Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets management makes bad decisions

Undrafted Free Agent

Jets management makes bad decisions

I feel that the decisions to let Lamont Jordan and Santana Moss go to other teams was terrible. Trading our first round pick for Jolley was another one. We need better decision making from managment. I don't even want to get into our shared stadium deal with the Giants.

Practice Squad
    we didnt trade our first round pick for jolley. we get nugent also. if we keep lamont that means no money to sign abraham, law, ext.

Veteran
    another person who makes a statement about not keeping lamont or moss is a hypocrite, everyone wanted them out, or at least santana

Undrafted Free Agent
    I thought we traded our first rounder for Jolley? The Santana Moss for Coles deal was plain stupid. Moss is a dynamic reciever/punt returner. They should be more proactive like Bellicheck. Cut aging players and draft and keep young players.

All League
    The Lamont decision was terrible. We should have traded him or Curtis some time ago. At least we got something for Santana. Other poor and/or bad management decision was letting McKenzie go and giving up two first rounders for drob.

Practice Squad
    in hindsight the moss trade doesnt look great...but that "dynamic" kick returner ran out of bounds all the time. plus its tough for coles to get tons of catches with no running game and the revolving door of qbs. moss has a rejuvinated brunell and clinton portis running

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 51 VILMA 51
    another person who makes a statement about not keeping lamont or moss is a hypocrite, everyone wanted them out, or at least santana

I honestly thought he was a bust. Couple of flashes here and their, but that was it. Happy for him. Lamont was another story. I liked everything about him minus the one fumble against pittsburgh in the snow. He was a beast.

Undrafted Free Agent
    The problem with Moss on the Jets was they couldn't get the ball to him. I was at the Baltimore game when Moss did a 360 and scored on a punt return. Easily the fastest Jet we have seen in years. Pennington was the problem.

All Pro
    For once and for all here are the detail on the Jolley trade

The New York Jets announced Thursday the acquisition of tight end Doug Jolley from the Oakland Raiders in exchange for the Jetsí first-round draft choice (26th overall). Additionally, the Raiders will send the Jets the second round selection (47th overall) they received from the Houston Texans and two more selections from the sixth round (182nd from Arizona and 185th from Dallas). Along with the first round pick, the Jets will send the Raiders one of their seventh round selections (230th overall from Minnesota)

Undrafted Free Agent
    The Raiders fleeced the Jets for Jolley. Why would the trade a first round choice (plus other draft choices) for an average tight end. We already had Baker.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by harryooo
    The Raiders fleeced the Jets for Jolley. Why would the trade a first round choice (plus other draft choices) for an average tight end. We already had Baker.
    Read the trade .. the jets moved down form the first down and got Jolley a second round pick and 2 six round picks

so they got Jolley, Nuggent, Cedric Houston and Jooel Dressen. and were able to draft Justin Miller in the second round with their own pick.

Thats the trade.

The New York Jets announced Thursday the acquisition of tight end Doug Jolley from the Oakland Raiders in exchange for the Jetsí first-round draft choice (26th overall). Additionally, the Raiders will send the Jets the second round selection (47th overall) they received from the Houston Texans and two more selections from the sixth round (182nd from Arizona and 185th from Dallas). Along with the first round pick, the Jets will send the Raiders one of their seventh round selections (230th overall from Minnesota)

The problem with Moss on the Jets was they couldn't get the ball to him. I was at the Baltimore game when Moss did a 360 and scored on a punt return. Easily the fastest Jet we have seen in years. Pennington was the problem.
    Not true, before Pennington injured his shoulder the jets got the ball to their wideouts just fine....2002 Coles 89 receptions... 1200+ yds....14+ per catch....5 TDS and Chrebet 51 catches...13.5 yds per catch...9 TDS....In 2003 Santana Moss 74 receptions....1100 + yds....14.9 per catch....10 TDS....Even last year although Moss had only 45 receptions he averaged 18.6 per catch

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel
    Read the trade .. the jets moved down form the first down and got Jolley a second round pick and 2 six round picks

so they got Jolley, Nuggent, Cedric Houston and Jooel Dressen. and were able to draft Justin Miller in the second round with their own pick.

Thats the trade.

This also allowed them to use one of the extra 6th round picks to move up in the fourth round and take Kerry Rhodes who is our starting safety.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I still think Management makes poor decisions based on the players we let go. Moss, Jordan, and McKenzie should still be on the team. It is our offense that is struggling. Jolley was not the answer and I still think we gave up too much for him.

Waterboy
    I still think Management makes poor decisions based on the players we let go. Moss, Jordan, and McKenzie should still be on the team. It is our offense that is struggling. Jolley was not the answer and I still think we gave up too much for him.
    McKenzie is the highest paid RT in the game. L Jordan got a huge contrat to be a RBfrom OAK. Pennington was never able to fully exploit Moss' talent due to his rag arm, and Coles was clearly a better WR up to this year. And it is a bit presumptuous to judge Coles production when the guy throwing him the ball was eating cannolis on the couch 4 weeks ago.

Maybe we gave up too much for Jolley, maybe not. On one hand we would have Heath Miller an Justin Miller the way the draft panned out, on the other we have Nugent, Miller, Dreesen, Kerry Rhodes, and Cedric Houston. Option 2 looks alot better to me in the long run.

Seriously, we all are upset that the Jets stink. But use a little logic when trying to pass blame on the management. If we did what you wanted we would be 20 million over the cap or would have had to field 8 players on O and D since we couldn't fit an entire team under the cap. Stupid rants solve nothing.

The one i would agree with is Lamont, but they did not have much choice. if you cut Martin they would have been killed with the salary cap...They offered Lamont a good amount of money but he wanted to start, can't blame him there....The mistake was not getting Lamont more playing time the last couple of years so he could have seen some light at the end of the tunnel...As for Moss, he had shown flashes before to what he is doing now, I believe in 2003 he had TD catches in 6-7 straight games and put up great numbers until the last few games that year, the jets just felt Coles was a better fit..... as for Kareem, no way you can pay 37 million for a right tackle who is solid but no where near a pro bowler...he had his worst year for the jets last season and so far for the Giants he has been ok, he has at least 4 holding calls this year that i have seen and i do not watch the entire giant games along with a few false starts and i believe adrian jones has a very high upside at left tackle for the jets a positon Kareem can't or won't play.

Undrafted Free Agent
    The Jets defense has not been our problem. It is the lack of explosiveness from our offense that has kept the team from making it to the super bowl. In the Playoff game against the Steelers our defense kept us in the game. At the end of the game the didn't even push to make the field goals close in frigid temperatures (when we could have run Lamont to get a close field goal). The we cut Doug Brein and trade for a tight end with our first pick and a Kicker in the 2nd round?????? Let Santana and Jordan go were just bad decisions. They were our only explosive offensive players. Every team in the leauge get big plays from the offense execpt us.

Waterboy
    The Jets defense has not been our problem. It is the lack of explosiveness from our offense that has kept the team from making it to the super bowl. In the Playoff game against the Steelers our defense kept us in the game. At the end of the game the didn't even push to make the field goals close in frigid temperatures (when we could have run Lamont to get a close field goal). The we cut Doug Brein and trade for a tight end with our first pick and a Kicker in the 2nd round?????? Let Santana and Jordan go were just bad decisions. They were our only explosive offensive players. Every team in the leauge get big plays from the offense execpt us.
    Are you bothering to read anyone's response, or did you intend to just rant on and on by yourself?

Undrafted Free Agent
    I read other responses and stated our offense needs explosive players. Letting Moss and Jordan go were bad decisions. They could have tried to tie up Jordan long term before last year when he was a free agent. There was no reason for the Moss/Coles trade.

All Pro
    Yeah I wanted Santana out but the people who think he'd be doing what he's doing with us is sorely mistaken. The Jets just kept Moss bottled up too long...this emergence was long overdue. The Jets were banking on the Pennington-Coles connection but the problem is...there's no Pennington.

What could the Jets done to keep LJ? The Raiders were offering a starting job and a lot of money. Even if the Jets came up with the money, LJ wanted to step out of Martin's shadow. if we through a bunch of money at a backup RB, we wouldn't have been able to sign Ty Law like almost everyone wanted to do...

I agree on the Jolley trade. We trade dout of the first round and ended up with a K and a good value at CB...but trading out of the 1st round for a guy you don't play was..I guess STUPID.

I also think it was stupid not to address the OLINE at all in last year's draft knowing our LT(Fabini), LG(Kendall), and our C(Mawae) are getting up there in age. All of the above hit a wall/got injured so now we have a patchwork OLINE.

I also didn't like how the Jets made the fan and media believe Abraham could play in last year's playoffs when everyone on the team knew he couldn't. They totally disrepect the guy when talking contratc and now there's a greta chance he wont be back in Green and White.

I won't touch the giving 64 mil to CP issue though...