Thread: Jon Kitna anyone?

All Pro

Jon Kitna anyone?

Just wondering, I'm seeing alot of talk about Leinart as our first pick for next year, and I'm thinking we are all ready going to be in trouble with chads contract, so I don't think a QB as a HIGH first round pick is going to work.

I thought Kitna was up for free agency next year. Now I think he would be a guy to look at. He knows how to play and got lost in the Carson Palmer deal. Took his demotion like a pro, but you know he wants to prove something. Has a great arm, and would come a lot cheaper than Lienart would. And he has one thing any rookie QB doesn't have: Experience. For every Manning brother than comes into the league at QB and tears it up, there are 3-4 Ryan Leafs.

I think there are some quality guys out there coming up for FA that should be considered, and possibly using the draft picks to fill many various holes such as O-line, LB depth, secondary and WR depth.

Any thoughts?

Hall Of Fame
    We have Jon Kitna on our team already, his name is Jay Fiedler.

All Pro
    Sorry, I should have made the post clearer. What I meant to say was sign someone like a Jon Kitna that could tutor a lower QB draft pick. I just don't think the Jets can go out and draft a high QB, the money is not going to be there.

There is plenty of talent in the league sitting on benches. Any other suggestions (realistic) and suggestions for lower QB picks who should make some noise in the league?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Kitna would be a solid pickup...He aint Fielder, Kitna has more ability in my opinion..

One thing about Fielder is the guy is always hurt...With the fish he never played a full season...Kitna is a tough, tough QB

Rookie
    Fiedler would make a great backup to Jon Kitna. Kitna has a better arm and a better...let me say..."competitive fiber". If the JETS could make a move for Kitna either this year or the off-season, I would say do it!

GO JETS!

All League
    why the hell would we pick up john kitna?...we have zero friggin cap space and you want to pick up another veteran qb?...its gonna be fiedler or chad starting next season (barring some unforseen trade for a YOUNG qb), might as well get used to it...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer
    why the hell would we pick up john kitna?...we have zero friggin cap space and you want to pick up another veteran qb?...its gonna be fiedler or chad starting next season (barring some unforseen trade for a YOUNG qb), might as well get used to it...
    Any cap space available or created needs to go towards the O-line. Next years draft looks deep at QB a a diamond might be available in rounds 3 or 4.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    We have Jon Kitna on our team already, his name is Jay Fiedler.

lmao funny sig picture

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68
    Any cap space available or created needs to go towards the O-line. Next years draft looks deep at QB a a diamond might be available in rounds 3 or 4.

THat's what I'm talking about. IF there is cap relief from Chad's contract (big if) who is out there we could pick up that would do a good job and could groom a 3-4 round pick for QB because first round QB is going to ask for BIG money.

All League
    I think the Jets will look to bring in a QB with clear physical talent, who very well may be able to start in this league, but hasn't yet. Think Chris Simms or David Gerrard.

Chad McCown- Arizona QB.
    Kid's young and can play, lots of heart

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler
    Chad McCown- Arizona QB.
    Kid's young and can play, lots of heart

??? Josh McCown and why would they get rid of him.

All League
    McCown will be an unrestricted free agent next year, if Pasquarelli has his facts straight

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...=2179550&num=0

McCown aces audition

One young quarterback who is going to get about a four-week audition because of the groin injury that sidelined Kurt Warner, and who figures to be on a lot of videotape for potential suitors as an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, took a step toward earning himself some substantial pesos on Sunday night. Arizona Cardinals backup Josh McCown, who started 13 games for the team in 2004 before coach Dennis Green decided to sign Warner to a one-year contract this spring, played well in a comeback victory at Mexico City.

Overcoming some real butchery at the outset of the game -- including his own fumble after a sack, returned for a touchdown, and another San Francisco touchdown on a bobble by tailback Marcel Shipp -- the fourth-year veteran completed 32 of 46 passes for 385 yards, with a couple of touchdown passes and no interceptions. McCown was sacked three times, actually far better than the ratio at which Warner has been going down, and showed real poise in rebounding from a 14-0 deficit just seven minutes into the landmark game at Azteca Stadium.

Once he settled into a rhythm, and discovered the outmanned and injury-ravaged San Francisco secondary was pretty easy pickings, McCown went to work, connecting time and again with wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, both of whom went over 100 yards, with each scoring a touchdown. In all, McCown did a passable job distributing the ball, with completions to eight different receivers. And although the Arizona running game again left a lot to be desired, McCown kept the offense moving, and mixed his plays pretty well.

None of this is meant to suggest that McCown, a former Sam Houston State star and a third-round choice in the 2002 draft, is a special player. He isn't. At least not yet. But for a franchise that might want to, or will perhaps be forced to make a quarterback change at the end of this season (pay attention here, New York Jets officials, because we're talking to you, among others), he might be an intriguing guy. McCown has good size (6-feet-4 and 217 pounds), a more-than-adequate arm, and just a hint of emerging presence.

As has been noted here in the past, it isn't easy to find a young quarterback with viable starting potential in the unrestricted free agent market, because teams tend to not allow them to get there. Early in the spring, we suggested that David Garrard of Jacksonville might be such a guy next spring, but then the Jaguars signed him to a four-year extension. The Cardinals signed McCown to just a one-year qualifying offer this spring as a restricted free agent, so unfettered freedom is only a little more than five months away. And, if he can string together a few more games like Sunday night's, before Warner returns, then a decent contract, and maybe a legitimate chance for McCown to start elsewhere, is in the offing as well. There will be several teams looking for quarterbacks and, as usual, not nearly enough of them to go around.

All Pro
    david carr

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deadringer

You are absolutely right. Two fragile QBs that will probably do the same thing to the team next year.

However, I like Kitna and a lot of other guys that could and should be starters. I think we are better off with the market then the draft (knowing the Jets poor, bad, aweful, unlucky draft decisions) at least the market will keep us from blowing another pick.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve
    Just wondering, I'm seeing alot of talk about Leinart as our first pick for next year, and I'm thinking we are all ready going to be in trouble with chads contract, so I don't think a QB as a HIGH first round pick is going to work.

I thought Kitna was up for free agency next year. Now I think he would be a guy to look at. He knows how to play and got lost in the Carson Palmer deal. Took his demotion like a pro, but you know he wants to prove something. Has a great arm, and would come a lot cheaper than Lienart would. And he has one thing any rookie QB doesn't have: Experience. For every Manning brother than comes into the league at QB and tears it up, there are 3-4 Ryan Leafs.

I think there are some quality guys out there coming up for FA that should be considered, and possibly using the draft picks to fill many various holes such as O-line, LB depth, secondary and WR depth.

Any thoughts?
    Here a veteran/young Qb ,FA after this year, and might be someone to come in and compete for Jets starting Qb job. Marquis Tuiasosopo - Has great mobility and had misfortune of gettuing hurt ,when he could have made acase for Raiders starting QB job. Andrew Walter is clearly Raiders future at QB. M Tuiasosopo is some one that a team might hit Gold with. He outplayed D Brees in the rose Bowl , a couple years ago.

Banned
    Tuiasosopo is a garbage.

Kitna only issue would be age. He's 34 I believe. However he wouldn't be a bad short-term solution.

McCown is very intriguing. He has tons of ability. Strong-armed, mobile and a lot of guts. His only problem in Arizona is Dennis Green, who expected a guy in his first year as a starter to become a superstar. When it didn't happen he lost his patience.