Thread: Santana A Major Player

All Pro

Thumbs up Santana A Major Player

Offense covered by Moss
    Former Jet steps out of Coles' shadow to lead NFL in reception yardage and put long ball in Washington's attack

Email this story

Printer friendly format

BY BOB GLAUBER
    STAFF CORRESPONDENT

October 28, 2005

ASHBURN, Va. -- Santana Moss rolled his eyes at the reporter's faux pas.

"Laveranues, why do you think . . . "

"Oh, great," Moss said. "Thanks."

The reminder clearly grated on Redskins receiver Moss, who is trying his best to forget all about Laveranues Coles, the player for whom he was traded when the Redskins and Jets swapped receivers in the offseason.

Moss played in Coles' shadow during Moss' largely uninspiring four-year career with the Jets - even after Coles joined the Redskins as a free agent in 2003. No matter how good Moss was with the Jets, it seemed he was never as good as Coles.

"I gave them all I could give and then some," Moss said. "If that wasn't good enough, then so be it."

But it is more than good enough for the Redskins, for whom Moss has revived his career; he is the NFL's leading receiver with 743 yards. He already has five touchdowns for a Redskins team that was supposed to be rebuilding on offense in the second year of Joe Gibbs' return.

Meanwhile, Coles has about half Moss' yardage total (385) to go with just one touchdown, although that's hardly a surprise, considering the Jets' horrific injury problems at quarterback. Even so, the juxtaposition is startling, because the consensus at the time of the trade was that the Jets got the better value. By far.

By the time Moss was dealt, the Jets' coaching staff had soured on his ability to remain healthy and get the tough yards over the middle. Moss heard the whispers before he left, and he still chafes at the perception.

"Last year, I had a little hamstring, but I still went out there and played every game," said Moss, who actually missed one game in 2004. "So it upset me the way that went down, because the way I handled myself when I played injured, I didn't really have a chance to be myself. The players knew what I put out.

"What bothers me the most is people taking one little negative thing," he said. "How can you be productive when they don't use you? If I wasn't productive, then I guess we all weren't productive. They have to give you the chance to be productive. As far as I was concerned, I never felt a doubt in my mind."

No one else doubts him either, not after his performance through the first six games. Moss has put the long ball back in the Redskins' offense; his two late touchdowns against the Cowboys, including a 70-yarder, in Week 2 helped Washington to its first win. And his consistent ability to get open down the field has created opportunities for the team's other skill-position players, including running back Clinton Portis, who is on pace to gain 1,451 yards, and tight end Chris Cooley, who has 299 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

Moss' emergence also has been a crucial factor in the exceptional play of quarterback Mark Brunell, who lost his starting job midway through last season but was reinstated this season after Week 1. But if you ask Brunell, it's not anything he's doing.

"I'll be very honest with you," he said. "This is about 80 or 90 percent Santana Moss and 10 or 20 percent me."

Modest? Perhaps. But it might not be far from the truth. Consider that the Redskins had almost no downfield passing game last year, to the point that people questioned whether something was wrong with Brunell's arm.

"No, there was nothing wrong with my arm," he said. "We just didn't have things going last year, for a lot of reasons. But I think having Santana added something that's really helped us. There aren't too many guys around like him."

Oddly enough, Coles bristled under Gibbs' approach, which put a greater emphasis on running the ball and having the receivers run more intermediate, and not deeper, routes. But Gibbs decided in the offseason that he had to find a way to stretch the field. Moss not only solved that problem but also the one with Coles, who wanted out.

"Santana's been everything we could have asked for," Gibbs said. "He's got speed, got great hands and he's an explosive player."

"There's nothing he can't do," Brunell said of the 5-10 Moss. "I've been around a few good ones, and he's right up there. The only thing he doesn't have is he's not 6-4. But he doesn't have to be."

The Giants will get a close-up look at Moss when they host the Redskins on Sunday in a key NFC East game at Giants Stadium. On paper, the matchup doesn't bode well for Big Blue. The Giants are next-to-last in pass defense, allowing 295.8 yards per game.

Moss takes nothing for granted. "They're going to show up and play, believe me," he said.

But don't be surprised to see Moss get the better of the Giants' defensive backs, and rub it in with his old team in the process.

"I always like to make the critics scratch their heads," he said. "I like to see them wonder a little bit. Players always have the last chance to make a statement. I'm just out here to handle my business. When it's time to wrap up and see what kind of season we've had, then I'll think about it. For now, I'm just having fun."

Gathering Moss

Comparing Santana Moss' numbers in the first six games of the 2004 season, his last as a Jet, with this year's start for the Redskins:

Rec Yds Avg. Long TD

2004* 13 243 18.7 48 0

2005 38 743 19.6 78 5

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't know how much you can blame Woody for trading the guy, he wasn't going to stay here after this season, at least we got something in return for him.

Lamont however, is a totally different story.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan
    I don't know how much you can blame Woody for trading the guy, he wasn't going to stay here after this season, at least we got something in return for him.

Lamont however, is a totally different story.
    It's wasn't Woody's fault he doesn't handle player personel, Blame Bradway and that crybaby Pennington.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman
    It's wasn't Woody's fault he doesn't handle player personel, Blame Bradway and that crybaby Pennington.
    Touche', sorry bout that, last night was homecoming and I'm still really hungover.

Waterboy

why

if pennington was able to reach moss, the same reult would have been... moss always had to stop and wait on the ball which gave the defenders time to catch up... pennington sucks...

exactly...ive been sayin this for years now and everyone would still blame santana

JetsInsider.com Legend
    anyone else notice how fraudulent the Skins are? They haven't beaten any really good teams this season... and here we are watching the giants beat em up.

Banned

Sideline Santana-Always until he got the $$$$$$$

And that is the bottom line. He did NOT want to get hurt until he got the big contract, and that is why, he was horrible here. A real wuss. And, yes you are right, penny could not get him the long ball. And how is he doing today against the Jints??? Nada.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Tough day so far for Santana and the Skins passing game. I've got Brunell as my fantasy QB and he hasn't produced one effin point yet.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gs4jets
    if pennington was able to reach moss, the same reult would have been... moss always had to stop and wait on the ball which gave the defenders time to catch up... pennington sucks...

Oh Please,the guy made 2 long TDs against the Cowboys,and you people go nuts.Look at the skins offense.They use Santana the same exact way the Jets used him.They try to get him the ball in space,and occasionally,they send him long.The biggest difference is in the blocking schemes and the desire by the player.

Quote Originally Posted by gs4jets
    You have a short memory....2003 Santana Moss 74 receptions...1100+ yds....15 yds per catch....10TDS....I believe he caught a touchdown in six or seven straight games that year and that was with hardly putting up any numbers the last 3 or so games that year....I guess he got the ball just fine that year.... before pennington injured his shoulder the wideouts did well 2002 Coles 89 catches 1200+ yds...14.4 per and 5 TDS and Chrebet 51 catches...13.5 per.....9 TDS.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tinsink91
    And that is the bottom line. He did NOT want to get hurt until he got the big contract, and that is why, he was horrible here. A real wuss. And, yes you are right, penny could not get him the long ball. And how is he doing today against the Jints??? Nada.

you sound really silly

Santana was misused here in this offense big time and is now finally being utilized properly, Hackett had him running go routes and screen passes and never asked him to run crossing patterns or hooks etc...hes running them now and is on an all pro type tear mid way through the season

what is he doing today??? the same thing the whole team is doing squat, brunnell is getting killed out there and has no time to throw and the run is gone with such a lead for the Vagiants

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar
    Oh Please,the guy made 2 long TDs against the Cowboys,and you people go nuts.Look at the skins offense.They use Santana the same exact way the Jets used him.They try to get him the ball in space,and occasionally,they send him long.The biggest difference is in the blocking schemes and the desire by the player.

they use him the same??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    they use him the same??? lol

How was Santana used in the 2003 season when he put up some pretty good numbers....Plus the fact although he only had 45 catches last year he averaged 18.6 per reception.