Thread: Cedric Houston: get this guy the ball

Cedric Houston: get this guy the ball

Well, the ONE carry this guy had (at least that I saw anyway) he looked dynamite. Herm, can we pleeeeeease get him a few more carries. I think Martin's great, but let's see what Houston's got. He looks very Jordanish, with more speed. Mind you, I'm judging that on ONE carry.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

The man was a dynamite back in the tough SEC......at this point he should AT LEAST split carry's with C Mart.

Rookie
    Whats the over/under on the amount of carries he get this week?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak

The man was a dynamite back in the tough SEC......at this point he should AT LEAST split carry's with C Mart.
    In Herm's doghouse

He'll make a great back for the Pats in a few years

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

LOL!!

thje way Dillon is running they could use him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman73
    In Herm's doghouse

He'll make a great back for the Pats in a few years

better yet - let's make sure he gets no carries for three years and signs with the Raiders!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Herm better wake up and get this kid some carries. Old reliable isn't getting it done anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    Herm better wake up and get this kid some carries. Old reliable isn't getting it done anymore.
    I just wish (aside from being incompetent), there was an explanation for his rationale. Martin can certainly get the tough yards, but he just isn't explosive anymore. That was so clear when they gave Jordan some carries when he flew threw the line last year. Very frustrating. Twice now (with Pennington and Bollinger), it took a Vinny injury to finally pull the plug and put a good young QB in. I was somewhat of a Herm believe before this season, what he does boggles the mind.

Veteran
    Herm knows he's under the microscope, so he plays it safe and sticks with the vets. I can't say that he's totally reluctant, look at Coleman and Rhodes. Herm didn't have a choice with DRob. For some reason Herm's comfortable with a slow and injuerd Martin than going with faster, more powerful rookie like Houston. Right now, both Houston and Cotchery should be on the starting lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by JETSET47
    Herm knows he's under the microscope, so he plays it safe and sticks with the vets. I can't say that he's totally reluctant, look at Coleman and Rhodes. Herm didn't have a choice with DRob. For some reason Herm's comfortable with a slow and injuerd Martin than going with faster, more powerful rookie like Houston. Right now, both Houston and Cotchery should be on the starting lineup.
    Good point about Cotchery. Forgot about him. That's another mystery. He seems to really have a knack for maneuvering in traffic after the catch (again, only based on punt returns and a few catches). Don't understand that one either, especially given Chrebet's status. Could be he's intimidated enough by Henderson where he doesn't have as much influence over defensive personel decisions. I'm starting to believe the stories where there's tension between him and Bradway. I could believe he's pissed at Herm, given all these guys Bradway picks that Edwards refuses to play until he's forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattay
    Whats the over/under on the amount of carries he get this week?
    2.5 and I'll take the under. The kid should get at least 10 carries a game.

Hall Of Fame
    There's something you have to realize in regards to Herm. It's obvious he doesn't want to play young guys, period. Now I know a lot of guys on this board point to the defense and Coleman, Rhodes and Vilma, but I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation. The reality is these guys all started because there was no veterans to start over them, it's that simple. When Coleman won the job last year, the only two people he was up against were two inconsistent veterans. Tongue, who had just joined the team, and McGraw, who was injury prone. Even then they were both the starters through camp until McGraw got hurt AGAIN and then Coleman was announced as "winning" the starting job. Then you have Vilma, who was backup to Cowart at the start of last year. Vilma only stepped into the starting lineup once Cowart got hurt. Then you have the same situation with Rhodes as you did with Coleman, only this time you don't even have Tongue or McGraw around anymore. The only people he were competing with were other young guys (Celestin and Washington).

When you look at it for what it really is, Herm is stubborn to a fault in starting his veterans. It really makes you wonder if Bradway isn't a lot better drafting then we give him credit, it's just that young guys never get a shot with Herm at the helm. The reason I bring this up is it obviously applies to the Houston situation and this is something Herm needs to correct. I'm not saying you have to bench Martin, but you need to give some young guys a shot. I'm afraid that won't happen though as long as Herm is still around.

Rookie
    There are alot of reasons to want to see Houston.

But the main reason,and the one least talked about is the Future of the Jets.

If the Jets tank the season and wind up with a top 5 pick, they will likely be able to tag Abe and use him in any kind of trade they like. Quite likely a trade up to the player they covet as a "Franchise" player. It is equally likely we wont even need to trade up.

Now any coach who really cares about the future of this franchise would not want to make the same mistake that was made with Lamont. We must find out now if Houston is a better then average back.

If Houston could get a few starts and do well then it gives us a completely different outlook on next years draft.

I love Bush, but would I draft him if Lamont was on the team????? Hell no!

So if Houston can be that kind of player we can go a completely different route.

All League
    I want Houston to get his carries and I agree that Martin has lost some of his explosiveness. But Iwant Curtiss in there when the are Blitzing the Heck out of Bolly. Backs never go to the Pro Bowl for picking up the Blitz, but Curtiss is outstanding picking up blitzers.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NEJetFromLI
    Well, the ONE carry this guy had (at least that I saw anyway) he looked dynamite. Herm, can we pleeeeeease get him a few more carries. I think Martin's great, but let's see what Houston's got. He looks very Jordanish, with more speed. Mind you, I'm judging that on ONE carry.
    He hasn't developed as a blocker (picking up bltizes) yet. Plus in a handful of carries in the preseason, he fumbled. The reason Martin continues to play is that he not only is a Hall of Fame RB, he's one of the best blockers for a RB and he almost never fumbles.

Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088
    He hasn't developed as a blocker (picking up bltizes) yet. Plus in a handful of carries in the preseason, he fumbled. The reason Martin continues to play is that he not only is a Hall of Fame RB, he's one of the best blockers for a RB and he almost never fumbles.
    Understood, and those are all good reasons to have Martin in their most of the time. We're now 2-6 however, I'd like to see this kid get a few more carries at least. Sounds like Martin's hurting as well. Bollinger's mobile, they should be able to do a few things (rollouts) when Houston is in there.