Thread: ``Obviously I only have one head so I have to be careful,''

All Pro

``Obviously I only have one head so I have to be careful,''

Does that sound like a quote from a guy who is doing great?..the quoted?one Brooks Bollinger in my Netscape

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

It's a dangerous job, bro. Might not be worth what he's getting.

All Pro
    He was probably asked a usual stupid question by one of the media reporters.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    He was probably asked a usual stupid question by one of the media reporters.
    Yeah you'd need to see the context of what it was said in response to before being able to critisize him for it.

For instance, if a reporter asked; "Are you worried about getting an anvil dropped on your head?"

"Well, that's always a concern of mine, but I have only one head so I do have to be careful."

Hall Of Fame
    yeah, well, Chad Pennington would never say anything so self-centered...

Its not your head anymore, Brooks. That head belongs to Woody.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader #51
    yeah, well, Chad Pennington would never say anything so self-centered...

Its not your head anymore, Brooks. That head belongs to Woody.
    I guess he needs to learn how to speak to the media because sometimes it's hard. You really have to be careful of what you say because the reply can be taken the wrong way or you might tick off another player or coach or even the fans.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets
    Does that sound like a quote from a guy who is doing great?..the quoted?one Brooks Bollinger in my Netscape
    he sounds like a pussay

All League
    I'd like to see the question...because that has potential to be a funny response.

All League
    Fact:

Concussions can permanently disable you. If you are injured sufficiently with a concussion you can have massive brain damage. Concussions ended my football playing days.

Fact:

Brooks is a person. Who's doing a job.

If you had a job and you suffered a massive concussion, would you not be at all concerned about it?

Think about his family, guys. Playing with our offensive line is analogous to driving a car without a seatbelt or windshield.

All Pro
    Kingsbury next in line for Jets
    In year of QB injuries, journeyman backs up Bollinger
    Posted: Thursday November 24, 2005 12:50PM; Updated: Thursday November 24, 2005 4:35PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- When Kliff Kingsbury signed with the New York Jets, he realized the only way he would get on the field would be in an emergency situation.

It happened last week, and it could happen again Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints. Yes, it has been that kind of season for the Jets.

Kingsbury was forced to play the final minute of a 27-0 loss to Denver after Brooks Bollinger and Vinny Testaverde got hurt. Though Bollinger sustained a concussion, he will start against the Saints. Kingsbury will be the backup, because Testaverde is hobbling with a sore calf and ankle.

"I was brought in just in case something like this happened, to go in and try to get a win in a dire-straight emergency situation," Kingsbury said. "That's the way I approached it and I'm going to go out there and play as hard as I can to try and get a win if they need me."

Kingsbury, on his fourth team in three years, was a slinger in college, heaving one pass after another out of the shotgun at Texas Tech. He threw for 12,429 yards and 95 touchdowns with the Red Raiders, leading New England to select him in the sixth round in 2003.

He bounced around to New Orleans and Denver, where he was on the practice squad for the first two weeks of the season. When Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler got hurt against Jacksonville in September, the Jets signed Testaverde but needed a No. 3 quarterback.

They worked out at least six players before settling on Kingsbury. The Jets never expected to use him, but they also never expected to be without Pennington and Fiedler.

In Denver, Kingsbury replaced Testaverde with 1:11 to play and coach Herman Edwards decided he wanted to see Kingsbury throw. Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger called two passes. Kingsbury threw incomplete on the first one and then tossed a 17-yarder to Dante Ridgeway on fourth-and-25. That effectively ended the game.

"I just wanted to see his demeanor," Edwards said. "He did a pretty good job, he was pretty comfortable."

Edwards also said it has been an adjustment for Kingsbury to line up under center. Kingsbury spent his last two seasons in the shotgun, but said his first two years in college he was under center so the transition wasn't a big deal.

Bollinger, who had several concussions at Wisconsin, said he feels much better and is prepared to play. He took most of the snaps in practice.

"Obviously I only have one head so I have to be careful," said Bollinger, who said he remembered the play in which he got hit but refused to discuss it.

Bollinger might not get many more chances to start. Fiedler is throwing the ball more each week, but Edwards said the veteran can't drop back and throw it yet. Nonetheless, when asked whether Fiedler might play next week, Edwards said, "He's been improving so we'll see. Hopefully he can get back."

As for Testaverde, it seems his career is effectively over. After signing off his couch to try and help his old team, the 42-year-old Testaverde has looked every bit his age. He has 12 turnovers and no touchdown passes, and would be hard pressed to get onto the field should anything happen to Bollinger or Kingsbury.

Edwards said it was tough watching Testaverde struggle.

"He felt he could help us, but then we had some offensive line issues," Edwards said. "Our protection is not as well as we'd like it to be. And you're behind, you're having to throw the ball. People know it. All those things contribute to him not being as successful as we'd like him to be.

"It's just hard. Vinny came in to help us. You hate to see it for any guy."