappoint.
    I cant blame Herm for his QB woes...not his fault.

  9. #9

    wait a second. the jets offense has not been very

    productive since 2002. hackjob took the fall for that (and rightly so). but other factors were chad's injuries, a revolving door at wide receivers, a marginal pass catching te and maybe the oline is finally starting to be old. curtis was never a break away back and always needed good holes to get through. what he does do is put his head down and plow and hold onto the ball. occassionally he will get a 15 yard or so gain. i don't see whre he's dropped off much but when the defense can stack the line, the run game will always suffer.

    as for heimerdinger's playbook, let's just say that all teams have about the same number and types of plays. the difference is when they are called and es[ecially how they are executed. they (the jets) said that the two runs called after hobson's fumble strip were the right call and should have worked. they didn't, twice. it's not just about the qb or the playbook.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    18,661
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungJetsFan
    There are 3 units on a football team and The Jets defensive and special teams units have played well in the first quarter of the season.

    The biggest problem area has been the offense and it has more to do with just The QB position. Which is a disaster right now. The Jets are a different offense this year for alot of reasons and here's why. These are the two biggest reasons, The Jets have one of the worst offenses in football.

    #1-OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR/OFFENSIVE DESIGN

    -There has been no continuity here. Mike Heimerdinger has come in here and hasn't been able to install his offense and get the players on the same page. Alot of it has to do with The QB position. Things were scaled down for Chad and he couldn't function and do the fundamentals in this scheme. Everyone is basically new to this scheme on this offense. The Jets kept their 2004 running plays from last years playbook and I actually believe that has hampered Mike's playbook. All The Jets basically did was install a new passing scheme and they did it with a QB who could not handle it. The only QB who looked good in this scheme was Jay Fiedler. There has been no continuity here because of all the shuffling and injuries since the summer. I really think that The Jets having last years running plays has hurt the team. Opposing defenses can tell when The Jets are going to run and when they will pass. WHY? Because the runs and passes don't look the same. You gotta have formations that look like runs and passes. The Jets don't have a full playbook. In the past, The Jets passed from run formations and ran from pass formations. Now, You can tell when The Jets are going to run the ball and when they will pass. Because both formations look different.

    #2- RUN BLOCKING/OFFENSIVE LINE

    -The Jets can't run the ball to the outside or the right side like last season. Kareem McKenzie was not a great pass blocker but he was a superb run blocker. Adrian Jones is quicker than Kareem and has upside but he's not a very physical player in the run game. Anthony Becht is missed in the run game. Becht used to be like an extra O-Lineman/Fullback. He used to seal the outside and was a fantastic run blocker and pass blocker. Baker is not on Becht's level in this area. Doug Jolley is a weak run blocker and teams know that The Jets are most likely going to pass when he is in the game. Jason Fabini has been hurt and is a declining player. Kevin Mawae and Pete Kendall are a year older and have struggled in the new scheme. Both players look like they have lost a step. Especially Kendall. They are still two quality lineman but they played at a dominant level last season. Brandon Moore has just been mediocre early on. The Jets passing scheme is a 5 step drop type scheme that doesn't max protect and that has exposed some of the Jets weaknesses in pass blocking. Jerald Sowell has been banged up since the preseason and he has not been the lead blocker he was last season.Curtis Martin is a year older and a step slower. He's not healthy like he was last year and he's not getting any help from the guys around him. The Jets lack of a passing game has hurt the run. Teams stack the box, blitz and have no fear of The jets breaking long runs or burning them with the pass.

    I fully believe that Herman Edwards and The Jets entire staff deserve blame for The Jets offensive struggles. Edwards is the head coach and the supervisor of every area on the team and when an area falters. He has to take blame, He's the boss.

    I fully believe that Edwards has forced Heimerdinger to scale things down and to run things "his way". Herm made Mike keep The 2004 running scheme because it was so successful. He also plays offense like a defensive coach. Since Edwards has been here, The offense of The Jets has never really been agressive. It's been a a passive unit. Stay away from penalties, stay away from turnovers, Don't lose the game. That's why Pennington in his prime and Martin were perfect for Edwards philosophy. Chad used to rarely make mistakes, especially in the red zone and Martin never fumbled. Edwards plays "don't lose the game" football rather than let's go win the game.

    Edwards style has helped the Jets in some games in the past and hurt us in some close games in the past. He's the boss. I don't want to hear anyone say, he doesn't design the offense or call the plays. During the week, The head coach is responsible for the product on the field and I think everyone takes his cue and during gamedays, Edwards fingerprints are all over this offense. Against Jacksonville, With The Jets prepared to take 3 shots at the end zone to try and win the game. He ran two running plays and only took one shot at the end zone. Chrebet just missed winning the game for the team.

    The bullseye is on Edwards in my opinion. I'm putting everything on his doorstep right now.

    Mike Heimerdinger and the entire offensive staff/players deserve to be blamed and criticized but I think that The Boss has to take the most heat. If The Jets completely collapse this year. I think, There should be some serious consideration to replacing Edwards and Bradway. It might be time to start fresh and turn the page on this regime. They had some good moments but it may be time to start over. Their run may have out run it's course.

    i guess the question whether woody has the balls or knowledge to recognise this and clean house or will TB pull the plug on his HC but then again he has no contract so he may be powerless to effect change as well

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,688
    I blame Herm for the KC game. That was a poorly prepared team and it translated into a loss. The last three games have shown improvement.

    With nothing to lose, Herm should've had Bollinger rolling out of the pocket and lofting bombs downfield.

    Herm needs to get the offense on track.

    Bench Fabini, start Gragg.

    Bench McCarriens, start Cotchery.

    Use the Shotgun formation.

    Throw on first down.

    Give Blaylock & Houston more touches.

    Open up the playbook.

    These are just a few ideas I came up with. Feel free to agree or disagree.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    i guess the question whether woody has the balls or knowledge to recognise this and clean house or will TB pull the plug on his HC but then again he has no contract so he may be powerless to effect change as well
    TB should be the first one out the door...

  13. #13
    Herm usually fires a coach at season's end.Can you fire yourself? There's no one left to point the finger at except the ultimate Cheerleader Herman Edwards.You may also include Bradway in the mix with his complete screwup of not attending to the O line during the offseason.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us