Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't the clock stop at end of 1st

Why didn't the clock stop at end of 1st

half?

Not that it would have changed the game at all, but isn't the clock supposed to stop when you catch a ball and get knocked out of bounds? Just wondering.

Undrafted Free Agent
    another terrible reffering blunder for the nfl yet again they said he stoped foward progress... it was a terible call

Undrafted Free Agent

Forward Progress

The ref & line judge decided to give the Jets receiver forward progress and then neglected to signal that after signaling the complete catch. The refs were no help at all last night. Not that it would have changed the game, but a few calls (2 offensive pass interference calls, bogus holding on Miller's TD, ect) really took the wind out of their sails last night.

Veteran
    The forward progress call was a bad call. Coles was clearly pushed out of bounds.

But the real killer was not getting the timeout back after the booth review, as the rules dictated.

If we've got that timeout, we could have run another play and kicked a FG.

All League
    The officiating in the NFL is worse than ever and is now, IMO, worse than basketball and boxing. Sports officiating rated from best to worst:

1. Hockey
    2. Baseball
    3. Boxing
    4. Basketball
    5. Football

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch
    The forward progress call was a bad call. Coles was clearly pushed out of bounds.

But the real killer was not getting the timeout back after the booth review, as the rules dictated.

If we've got that timeout, we could have run another play and kicked a FG.

the jets should have run up to the line and spiked the ball. that was what should have been done. it would have given the jets the first down and negated the review and the loss of the timeout.... but i am no nfl coach and herm is and he knows what he is doing

Quote Originally Posted by SU5PECT
    The ref & line judge decided to give the Jets receiver forward progress and then neglected to signal that after signaling the complete catch. The refs were no help at all last night. Not that it would have changed the game, but a few calls (2 offensive pass interference calls, bogus holding on Miller's TD, ect) really took the wind out of their sails last night.
    I agree. They missed a couple of pass int calls against the Falcons. The holding call on Miller's return was really ticky-tack stuff. If they are going to call THAT holding, then they should throw a flag on almost every play. Oh well, the refs sucked, but the refs didn't make Vinny fumble 3 times.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joemusgo
    The officiating in the NFL is worse than ever and is now, IMO, worse than basketball and boxing. Sports officiating rated from best to worst:

1. Hockey
    2. Baseball
    3. Boxing
    4. Basketball
    5. Football
    baseball is #2? have you been WATCHING the post-season at all??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec
    Not that baseball is particularly good, it's just that the others are so painfully bad. I can barely watch basketball anymore with the number of fouls that are called and the arbitrary nature of the calls. Shaq gets away with murder. And IMHO, football is much worse than baseball the way games are routinely decided by the officials rather than by the players.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec

i cant stand baseball umpires i think they are the most egotistical sob's i think its terrible that you can not even look at an umpire without having a very good chance of getting kicked out. Looki am not for players going off on umpires/reffereees but my god in baseball its just pathetic you can mumble something underyourbreth in the dugout and get kicked out. Like seriously grow a thicker skin . The nfl is just a joke

All League
    I'm not saying we would have won but therE is NOWAY that the NFL is going to let Vick lose on Monday night...There is just NO WAY!!

The refs wEre horrible...The lost timeout, the sideline play to Coles ( never seen that in the 40+ years i've been watching)...Miller's return..Vilma was held on just about every play...The phantom push offs...

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan
    ...The phantom push offs...

We were about to change the momentum and that first call just took it away from us. Terrible call.

All League
    I'm not saying we would have won but therE is NOWAY that the NFL is going to let Vick lose on Monday night...There is just NO WAY!!

The refs wEre horrible...The lost timeout, the sideline play to Coles ( never seen that in the 40+ years i've been watching)...Miller's return..Vilma was held on just about every play...The phantom push offs...

Let's not get carried away. The officiating in the NFL is just inept, it's not a coordinated conspiracy to insure that certain teams win certain games. And, as has been said in many posts and threads today, it doesn't help that Herm never berates the officials for any of these ridiculous calls.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by joemusgo
    Let's not get carried away. The officiating in the NFL is just inept, it's not a coordinated conspiracy to insure that certain teams win certain games. And, as has been said in many posts and threads today, it doesn't help that Herm never berates the officials for any of these ridiculous calls.

Some teams/players get all the calls on MNF....I'm sure it is not a coordinated conspiracy but the refs/NFl sure as hell want the STARS to shine on Monday night when the world is watching..It is all about marketing.. Dan Marino and the Dolphins are a perfect example..They got all the calls because the public loved Marino and the NFL wanted him to shine on Monday night..Vick is good for the NFL's long term marketing plans..

Anyway, my point is that we would have see a bunch more flags had the JETS closed the gap

Waterboy
    Jets can't run the ball, Jets can't stop the run, Jets commit 4 turnovers and some of you are blaming the officials for the loss? Go figure.

Rookie
    the refs should atleast know the freaking rules...and if they werent sure they should haved checked the rule book, not just make their own rules as the games goes on.

All Pro

Considering how hard Vick is pushed down the throats of football fans, I'd have to agree.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFranchise
    Considering how hard Vick is pushed down the throats of football fans, I'd have to agree.
    Look, I think the Jets consistently get the short end of the stick on calls because we are a beleagured franchise and because the rest of the country despises and resents New York. But I don't think it has anything to do with some unspoken directive that certain players/teams should be given the benefit of the calls. That is really cynical and borderline paranoid.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by striper001
    Jets can't run the ball, Jets can't stop the run, Jets commit 4 turnovers and some of you are blaming the officials for the loss? Go figure.
    i don't think they're blaming the officials for the loss. the jets did play like crap. but you got to admit, there were a few really bad calls against the jets around the time they started to look like they had some momentum.

i think the worst call was not giving them the timeout. i knew they were supposed to get their timeout back. how come the refs on the field didn't? that's just pathetic. about the clock still running after the coles reception. i agree that was a bad call, but vinny and the offense (herm too) should have realized that the clock was still running. that's the QB's job. they just assumed the clock was stopped.
    Last edited by loluchka80; 10-26-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by striper001
    I don't see one post in this thread that blames the loss on officiating.