Thread: Question for GJ & H

Question about Reggie Bush

Ham - I know your opinion of R Bush's ability, but I wanted to get your opinion of the $$ vs the production. Bush will, in all likelihood receive one of the top 5 signing bonuses in the history of the NFL without ever setting foot on the field. I think the kid is a tremendous talent, I just wonder about sinking that kind of $$ into 1 player. Especially given that 1 player is totally unproven at the NFL level.

Bush's ability aside, the Jets could rebuild the entire Offensive Line with the $$ it would cost for Bush. Why not spend that $$ plugging the holes on the OL and DL rather than breaking the bank on 1 player - even if he is as good as advertised I am not sure he is worth that much $$.
    Last edited by primitive_skills; 12-02-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by primitive_skills

Ham - I know your opinion of R Bush's ability, but I wanted to get your opinion of the $$ vs the production. Bush will, in all likelihood receive one of the top 5 signing bonuses in the history of the NFL without ever setting foot on the field. I think the kid is a tremendous talent, I just wonder about sinking that kind of $$ into 1 player. Especially given that 1 player is totally unproven at the NFL level.

Bush's ability aside, the Jets could rebuild the entire Offensive Line with the $$ it would cost for Bush. Why not spend that $$ plugging the holes on the OL and DL rather than breaking the bank on 1 player - even if he is as good as advertised I am not sure he is worth that much $$.
    All draft picks are a risk to some degree, some more than others, but there's certain players who make "TAKING THAT RISK" a no-brainer because their talent looks like a Gift from GOD ... these types of prospects do not come around often, the ones who leave you in awe with their GOD Given ability, but when they do and if you have a chance to draft them there is only one choice to make, YOU HAVE TO DO IT because you can easily be passing on a first ballot HOF'er if everything breaks right {the talent is visable, it's only a matter of staying healthy and not getting side-tracked}

I've seen a few college RB's who fit that discription in my lifetime .. Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, off the top of my head .. when you have a chance to draft one, you have to do it because if you don't the odds are you will never stop kicking yourself in the @$$ .. You can't live with that lament when "YOU KNEW ALL ALONG" that he would become exactly what he became

If you didn't know it and passed, you can live with it ... but you can't live with the idea that "YOU KNEW IT ALL ALONG" and still took a pass

JMO
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 12-02-2005 at 04:53 PM.

I understand your view of his talent, but do you think that he warrants a bigger signing bonus and more $$ than LT - the best RB in the NFL?

Banned

I understand your view of his talent, but do you think that he warrants a bigger signing bonus and more $$ than LT - the best RB in the NFL?
    Whatever the market value is, you have to pay it to draft this player

Is it fair, to pay a college prospect that type of money?

NO, but someone is going to do it and it has to be YOU if you have first dibs on this player

That's the way the system is setup ... fair or not ... but you CANNOT pass on this type of "special talent" IMHO

Hall Of Fame
    He won't get a higher deal than LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    He won't get a higher deal than LT.
    Both Leinert and Bush will receive bigger signing bonuses than LT.

I am pretty sure that Alex Smith also received more in gauranteed $$ than LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Whatever the market value is, you have to pay it to draft this player

Is it fair, to pay a college prospect that type of money?

NO, but someone is going to do it and it has to be YOU if you have first dibs on this player

That's the way the system is setup ... fair or not ... but you CANNOT pass on this type of "special talent" IMHO
    I agree with you on the talent side, but I think the way the 'system' is structured today the Jets are better served using the $20M+ bonus to address the woeful OL, find a run stuffing DT, and a #1 receiver.

Even at his prime Barry Sanders won 0 superbowls. Marshall Faulk won 1, and that was with an MVP QB and 2 pro bowl receivers as well as the best OT in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I agree with you on the talent side, but I think the way the 'system' is structured today the Jets are better served using the $20M+ bonus to address the woeful OL, find a run stuffing DT, and a #1 receiver.

Even at his prime Barry Sanders won 0 superbowls. Marshall Faulk won 1, and that was with an MVP QB and 2 pro bowl receivers as well as the best OT in the NFL.
    The O-line can be addressed in Round 2 thru 6. If that is not enough (and I have said numerous time that in 2 to 6, the Jets should get at least THREE O-linemen), then the remaining holes can be plugged via affordable FA's.

However, the one hole that will not likely be fixed by next year is QB.

Undrafted Free Agent
    i don't even understand the point of the question. bush is really good. the better you are, the more money you get. nobody would be giving him a lot of money if he a) wasn't really good already and b) project to be really really good as a pro. you need green jets and ham to tell you that?