Thread: Jets sign two. (merged)

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Jets sign two.

http://www.jetsinsider.net/ji/news.php?storyid=1591

To add depth to the roster due to the loss of LB Eric Barton and C Kevin Mawae, the Jets signed LB TJ Hollowell and G Doug Nienhuis.

Hollowell (6'0"-235), originally an undrafted free agent from Nebraska in 2004, was signed off the Giants' practice squad where he has spent most of the last 2 seasons.

Nienhuis (6'6" 307), is a rookie and was a 7th round pick of Seattle this April from Oregon State. The Jets signed him off the Seahawks' practice squad.

Hall Of Fame
    Makes no difference, the season is a wash anyhow......

Hall Of Fame
    Detroit here we come!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    The Neinheus guy sounds interesting just because hes 6'6 and 300 lbs. We might be able to get a solid backup out of him if he shows any promise with us.

Charter JI Member
    Where did we get the money?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    I heard you sent a check

for what? guys who get paid the lowest in the league

If I remember him correctly from the combine, he is slow ... Fabini slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m
    The Neinheus guy sounds interesting just because hes 6'6 and 300 lbs. We might be able to get a solid backup out of him if he shows any promise with us.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER
    I heard you sent a check
    Insider Club helping out the team!

All Pro

they raised ticket prices

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet
    Makes no difference, the season is a wash anyhow......
    Would you rather see them not do anything so that everyone can complain?

I don't think they consider the season a wash, otherwise they wouldn't be making these moves.

I'd like to see Nienhuis play as soon as he can because the offense needs more help then the defense right now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER
    Nienhuis (6'6" 307), is a rookie and was a 7th round pick of Seattle this April from Oregon State. The Jets signed him off the Seahawks' practice squad.
    This kid is a guard? That's one big dude.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by inchadwetrust
    If I remember him correctly from the combine, he is slow ... Fabini slow.

5.1ish not so bad

Veteran
    This Nienhus signing will put us over the top. Now I know being a Jets Insider was worth it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    Would you rather see them not do anything so that everyone can complain?

I don't think they consider the season a wash, otherwise they wouldn't be making these moves.

I'd like to see Nienhuis play as soon as he can because the offense needs more help then the defense right now.
    Let me save you the suspense, the season IS A WASH........

Now in that the Jets have lost players for the season, they can, and will fill the roster spots. However, there are NO decent replacements to come off the waiver wire or somebody elses practice squad that are going to fill the giant shoes of Eric Barton and Keven Mawae. Doesn't happen in mid season for ANYBODY, assuming they get in the same pickle the Jets are in at this point.

Does this surprise you any????

Hall Of Fame

Arrow JETS sign . . . ~ ~ ~

Jets | Nienhuis Added
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:58:54 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets signed OG Doug Nienhuis (Seahawks) off the practice squad of the Seattle Seahawks.

Jets | Hollowell Added
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:58:31 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets signed LB T.J. Hollowell (Giants) off the practice squad of the New York Giants.

Jets | Barton Placed on IR
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:58:09 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets LB Eric Barton (biceps) is expected to undergo surgery to repair a torn left biceps and has been placed on Injured Reserve, officially ending his 2005 season.

Jets | Mawae Undergoes Surgery, Placed on IR
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:57:03 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets C Kevin Mawae (triceps) underwent successful surgery to repair his torn triceps tendon and has been placed on Injured Reserve, officially ending his 2005 season.

Jets | Pennington Placed on IR
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:56:41 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets QB Chad Pennington (shoulder) has been placed on Injured Reserve, officially ending his 2005 season

Jets | Blaylock Out for Week 9
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:56:18 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets RB Derrick Blaylock (foot) will not play in Week 9 and could miss another month of action as he continues to recover from surgery to repair a foot injury.

Jets | Fiedler Injury Update
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:55:21 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets QB Jay Fiedler (shoulder) tested his shoulder injury by lightly throwing during practice Monday, Oct. 31. "He tried to throw today," head coach Herman Edwards said. "It was OK, but it wasn't anything you could write home about. It wasn't anything for you to believe he was going to be ready by the end of the week." Fiedler will not play in Week 9.

Jets | Celestin Questionable for Week 9
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:55:00 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets S Oliver Celestin (knee) is listed as questionable for Week 9 due to a knee injury. Celestin was sidelined during Week 8.

Jets | Martin Practices, Probable for Week 9
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:54:32 -0800
    Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets RB Curtis Martin (knee) practiced Monday, Oct. 31 and is listed as probable for Week 9.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets freed up some cash with The Morley extension and the fact that they didn't play a game this past week. Law didn't get a playing bonus in week 8.

That's my guess on how they created room for these two signings.

There are better players available on other teams practice squads and I am surprised that The Jets didn't go sign Dennis Haley off of The Ravens practice squad. They may have elevated him to their active roster to prevent such a move.

All Pro
    Nienhuis could actually be a good pickup for the future. He was a very good OT in college, but pro scouts viewed him as a better pro prospect at Guard. He's smart, a decent athlete and he moves pretty well for a big guy. His 20 yard shuttle time was excellent for an O-Lineman, a very good sign for a Jets team that likes mobility in its interior linemen.

All Pro
    Jets | Martin Practices, Probable for Week 9
    Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:54:32 -0800 Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports New York Jets RB Curtis Martin (knee) practiced Monday, Oct. 31 and is listed as probable for Week 9.
    thank god!!! I was getting worried.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac

thank god!!! I was getting worried.
    Check your PM's and email, megalo ... then send me a PM immedaitely, before I split

Thanks