Thread: Deep Thoughts

All Pro

Deep Thoughts

Herm-KC Situation
    Why are we "scrambling" after not getting a phone call from KC last night? We're not the one's looking for a head coach. Herm has a great reputation around the league and with all the head coaching vacancies, he is/would be a hot commodity. Why are we "scrambling?" Forget the Chiefs. Play hardball. The Raiders will certainly come calling and because Davis like Herm, I'm sure we could AT LEAST get their 2nd round pick and another midrounder. Worst comes to worst, we keep a very good NFL Head Coach who we are paying peanuts. He is the face of this franchise and has been unfairly treated by Jets fans this year. With all the injuries to the team and with all the high priced, aging players, I was proud of how Herm rallied the troops and got them to play hard. Beforte last season, a season where I'd give Herm somewhat of a pass, he took this team to the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. I understand changes are needed but #1)Why are we so eager to "dump" Herm #2)Why "dump" Herm...why not Bradway?
    I certainly do understand Johnson being frustrated with Herm if it is true he is asking for more money/extension after a 4-12 season. But keep in mind what he did do with a healthy team and what other coaches we could get better than Herm at his price tag.
    Then again, my feelings would certainly be different if we actually did get a 1st rounder for Herm. Then I'd be in favor of course. Plus, with a new coach, their wouldn't be any of the coach-player loyalties Herm has with some of his players. With a new coach, CMART might actually have to win the RB job instead of it being handed to him because he's Curtis Martin. The Jets may re-think the Pennington situation. Herm wants Pennington to be the starter next year. Perhaps with a new coach, we may actually use our high pick to draft a Franchise QB or trade the pick for one rather than signing a has-been like Kerry Collins in a half-*** QB insurance attempt.
    Again, considering the compensation or lackthereof we would potentially be getting for Herm and considering the rumored replacement coaches like Haslett and Heimerdinger, I am not in favor of trading Herm AT THIS POINT. But I am in favor of playing some hard ball and telling the Chiefs "Hey, you want to short change us, fine. But there are for sure 3-4 other teams that will give a much better compensation package for the guy."
    But either way, I do believe its time to fire Terry Bradway. His ability to identify talent in the draft and his mismanaging of Johnson's money has crippled this franchise.

Rose Bowl Thoughts:
    -Vince Young was absolutely unbeliveale. I was never really a fan of Young until last nights game. But this guy is the ultimte competitor. The guy is so big and fast, that his is a nightmare to gameplan against. He has also came a long way throwing. He still has an awful delievery and his arm is only average, but he was very accurate in the short-intermediate routes and he does have great touch. I do think that he will enter, or atleast he should, and if so...the draft will get a whole lot interesting.

Draft Shakeup
    You can bet the Texans are going to be under intense pressure from their fan base to take the local college stud. And I do think they will take Young. But then it gets interesting...Saints need a QB and if Young isn't there, they'll probably take Leinart. Then the Titans would have the choice of Reggie Bush or D'Brickashaw Ferguson, and either way we win. Then again Bush could go #1, Young #2, and then the Titans chose b/w Chow's boy Leinart or the immediate need. Again, a win-win for us. We can either take D'Brick or trade down. Basically what I'm trying to say is that our pick become much more attractive to other teams. Before it was basically...
    1)Texans- Bush
    2)Saints- Leinart
    3)Titans-D'Brick
    But now with more than likely either the franchise QB, Heisman award winning safe pick in Leinart or the athletic, franchise LT on the board, I think we could get some more if we traded down considering how the question marks surrounding who would go next. The draft is unpredicatable, but if another top-end talent like Young's entered, the situation only gets better for the Jets.
    -ALSO: If Young entered, there is a greater possibility of Leinart falling into the Titans' spot. You can bet Chow would want his college QB in his system, and then, would Volek come cheaper to possible suitors like the Jets?? hmm

Some "Bowl Heroes"l:
    QB Vince Young...Texas
    TE David Thomas...Texas
    RB LenDale White...USC
    DE Stanley McClover...Auburn
    RB Joseph Addai...LSU
    RB DeAngelo WIlliams...Memphis
    WR Ted Ginn...Ohio State
    LB AJ Hawk...Ohio State
    RF Brian Calhoun...Wisconsin
    LB Steven Tulloch....NC State
    FB Brian Leonard...Rutgers

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think Terry May be Too close to and too much like, Carl Peterson

All Pro
    That may be true

TMahoney
    very astute observations GGI

Doesn't this whole situation speak volumes on Terry Bradway's prowess as a GM.

He won't give Herm an extension, tries to trade him, can't get enough back and now is stuck with a guy who knows that we don't want him anymore.

Now throw in the Bryan Thomas pick and the 64 million dollar deal to a QB with less than a full season under his belt and wow, Scott Layden doesn't look so bad.

All League
    There's nothing like a delusional Herm-defender. Some people out there are just uneducated.

Herm is a good coach.

That is, Herm is a good coach if you like 6-6 games in the 4th quarter running the ball on 3rd and long, completing 3 passes to your WRs all game, and screwing up clock management.

All Pro
    Well how great you feel about Herm when we name Haslett our next head coach. All Jet Fans are tough, ask any objective NFL guy in the know and they'll tell you Herm is a good coach.

And calling me uneducated, you're the one that thinkks Herm actually calls the offensive plays...

Hall Of Fame
    I just have no confidence in the jets org to do anything remotely that savvy, GGI. Its sad. really sad.

Caveat Emptor, Jets fans. Free choice.

All Pro
    Yeah- It's not that I WANT Herm to be back, I just don't want the Jets to screw it up so we might as well keep'im. Heh.