Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: foxsports new reports that it should be done by tomorrow

  1. #1
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    196

    foxsports new reports that it should be done by tomorrow

    NEW YORK (AP) - Herman Edwards could be coach of the Kansas City Chiefs by Friday.

    A person familiar with the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks, said the Jets and Chiefs were rapidly coming to a resolution on compensation for the coach. If the two sides agree, and the NFL approves the deal, Edwards could be out as Jets coach almost immediately.
    The Chiefs have to give up draft picks to hire Edwards because he is still under contract with the Jets. The biggest haggling point was the compensation.

    Kansas City wants to give up middle-round picks, but the Jets want something a little higher. The Chiefs surrendered a second- and a third-round pick when they hired Dick Vermeil, who was technically under contract with St. Louis even though he was retired.

    Earlier Thursday, all was quiet around the Jets complex, where Edwards put in another full day of work. The biggest news of the day to that point was the cancellation of a previously scheduled news conference with Edwards and general manager Terry Bradway, leading to speculation the coach was headed out the door.

    No reason was given for the cancellation, only that the news conference was postponed to a later date. One media report later in the day said Edwards resigned.

    "Coach Edwards would never quit - he did not resign," said his agent, Gary O'Hagan.

    When reached at home, Edwards' wife, Lia, said he was unavailable for comment.

    Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said Thursday the team hasn't asked for permission to talk to Edwards, who has close ties to the organization and general manager Carl Peterson.

    "Carl is not even in the same time zone with those people," Moore said. "He is somewhere else, on the road interviewing candidates."

    Peterson has already interviewed Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, and reportedly talked to Baltimore assistant Jim Fassel. But he may be doing that in case he cannot get Edwards, who has been linked to the Chiefs since speculation first started two months ago that Vermeil would retire.

    That only grew once Vermeil announced his retirement Monday. Though Edwards went 4-12 this season, he wanted a raise and contract extension to show the team's commitment to him through what could be a lengthy rebuilding process.

    O'Hagan has had no talks with the Jets about a contract extension. The idea that Edwards would ask for one after such a bad season may have rubbed some in the organization the wrong way, leaving them no choice but to let Edwards go.

    In five seasons with the Jets, Edwards compiled a 39-41 record with three playoff appearances. Last year, the Jets lost to Pittsburgh in the divisional round.

    The Jets are no strangers to compensation negotiations. In 1997, the Patriots got a first-, second-, third- and fourth-round pick for Bill Parcells. In 2000, the Jets got a first-, fourth- and seventh-round pick from the Patriots for Bill Belichick.

    Among those who might be considered for the Jets job are current offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, former Saints coach Jim Haslett, Saunders and Fassel. Henderson is scheduled to interview for the Saints job next week.


    i say good riddance.....he hasn't improved in 5 years in NY,he is not going to improve in KC.... i am sure the chiefs will be 8-8 next year.....my prediction without looking at their schedule

  2. #2
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    102
    As you know you never can tell this far in advance but....

    We have a Great schedule for herm Lined up if He is going to be coming this way


  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by lyons93
    The Jets are no strangers to compensation negotiations. In 1997, the Patriots got a first-, second-, third- and fourth-round pick for Bill Parcells. In 2000, the Jets got a first-, fourth- and seventh-round pick from the Patriots for Bill Belichick.

    I don't see anything new in this article, but the highlighted part emphasizes what comparative value is for teams attempting to take another teams CONTRACTED HC are.

  5. #5
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    I don't see anything new in this article, but the highlighted part emphasizes what comparative value is for teams attempting to take another teams CONTRACTED HC are.

    The Jets will Accept the Mid Round picks because Carl and Terry are too close and have been for a long time.


    Carl = Darth Sidious

    Terry= Count Duku

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    I gaurentee Herm takes them to the playoffs next year.

    I hate the majority of Jet fans.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Quote Originally Posted by lyons93
    i say good riddance.....he hasn't improved in 5 years in NY,he is not going to improve in KC.... i am sure the chiefs will be 8-8 next year.....my prediction without looking at their schedule
    Huh? We missed the playoffs 2 years in a row before Edwards got here. We haven't missed the playoffs 2 years in a row EVER SINCE he got here! We were one FG away from the AFC Championship game last year. I'm not sure how you can say he hasn't improved in 5 years in NY. Did you see the JV team we fielded all year? Can anyone EVER remember having lower-skilled combination at QB and RB on the field at the same time as Bollinger and Houston? Its okay to not like Herm or want him gone but his record is his record and it can't be disputed. If you want to include this 4 win season as if it were any other, go for it. And if you want to include the 6 win season when Penny broke his wrist and Hackett force-fed Vinny the WCO, be my guest. But those have been the ONLY 2 bad seasons Herm has ever had as a coach and both were without his starting QB.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Slag02
    The Jets will Accept the Mid Round picks because Carl and Terry are too close and have been for a long time.


    Carl = Darth Sidious

    Terry= Count Duku

    Then Woody should:

    1. Disapprove of the deal and sh*tcan it.

    2. Fire Bradway on the spot.

    3. Hire a real GM.

  9. #9
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    Then Woody should:

    1. Disapprove of the deal and sh*tcan it.

    2. Fire Bradway on the spot.

    3. Hire a real GM.

    So should Lamar but That aint happening

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    I don't see anything new in this article, but the highlighted part emphasizes what comparative value is for teams attempting to take another teams CONTRACTED HC are.
    Well it did mention that Saunders and Fassel were options. Personally i think Saunders would be a nice choice. Not to mention the kansas city connection goes 2 ways in this situation and Bradway probably knows saunders pretty well.

    I would feel alot more confident in getting a new head coach if the Jets job wasmore attractive at the time but with the salary cap situation and Penningtons status i'm afraid we will have to get one of the first time head coaches that are not a hot candidate right now.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    14,874
    Quote Originally Posted by lyons93
    When reached at home, Edwards' wife, Lia, said he was unavailable for comment.
    Poor guy. Can we get a Do Not Call List for coaches?

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Huh? We missed the playoffs 2 years in a row before Edwards got here. We haven't missed the playoffs 2 years in a row EVER SINCE he got here! We were one FG away from the AFC Championship game last year.

    Dude, we lost to Pitt in the playoffs last year because of Edwards. Everyone puts it all on Brien's shoulders but thats wrong, Brien deserves a lot of the blame but I seem to remember Edwards telling Pennington to kneel down twice and not try to move the ball further down the field to get in better FG range. Is that playing to win the game?
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-06-2006 at 12:44 AM.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,940
    Then Woody should:

    1. Disapprove of the deal and sh*tcan it.

    2. Fire Bradway on the spot.

    3. Hire a real GM.
    This is me applauding.

    Chief fans,

    You guys have went to the playoffs once with Dick Vermeil--What are you complaing about? You guys will be in the playoffs next year.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,138
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    Well it did mention that Saunders and Fassel were options. Personally i think Saunders would be a nice choice. Not to mention the kansas city connection goes 2 ways in this situation and Bradway probably knows saunders pretty well.

    I would feel alot more confident in getting a new head coach if the Jets job wasmore attractive at the time but with the salary cap situation and Penningtons status i'm afraid we will have to get one of the first time head coaches that are not a hot candidate right now.

    Please...if you were Saunders and you see YOUR TEAM, that you have been with FOR YEARS, considering trading DPs for another guy outside the organization to become HC over you...you would be clamoring for the job?

    Saunders will be elsewhere next year...and if he isn't he's a spineless moron anyway.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    Please...if you were Saunders and you see YOUR TEAM, that you have been with FOR YEARS, considering trading DPs for another guy outside the organization to become HC over you...you would be clamoring for the job?

    Saunders will be elsewhere next year...and if he isn't he's a spineless moron anyway.
    Maybe i read the article wrong but i thought it mentioned saunders and fassel for the Jets job. I'll look back over it again.

  16. #16
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes
    This is me applauding.

    Chief fans,

    You guys have went to the playoffs once with Dick Vermeil--What are you complaing about? You guys will be in the playoffs next year.

    we are worried that We are Hiring

    Dick Herm Edwards Shottenheimer

  17. #17
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81

    Saunders will be elsewhere next year...and if he isn't he's a spineless moron anyway.

    SEE: CHIEFS vs BILLS 2005

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,709
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa
    Maybe i read the article wrong but i thought it mentioned saunders and fassel for the Jets job. I'll look back over it again.
    This was from the artucle. It was mentioning Fassel and Saunders as options for the Jets not the Cheifs.
    Among those who might be considered for the Jets job are current offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger and defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, former Saints coach Jim Haslett, Saunders and Fassel. Henderson is scheduled to interview for the Saints job next week.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    central jersey
    Posts
    4,022
    Easy schedule for KC, Herm will do the same as he did in 2001 and that is lead another coaches team to the playoffs. He will lead Vermils squad into the playoffs but wont go far

  20. #20
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Olathe Kansas
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by thechadzone10
    Easy schedule for KC, Herm will do the same as he did in 2001 and that is lead another coaches team to the playoffs. He will lead Vermils squad into the playoffs but wont go far

    this is what I am afraid of

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us