Thread: Jets Renegotiate Law Deal: Cap impact

Veteran

Jets Renegotiate Law Deal: Cap impact

Law of average

Jets pay penalty for mediocre Ty

Jets' Insider

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Ex-Patriot Ty Law has offset some big plays in initial Jet season with costly penalties.
    When the Jets signed Ty Law in August, they envisioned him as the final piece in their championship puzzle. Eleven games into a Jets career that almost certainly will be one-and-done, Law is the puzzle.

The former All-Pro cornerback is tied for fourth in the AFC with five interceptions, but he has offset those big plays with a team-high nine penalties. Because of his championship pedigree, Law commands respect in the locker room, but there are those who see him as nothing more than a hired gun, using the Jets as a brief stopover on his way to another free-agent score.

One thing is certain: Law's wallet is getting bigger.

Two weeks ago, the Jets quietly renegotiated his contract, giving him a $3 million signing bonus, according to sources. The move baffled some league insiders, but the Jets did it because they received some concessions that will help their salary cap in future years. It certainly didn't help this year; his cap number jumped from $2.9 million to $3.6 million.

Counting bonuses, Law will make $6 million this season, a huge amount for a player who has been less than advertised. "What's clear is that his skills have declined," one NFL scout said yesterday. "He looks heavier than ever before and he's not as athletic as he used to be. To compensate, he has to do a lot of holding and grabbing, which explains all the penalties."

Law is struggling with the crackdown on illegal contact - aka the Ty Law Rule. He has more penalty yardage (73) than interception-return yardage (50). He has committed three illegal-contact penalties, and the only player in the league with more is the Redskins' Walt Harris (four), according to STATS.

Saints WR Joe Horn, who faced the Jets Sunday night, said Law got away with his aggressive tactics in the past because "he was with the Patriots and they overlooked it." Horn, not ready to dump him into the has-been category, claimed Law is "a great corner. He's still on his way to Hawaii."

If Law makes his fifth Pro Bowl, it'll be a crime, according to our scout. This much we know: He's not going to the Super Bowl. His personal Super Bowl will occur Sunday in Foxboro, where he will face the Patriots in what promises to be an emotional game.

His surgically repaired left foot, which scared away many potential suitors, still is bothering him. According to Herm Edwards, Law aggravated his foot injury on the Saints' winning drive in the fourth quarter, causing him to miss the final three plays, including the 30-yard TD pass to Devery Henderson.

Law isn't a liability, but he's no longer an elite corner. According to STATS, he has allowed completions on 21 of the 33 passes thrown at him, a ratio that puts him 20th among 103 corners. Not bad, but not great. Law's renegotiated contract still includes that $11 million option bonus, payable next March. The Jets aren't going to pay that kind of dough to a 32-year-old corner; they may approach him about restructuring again. They realize he's not the Law of old but they believe he has value as a second-tier player at a premium position. Maybe, if the Jets' season had gone better, Law's presence would be more appreciated. Now he's like the rest of them, just a guy playing out the string.

Soph slump

FS Erik Coleman seems to be experiencing a sophomore jinx. Coleman, a surprise as a rookie, has been burned on three of the last four TD passes allowed by the Jets. Against the Saints, Coleman was caught out of position on the winning TD pass....It slipped under the radar, but the Jets committed a costly coaching mistake after Henderson scored to give the Saints a 20-19 lead. Clearly, the score called for a two-point conversion, but the Jets sent out their PAT-block unit. Upon noticing the Saints' offense hadn't left the field, the Jets had to burn a timeout to get their defense back out - a timeout they could've used on their final drive.

Johnson backs off Curtis rip

Jimmy Johnson has softened his stance on Curtis Martin - just a little, anyway.

The former coach, a Fox TV analyst, created a stir on Sunday by saying the Jets should hope to draft Southern Cal RB Reggie Bush "because Curtis Martin is done."

Yesterday, Johnson explained what he meant, saying Martin, 32, already has exceeded the average career expectancy for running backs.

"This is nothing negative toward Curtis. I just think his career is coming to an end," Johnson said in a phone interview. "He's a great player, and, probably in a limited role, he could still be productive. For years, he carried the team. I don't know if he can carry a team anymore.

"Everything I can say about Curtis Martin is going to be positive. This is what happens in the NFL. They start going down after so many years. I'm not saying it's completely over. I'm just saying he can't carry a team like he used to."

It's starting to look like the Jets won't get Bush. The Texans (1-10) appear to have a stranglehold on the top spot, and they would grab Bush. If the Jets (2-9) land the second pick, they'd have a monumental choice: QB Matt Leinart or trade down. Right now, they'd lean toward the latter.

The clipboard

Hot seat: DT Dewayne Robertson. It's hard to lose sight of a 315-pound man, but the former No.1 pick has been invisible in recent weeks.

X's and O's: Mike Heimerdinger found a comfort zone with QB Brooks Bollinger, using a clever game plan that enabled Bollinger to get the ball downfield.

Whispers: Even though Woody Johnson said Herm Edwards will return, there's still a buzz in league circles, people wondering if Edwards will leave after the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't want Law back.

All League
    me neither....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I didn't understand the piece about Law. Did we re-structure his deal so he can come back next year? Also, it hinted that the Jets may opt to trade down in this years draft. If they do, DeAngelo Williams has to be the guy we take in round 1.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRAGE
    Saints WR Joe Horn, who faced the Jets Sunday night, said Law got away with his aggressive tactics in the past because "he was with the Patriots and they overlooked it."
    Is anyone surprised by that comment? Not me.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    I didn't understand the piece about Law. Did we re-structure his deal so he can come back next year? Also, it hinted that the Jets may opt to trade down in this years draft. If they do, DeAngelo Williams has to be the guy we take in round 1.
    No, they didnt re-structure for him to come back next year..If you keep reading it says, Law's renegotiated contract still includes that $11 million option bonus, payable next March. The Jets aren't going to pay that kind of dough to a 32-year-old corner; they may approach him about restructuring again.

All Pro
    He'll probably sign with another team in our division and flourish there which is usually the JETS luck.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    Is anyone surprised by that comment? Not me.

wwwwaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Saints WR Joe Horn, who faced the Jets Sunday night, said Law got away with his aggressive tactics in the past because "he was with the Patriots and they overlooked it."

Yeah Joe, if it wasn't for that the Saints would have won the Super Bowl. What a tool.

All Pro
    So if I read this correctly, we gave him more money for doing less then expected? Gotta love those Joe Horn stabs too. He's always got something to say.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

What probably happened is that in this late stage of the season, the Jets finally had some excess cap room, and they moved some future money owed to Law into this year.

I thought the deadline to do that was some time ago (right when the Eagles re-signed Brian Westbrook), but it seems like the Jets got in before the deadline.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2

Yeah Joe, if it wasn't for that the Saints would have won the Super Bowl. What a tool.
    Truth hurts.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Truth hurts.
    Awww you going to cry too Piper??? Losers always cry about how it's not fair, winners go home and FU^& the prom Queen. 37 years of nothing and counting, but don't worry I'm sure next year is your year.

All League
    I don't understand. The team throws Ty Law under the bus (I truly belive this is an agenda-based article) but they restructure his deal so he gets more money this year - helping cap space - but I thought it was a one year deal he had already? Please explain.

Charter JI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2

It's over for you guys...we'll see who the criers are, or perhaps you will all disappear.

Hall Of Fame
    This entire article makes no sense to me.

At the time of the Law signing I was under the impression that the contract was essentially a ONE YEAR, ONE MILLION contract if the jets chose to cut him after the season.

I was also under the understanding that the cap impact of cutting him after the season would be ZERO.

So why all this now?

It makes me wonder if they are planning to keep Law for years to come???

All League
    .....Pats will not win the SB this year.....but it's not "over." They will be competitive for a long time. Plus - Pats fans have been to the mountain top. I suspect you were in diapers when the Jest were - that one time - long ago - under rather suspicious circumstances

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    It's over for you guys...we'll see who the criers are, or perhaps you will all disappear.

I didn't know Brady and B.B. were retiring, or that Bob Kraft was selling the team. Cry about it for another 37 years tool, and pray your top flight organization doesn't blow another top 5 pick. By the way how is D bust doing?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta
    Awww you going to cry too Piper??? Losers always cry about how it's not fair, winners go home and FU^& the prom Queen. 37 years of nothing and counting, but don't worry I'm sure next year is your year.

yeah well...............the patriots' days of finger banging miss mary jane rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are OVER!

Charter JI Member
    things seem a little fiesty in this thread