Thread: Nugent Speaks

Undrafted Free Agent

Nugent Speaks

This is an excerpt from Nuge's diary. For once, he actually discusses his shortcomings--and i like what he says.

As for kickoffs, I couldn’t have had a worse day. It was getting cold and I was telling myself that I had to drive the ball, but I got under both of them and hit them really short. The one before halftime really hurt us. I hit it short and gave them great field position. I think they started on their own 35-yard line, which is great starting field position. That was one thing that was one me: those three points that we gave up right before halftime. I need to hit a better ball. If I’d hit a better ball we would’ve pinned them inside the 25-yard line and they would’ve had 10 more yards to go. So I felt those three points were on me. In college you have guys running down the field really hard on kickoffs, but in the NFL it seems like everyone is so much faster. Even if I hit a good ball that maybe goes to the 1-yard line, but not with good hang-time, those guys are still getting down there and doing a great job. So you want a ball that’s somewhere in between decent hang-time and good distance.

In the off-season I’m going to lift weights to try to get a little bigger overall, to gain 10-15 pounds. I want to get stronger for better kickoffs—and to get an extra foot on that field goal miss at the end of the Saints game. I know that I can make that kick but I just hit it a little too high. I’m going to take a couple of weeks off after the season and then get right back into the weight room and work on getting my leg stronger and faster. The best exercises or weight lifting to do for kicking is kicking itself. Obviously, the more practice you get in the better you’re going to become, and, when lifting weights, focus on different areas—don’t just focus on quads or don’t just do squats. Do all kinds of different things and work on all of the muscles you can—abs, back, etc. However, you don’t want to bulk up too much or gain too much weight so that your leg gets slower. You’ll gain strength but you’ll lose distance if you have slower leg-speed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreat

In the off-season I’m going to lift weights to try to get a little bigger overall, to gain 10-15 pounds. I want to get stronger for better kickoffs.
    You'd think that after the Jets wasted a 2nd round pick on a friggn' kicker, that Nugent would have done all that LAST offseason.

Veteran
    I like it better when he reviews concerts!!! Who cares about him lifting weights..he is a kicker. I think we should put Bradaway on a tee and have Nugent kick him in the ***. That would be funny. The we can put Hern, and Dick Curl...let him kick all of them.

DJR44

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    You'd think that after the Jets wasted a 2nd round pick on a friggn' kicker, that Nugent would have done all that LAST offseason.

And your rookies have to decide on a career, football player or gangsta rap artist:

Rookie
    WoW! Nice to read a truthfull thought out, blameless post.

This Kid has shown more integrity in three months then Herm has shown in 5 years.

Imagine a NYJ actually holding himself acountable! Amazing!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by djr44
    I think we should put Bradaway on a tee and have Nugent kick him in the ***.

DJR44
    I absolutely love this idea. This is what he's essentially done to us as fans. What can we do to make this happen? I'd do anything to see it this weekend. It would at least make the trip out to the Meadowlands worthwhile.

All League
    I know Nugent will come around and become a great NFL kicker.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJet
    I know Nugent will come around and become a great NFL kicker.
    So do I. If he just gains a few pounds of Muscle like he says he will, then he could turn into a great kicker. Ever since we drafted Nuge I wanted him to pack on an extra few pounds. He looks like a freshman in HS.

All Pro
    All of us JET fans are still waiting for him to hit one for a touchback during kick-offs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    So do I. If he just gains a few pounds of Muscle like he says he will, then he could turn into a great kicker. Ever since we drafted Nuge I wanted him to pack on an extra few pounds. He looks like a freshman in HS.
    Vinatieri and Vanderjagt aren't muscular.

I think Nugent needs to exercise his will and determination for getting the job done regardless of field conditions and pressures.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHiJetMan
    Vinatieri and Vanderjagt aren't muscular.
    True, but they are definately bigger guys than Nugent.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    True, but they are definately bigger guys than Nugent.
    Mind over matter.

As a professional athlete, he SHOULD be in damn good shape already.

I don't disagree with getting stronger, but Vinatieri and Vanderjagt are mentally tough. I think they go on the field already knowing that the kick will go through the uprights.

That's what Nugent needs to get.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    All of us JET fans are still waiting for him to hit one for a touchback during kick-offs.
    You greedy bastid.

Nugent has ONE touchback this season

What the hell do you want?

All Pro
    You greedy bastid.

Nugent has ONE touchback this season

What the hell do you want?
    I'm definitely not greedy at all. I just want to see Nugent get more of those touchbacks because I want to see the the game played the right way by the JETS in this area of football. I'm not asking too much.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSFJFC
    I'm definitely not greedy at all. I just want to see Nugent get more of those touchbacks because I want to see the the game played the right way by the JETS in this area of football. I'm not asking too much.
    SF,

I was being a bit sarcastic there.

Undrafted Free Agent
    i give the guy credit. he's a rookie still learning the craft, is taking in all that is happening and is planning on addressing any faults he may have. as i said, it wasn't his fault he was drafted in the 2nd round. this is an admin error. they dumped a kicker because of one game and thought they were picking up a ready-made replacement. we all know that most rookies aren't ready made. i do think he needs to clear his head a bit though. from his very 1st kick in training camp (and missed) a lot of focus has been on him (a kicker)and this has all to do with the circumstances in which he got here. with his ability and perseverance, he'll become a great asset for the Jets.

All Pro
    SF,

I was being a bit sarcastic there.
    I guess I read it as if you were serious...Lol