Thread: Buidling a Franchise 101

All League

Wink Buidling a Franchise 101

There are lots of great posts here. I have only seen one that talks both about Chad and the draft in addition to the cap situation as it pertains to building a legitimate franchise.

IF Chad was the only serious injury we had this year, would we be in the playoffs? I say no, but we would have been very competitive with say a 7-9 record, maybe even 8-8. The injuries we have exposed the truth of our team, were getting old fast.

No matter if we had the #1 overall pick; we need much more of an upgrade to change the outlook of our team. We have cap issues that can only be remedied by releasing players and taking a cap hit.

Understand fans that in addition to changing the players we also have to run a business and make it profitable. With all of the losses this year, like many a team who is the bottom 5% of the win lose column the Jets are losing money by not being competitive.

It’s apparent the first problem we must address as an organization is the QB spot. We have over 30 million invested in Chad over the next 6 years. Releasing Chad is just not financially astute, the cap charge we would take would prohibit us from making any other moves, so much so that even if we had Peyton or Brady we wouldn’t make the playoffs. I believe our offensive line needs a major overhaul. And we clearly need a replacement for Fergeson. We could use another starting CB as Law will probably be released for cap reasons.

So, what to do? First off adding a quality backup QB to battle Jay and Chad should be our FA #1 priority. The market is a little thin, but there are a number of teams that have cap issues, every year someone is let go that you wouldn’t normally think would be available. We have to address our cap issues so that when FA hits, we have some room to add a QB. Obviously adding a QB would mean we have to let someone go, unfortunately this is a business and so we would release Bollinger.

The draft is where our concentration should be at. With all the blue chip prospects that will be available this year I would suppose it would be hard to make a mistake. I’m not sure what order we would place as of yet, but if say we were picking 3rd overall, I would choose the LT B. Ferguson. While he instantly starts at the LT, he does something else. He offers us the ability to move players back to their natural position. Which almost eliminates our need to pick up another OL player. For depth purposes I would definitely add a player in the 3-4 round for the Guard or Tackle position.

While I’m sure many will say why not draft Bush, will from our prospective it would be hard not to, but since he will probably be gone by the first two picks this point is mute.
    While we picked up a true franchise LT, we are not done in the first round folks. It is with both sadness and promise that I announce that we have made a trade. We have traded our Franchised DE Abraham to the Atlanta Falcons for their #25th overall pick. With that pick we trade it to the Minnesota Vikings and our #3 4th round pick for the rights to Deangelo Williams, RB. While we feel we gave up a tight flight DE and a solid positional choice at the #3 4th round spot, we feel that Deangelo gives us a great addition at the RB position. The pick adds not only depth at the RB position, but it solidifies two major areas of need for the franchise for the next 10 years, LT and RB.

With Deangelo we feel teams will no be able to play us straight up, he is a playmaker who can score every time he has the ball. In the second round we select Babatunde Oshinowo DT Stanford. While he is a little known prospect he provides us with another solid NT we can pair up with DRob to stop the run, and press the pocket, at 6-2 320 we think he can provide us stability on the D-Line.

With the first of two 3rd round picks we select Jason Spitz, OG Louisville. He adds depth and competition at the RG spot. With the second of the 3rd round picks we pick James Wyche DE Syracuse. With he’s speed and athleticism we feel he makes our team just as fast with the subtraction of Abe. He has a high motor and is solid against injuries.

The rest of the round as you know are about getting the best player you can no matter the position. So I will leave the rest up to chance and luck.

This is what I think we Jets should do. Sorry this is so long

Banned
    Great post.

I think sometimes people forget a championship QB is very rare and hard to find.

Thats why we all loved Pennington so much. In the imortal words of Parcells, you can't just dial 1-800-quaterback and get a great one.

Banned
    This is the perfect extension to a thread i had before about how the Patriots built their team.

Thanx again

Veteran
    I think the best way to learn how to build a dynasty is to have Omar Minaya become the New GM for the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by prza
    I think the best way to learn how to build a dynasty is to have Omar Minaya become the New GM for the Jets.
    I love Omar but there is something called a Salary Cap in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Atlanta wouldn't trade for Abe, not with the salary he's going to have after we franchise him again. Obviously they're not looking to replace Patrick Kerney, and and when Brady Smith is healthy he is solid. Further, their 4th round rookie, Chauncey Davis, has actually been a pleasent surprise and has played decently since Smith went down. Atlanta would certainly not trade their first rounder for a situational pass rusher when they're not in dire need of one.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3
    I love Omar but there is something called a Salary Cap in the NFL.

I Know very true, but all Omar has done he hasn't really increased salary very much. They dropped a lot of money with Looper, Piazza, and Cameron. The Jets need to change GM's.