View Poll Results: Herman Edwards - Good Coach or Big Joke?

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Coach

79 39.90%
  • Big Joke

119 60.10%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Herman Edwards - Yay Or Nay?

corporate heroin

Question Herman Edwards - Yay Or Nay?

I've seen some mixed emotions on the board about Herman Edwards. I personally think he is an amazing coach from beginning to end and I'll keep it as simple as that. I'm just wondering what the feeling on the board is about him.

Practice Squad
    whats amazing about him??? what has he done, and don't give me the "3 playoffs in 4 years", he never brought this team to a level to make it far. We had the talaent to get us there, but he blew some big games that would have given us a better advantage then limping in as a wildcard.

Veteran
    I've been a Herm fan until now. I just can't stand it anymore. He CAN'T manage a game to save his life. Even with Dick Curl there he still finds away to screw things up. It's so friggin' frustating watching this crap on TV.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

With all the major injuries he will get a pass for this year whether any of us like it or not.

I dont get all the Herm bashing. If you look through the history of our coaches he has done more than any of the others except for Weeb.

In 99 everyone wanted to give Parcells a free pass after Vinny went down for the year.

Veteran
    *Sigh*

This is going to turn into more "Herm must go, but we have no idea who should replace him!" talk.

I say he's a good coach. We haven't looked good at all this year, but you can only blame a coach for so much.

Waterboy
    I like Herm. I have a problem with Bradway. Why does it seem like he constantly lets this team get old?? First the defense got old with Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones and Sam Garnes, etc... That wasted a whole season. They made the necessary changes on defense going into last year and we were one FG away from the AFC Championship. Now, regardless of the QB situation, they let the offense get old. The offensive line is getting old by the second which is making Curtis get older faster than he should be. This is 2 wasted seasons when had the Front Office had the forsight to make some changes on the fly BEFORE one of the units got old, we'd be OK. If the o-line were younger and playing better this season would not be a waste. I put this on Bradway and the front office. We always seem to be one step behind with personnel and I'm sick of it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_Jet
    I've been a Herm fan until now. I just can't stand it anymore. He CAN'T manage a game to save his life. Even with Dick Curl there he still finds away to screw things up. It's so friggin' frustating watching this crap on TV.
    exactly...i was a big herm supporter, and if this team somehow turns it around i'll be the first to admit that i never should have doubted him, but we're a joke and he is the center of it...surely there has to be someone out there who can come in and right this ship, or at least do a better job than herm is...

All League
    Stupid Thread. Sorry but Edwards gets a pass he has no players left. I almost died when I saw Vilma go down. If it were me and I could. I would sit him down for the year not to see him get hurt. In a season that's obvious lost.

All League
    I am very disappointed in Edwards. The Jets are not a well coached football team this year. They turn the ball over, make too many penalties and make tons of mental mistakes. The players have no football smarts, demonstrated by the fact that they do not anticipate what the other team is doing from play to play. The most recent example was last night fourth and goal, when everyone but the Jets seemed to know that Michael Vick would be keeping the ball. It is up to the coach to keep his players prepared and in the game, and these players are not in the game.

When adversity hits his team, the coach is supposed to take the team by the throat, calm things down and right the ship. Sometimes that means he must chew a guy out on the sidelines, berate the officials for a bad call, take over the playcalling when the offense is getting nothing done, in a word, TAKE OVER THE REINS! Herm has not been doing any of these things.

All Pro
    Here's the thing about Herm, again, he continues to make terrible on field decisions. Most notably, calling a time out after a questoinable catch by Chrebet, on a first down, no less.

They should have rna up and spiked it, made it second down and not given the replay booth another chacne to look at the play.

The Jets were, once again, absoultly outplayed for the first 15-20 minutes of a football game.
    The team simply isn't responding to him anymore, that's when you ahve to trim the coach, weather you thinkhe's good or not. The Jets are not responding to him.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by papichango
    Stupid Thread. Sorry but Edwards gets a pass he has no players left. I almost died when I saw Vilma go down. If it were me and I could. I would sit him down for the year not to see him get hurt. In a season that's obvious lost.
    why does he get a pass?? This a football, you need to know how the snap the ball to the QB!!! we can't even get that right. These players are not prepared!! they are out of shape that's why everyone is getting injured!! this all falls on the head coach who does not know how to manage a team. enough of the cheerleader and the face maker. Start getting some passion and start yelling on the sideline, seriously the guys just stands there and listens to his headset, he might as well be sitting at home. Most of us can make these calls from the last row in the stadium yet he looks perplexed out there on every play. enough, give henderson the job, at least he's not afraid to yell at anyone.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PJC331
    why does he get a pass?? This a football, you need to know how the snap the ball to the QB!!! we can't even get that right. These players are not prepared!! they are out of shape that's why everyone is getting injured!! this all falls on the head coach who does not know how to manage a team. enough of the cheerleader and the face maker. Start getting some passion and start yelling on the sideline, seriously the guys just stands there and listens to his headset, he might as well be sitting at home. Most of us can make these calls from the last row in the stadium yet he looks perplexed out there on every play. enough, give henderson the job, at least he's not afraid to yell at anyone.
    Kendall 's not even a center he was moved there only last week. Third string quarterbacks don't work with the first team. Yet people like you somehow think they do and are quick to attack someone like Bollinger when he takes the field with a group he hasn't work with. How quickly things change when you are the second string. The offensive line has been moved out of position because of the absence of Kevin Mawae. This is what you do because unlike back up quarterbacks you don't stock up on Centers.

Edwards is a motivator not a yeller so forget it. He has lost people in key position. That's like losing your best pitchers and hitters in baseball. (Yankees)
    JOKING.

I'm not harping Edwards I'm one to say he's too soft. But if you can remember clearly this team has always sucked at depth. So he really has nothing to work with. He gets a pass . If he would have kept Testaverde there longer than two weeks than I would have hung him.

i think herm is a good coach but even the best outlive their usefulness.

as stated in numerous posts, this team gets out of the gate slowly. this has been a problem early in just about every season he's been coach and lately the team doesn't start playing very well until the second quarter. last night's game was just the lates example though it's hard to blame the whole team for vinny's 3 fumbles from snap in the first half. the defense, on final review played okay since they were able to contain vick and make some key turnovers but they could not stop dunn and the 65 yard run was inexcusable.

but what is really irksome is that numerous teams haven't invested nearly as much as the jets have on their lines and they all seem to play better. i don't want to hear the excuse that the oline played poorly because mawae went down because similar injuries happen to every team. and look at the falcons oline, a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders who were pushing around the much vaunted first round dline of the jets. get us all a break.

i am not sure if herm should stay or go. on the one hand he is getting old in head coach terms. on the other the team does (or has) play hard for him. one big question is should herm/bradway pick the next qb if they're not going to be around?

Waterboy
    Herm is the worst game day coach in the NFL. His clock management is bad, he seems to struggle with the rule book, play calling is terrible and he is too conservative.

Give me Charlie Weis. ND basically has the same team on the field this year as last and look at the turnaround...

All League
    My problem with Edwards is his devotion to veteran players . Like Testaverde. He's retired let it go. Martin "he's a warrior" So. Martin can't run today sit him down Herm.

Lets give big contracts to all of Bill Parcells people because as Head coach this will make my life easier and make me look like I know what I'm doing.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by papichango
    Kendall 's not even a center he was moved there only last week. Third string quarterbacks don't work with the first team. Yet people like you somehow think they do and are quick to attack someone like Bollinger when he takes the field with a group he hasn't work with. How quickly things change when you are the second string. The offensive line has been moved out of position because of the absence of Kevin Mawae. This is what you do because unlike back up quarterbacks you don't stock up on Centers.

Edwards is a motivator not a yeller so forget it. He has lost people in key position. That's like losing your best pitchers and hitters in baseball. (Yankees)
    JOKING.

I'm not harping Edwards I'm one to say he's too soft. But if you can remember clearly this team has always sucked at depth. So he really has nothing to work with. He gets a pass . If he would have kept Testaverde there longer than two weeks than I would have hung him.
    hey you bring up a great point, we have guys playing out of position yet we have 5 QB's on out roster, one who will not play this year. why is that?? do we need more cheerleaders?

Herm is just a terrible game day coach. Terrible. There is no other way around it when you see what went on yesterday. It has nothing to do with the team coming in sluggish or injuries, but it has to do with the way he works the game. He lost a time out. Took a bad one on a play that would not have been overturned had they hurried up. His excuse---they werent spotting the ball fast enough. He doesnt say a word about the PI calls letting his WRs do all the complaining. This is the negatives of a coach who never was an assistant. When you watch the sideline stuff on the NFL Network he seems to be the least vocal game day coach in the NFL.

If the team comes back with much of the same roster Herm needs to go. Hes lost this team. Its gone. Questions may have lingered after Pittsburgh and carried over, but whatever the reason its over. Now if the team blows it up you can let him stay. Its not a good choice, but if you feel he does not deserve to be fired its the only way I can see us keeping him. You need to get a feel for when is the time to let a coach go. Miami and Minnesota all waited too long. If the Jets dont play better in the next 9 weeks I hope we dont wait too long either.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by corporate heroin
    I've seen some mixed emotions on the board about Herman Edwards. I personally think he is an amazing coach from beginning to end and I'll keep it as simple as that. I'm just wondering what the feeling on the board is about him.
    I guess i'd have to say I can't vote for either option.

I always thought he was a great coach BEFORE. I never thought he was a big Joke, even now I don't believe that.

What I believe is he has lost the players. The players no longer are fired up from his speeches. The same old material has gotten old. He can no longer motivate the team to the desired level to have success.

Sometimes a change of pace or a new face is necessary.

this is why I think Herm needs to go........

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PJC331
    hey you bring up a great point, we have guys playing out of position yet we have 5 QB's on out roster, one who will not play this year. why is that?? do we need more cheerleaders?
    No. One Pennington is good enough for cheerleading

Rookie
    herm is a good coahc and is underrapreciated here in NY.