Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Should the Jets Draft D 1st rd?

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,534

    Should the Jets Draft D 1st rd?

    I know a lot of you will think I'm nuts, but consider this scenario:

    We pick third. NO picks first, Hou picks second, and the picks ahead of us go Bush, D'Brickshaw.

    At that point, the player who could have the biggest impact on the jets, IMO, is Haloti Ngata. He's exactly what the defense needs - a mammoth, true NT who can get after the passer a bit, too. Adding him to the D does a couple of things that, IMO, put the D back into top 10 caliber: 1, it solidifies the middle of the DL, which cuts down on rushing yards, and 2 it gives Vilma the protection he needs to be his best. Adding Ngata would go a long way towards putting opposing teams in 2d and 3d and long situations, and would help our D get off the field much quicker than they have been able to this year.

    Yes, our O needs much more work than our D. But if Bush and D'Brickshaw are off the board, IMO no player makes the team better overall more than Ngata does, and there are no great fallbacks at NT. At OT, RB, and even QB on the other hand, the class is deep.

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    If we go defense in round 1, then i'd rather get A.J. Hawk or Jimmy Williams.

  3. #3
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    233
    If we go defense in round one I will convert to a giant's fan, we need offense!!!!

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    5,161
    If we go defense in round 1, Dinger will do a swan dive off the Empire State Building.

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,367
    Quote Originally Posted by DiePatsDie
    If we go defense in round one I will convert to a giant's fan, we need offense!!!!

    we need defense as well.


    if we're up at #3 and Leinhart is somehow still sitting there, we're in a golden position to trade down and grab Ngata. a mammoth run stuffing DT will completely revamp our defense next year.

    we do need to address our offense. primary, OT and OL depth in general. Assuming the Jets sign a QB vet as insurance/possible starter as Chad wont be ready, what we need on O is to solidify upfront. Our RBs are okay for next year - a combo of martin/blaylock/houston isn't horrible. Our WRs could use a playmaker.. dare i say T.O.? (not that i see that happening.. but maybe a speedster 3rd WR type would fit the bill) At TE the baker/jolley combination will probably be back.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,943
    our D is 12th in the league (i think) considering everything that has happened i'm alright with that...getting Barton back will be huge (still no one realizes how big a loss he was)

    no defense in rd. 1, even Bradway is smart enough to knwo that

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,144
    If the Jets pick 3rd, the best value might be on the defensive side of the ball. I'm assuming the 1st & 2nd pick go to Bush and D'brick. After that, who are the Jets going to take? Leinart? Unlikely. They could take A.J. Hawk, although it isn't a huge need.

    I think #3 is too high of a pick to use on DeAngelo Williams. The Jets may be forced to trade down, which isn't such a bad thing. With Leinart still on board, the Jets could hold some teams hostage and make out like bandits.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFutureGM
    If the Jets pick 3rd, the best value might be on the defensive side of the ball. I'm assuming the 1st & 2nd pick go to Bush and D'brick. After that, who are the Jets going to take? Leinart? Unlikely. They could take A.J. Hawk, although it isn't a huge need.

    I think #3 is too high of a pick to use on DeAngelo Williams. The Jets may be forced to trade down, which isn't such a bad thing. With Leinart still on board, the Jets could hold some teams hostage and make out like bandits.
    if we dont get Bush or D'Brick that is what we should do you're right. So sad when we worked so hard to earn such a high pick

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    if the Jets took Ngata at 3 it would be a great pick - A GREAT PICK

    people have to remember the BAP versus need phenomenon

    Portland Trailblazers knew Michael Jordan was a great player but they didn't NEED a shooting guard they needed a Center so they took Sam Bowie.

    Moral of the story? Always take the BAP and if Ngata is the BAP than so be it. 6'4" 340 pounders that run a 4.8 do NOT grow on trees.

  10. #10
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,323
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFutureGM
    With Leinart still on board, the Jets could hold some teams hostage and make out like bandits.
    I like it when you talk dirty!

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,534
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    if the Jets took Ngata at 3 it would be a great pick - A GREAT PICK

    people have to remember the BAP versus need phenomenon

    Portland Trailblazers knew Michael Jordan was a great player but they didn't NEED a shooting guard they needed a Center so they took Sam Bowie.

    Moral of the story? Always take the BAP and if Ngata is the BAP than so be it. 6'4" 340 pounders that run a 4.8 do NOT grow on trees.
    Not to mention, the jets actually do need Ngata (or some other NT). James Reed types cannot do the job of stuffing the run and protecting 51

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    fair lawn nj
    Posts
    1,039
    No..no more D in the first round. I don't think we should go D in the first 3 rounds this team desperately needs some offense. Jets do not even have one explosive player on offense. The closes thing we have to an explosive player on offense is Coles. No line no QB no RB Jets desperately need help on offense.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Not to mention, the jets actually do need Ngata (or some other NT). James Reed types cannot do the job of stuffing the run and protecting 51
    i love james Reed he's a player but by no stretch of the imagination should he ever be a NT, he looks like he's linbacker size can he play DE at all?

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,367
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it
    Not to mention, the jets actually do need Ngata (or some other NT). James Reed types cannot do the job of stuffing the run and protecting 51

    EXACTLY. the jets need a true DT more than anyone realizes. Ngata's presence alone will take a lot of pressure of d-rob, and give vilma freedom. James Reed has a nice motor, but he's not an every play guy.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,846
    We should take the best player available period no matter where he plays.

  16. #16
    sinixnick
    Guest
    Hey Guys I'm new to the board!

    If the Saints get the #1 pick, I dont think they will take Bush. This past off-season they just gave McAllister a TON of money to be thier guy.

    I feel the Texans will take Bush, but SHOULD take Brick.

    As for the Jets If Bricks there you gotta take him. Then try to get Bush's back up (I forget is name right now..I think it's Hall). I feel he can be a great RB. Kinda like how Preist Holmes was Ricky Williams backup in Texas.

    Glad to be here guys!

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan
    We should take the best player available period no matter where he plays.
    If BAP is a MLB, we pass. If BAP is a TE, we pass. If we resign Abe and BAP is a DE, we pass. If BAP is an OG, we pass.

    Other than that, I agree.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by sinixnick
    Hey Guys I'm new to the board!

    If the Saints get the #1 pick, I dont think they will take Bush. This past off-season they just gave McAllister a TON of money to be thier guy.

    I feel the Texans will take Bush, but SHOULD take Brick.

    As for the Jets If Bricks there you gotta take him. Then try to get Bush's back up (I forget is name right now..I think it's Hall). I feel he can be a great RB. Kinda like how Preist Holmes was Ricky Williams backup in Texas.

    Glad to be here guys!
    welcome, his name is LenDale White (and we won't be in a position to draft him if he declares this year unless we trade down)...you're right about Brick, we need him unless Bush is there.

  19. #19
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life
    No..no more D in the first round. I don't think we should go D in the first 3 rounds this team desperately needs some offense.
    obviously the Jets need offense - my point is that 3 offensive busts help the team less than 1 defensive starter/all-pro.

    Every year it's the same charade we all sit here and talk about who is going to be the next whatever (Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Randy Moss whatever)

    Some team like the Cardinals or the Lions takes em all and everyone praises them for such a great draft. No one remembers how many of these players bust and get drummed out of the league. No one traces the fact that these franchises still suck to their failed and failing draft picks. Hype is just that... Hype. It's a mathematical fact not every prospect will be a contributor, heck not even half of the drafted ones will be... but every year people think that going to the draft is like going to grocery store - just make a list, pickup what you need and go home. It never works that way.

    If the choice is between a 5 star DT and a 4 star QB why not take the better player? because they took defense already? so what defenses win championships. The Jets offense needs about a 5 year rebuilding project before they could carry the team. The defense is only 1 player away.
    Last edited by bitonti; 12-29-2005 at 04:20 PM.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJet
    welcome, his name is LenDale White (and we won't be in a position to draft him if he declares this year unless we trade down)...you're right about Brick, we need him unless Bush is there.
    If LenDale White declares, then he's our pick- THERE SHOULD BE NO DOUBT.

    The Jets need a tough, bruising Running back and LenDale White fits the bill. I'm not in love with DeAngelo Williams, especially if we're still picking 3rd. However, I think LenDale White will be a very good pro. If the Jets can trade down 6 or 8 slots, White has to be there boy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us