Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Hating Belichick...

Undrafted Free Agent

On Hating Belichick...

I'm curious as to how many fellow Jets fans hate Bill Belichick - the person?

I was talking with Ham and he was saying how much he despised him and it got me to thinking. I hated him when he first left us, and I totally resent what happened and having to watch his success now, up close and personally. but...

I feel like that was a long time ago and I've moved on. I feel like what he did was more to get away from Parcells than the Jets, and I don't take it personally anymore. I hate that he left, but I don't hate him personally for it anymore. And obviously he must be a pretty good person to deal with day to day if he can get his players to play the way he does. I just don't want to waste my energy being wrapped up with jealousy anymore. I am reading a book right now about his life, trying to get some insight into such a central figure in the football world, and honestly, it's hard to hate the guy as I read about him. He just sounds like a very decent man.

So my question is, are most Jets Fans still just totally full of hatred for him as a person, or is that not necessarily the case? Do any of you respect/admire what he has been able to accomplish, or is it just to hard to watch objectively because of the what-if's involved? I never stop wondering about the what-if's, but I have to admit to myself that I'm being bitter when I find myself directing hatred and anger towards him. I mean he left, and that sucks, but that was 6 years ago! Do you think the Pats Fans still hate Parcells for leaving them to go to us? I"m betting most of them are over it, especially given their success. I'm thinking that it's like the curse of the Bambino, in order for us Jets Fans to exorcise the Demon of Belichick, and remove the curse over this franchise, we need to let it go. We need to stop the hating, and his power over us will be diminished. He's just a guy, that moved on to a different opportunity, and has reached the pinnicle of success - and it pisses us off! But honestly, does he really deserve to be totally hated forever more? I just don't have that kind of anger remaining towards him. I still have to fight the Jealousy, bigtime, but it is what it is, and I just have to give the guy credit for what he's been able to pull off in this salary cap era, and I just hope we can find someone who can pull off anything closely resembling it.

Just thought I'd ask - do you all still hate the guy completely?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

He's the coach of a division rival that has dominated the Jets in recent years -- of course I hate him

All League
    Hate is a word I would use for someone who did something devastating to my self or a member of my family. Greatly dislike is my choice of words.

All Pro
    I hate him for whipping on the JETS for the last few years, but I don't hate him personally, and never really did. I understood why he left the Jets, he wanted to go to a new place, and carve his own legacy. He didn't want to stay here, and live in Parcell's shadow, with Parcells up in the front office, looking down and overseeing everything he did. Plus, here, it was Big Bill and Little Bill, and if you were the Little Bill, would you want to put up with that crap?

But, professionally, I can't stand him. He's kicked our *** for the last 3 years, and I can't wait till we actually beat the Pats.

TMahoney
    I hate him for bailing.

I hate him for bailing then taking a division rival to the super bowl 3 times.

I hate him for bailing then taking a division rival to the super bowl 3 times and winning all 3.

Basically, I hate his guts but I respect him greatly. The guy is a football genius and his team is always cool under pressure just like him.

"Bill Belicheck, I hate you, but dammit, I respect you."

Jets Insider Legend
    Charter JI Member

He's a weasel and makes me sick, but hate is a tad strong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS FOR FUN

So my question is, are most Jets Fans still just totally full of hatred for him as a person, or is that not necessarily the case?

Do any of you respect/admire what he has been able to accomplish, or is it just to hard to watch objectively because of the what-if's involved?
    I actually do a pretty good job at separating the two

I view him as an All-Time Great Head Coach AND I hate him with a passion

Do I admire his accomplishments as a coach? ... BIGTIME

Do I respect and admire him as a man? ... I have more respect/admiration for a sewar rat

And it's not all jealousy either ... in fact, off the top of my head he's the only Great HC I can think of whom I DO NOT respect and admire as a MAN and as a COACH

Lombardi, Brown, Halas, Walsh, Landry, Noll, Gibbs ... almost every All-Timer you can name, I admire them {from what I know or have observed} as MEN and COACHES

Ditto Don Shula, who coached in our division for the arch-rival Miami Dolphins ... I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Don Shula as a man and as a coach

Now as a coach I rank BB with any of these men, and even ahead of most of them

But as a man I rank BB with the scum of the earth ... wherever the lowest form of scum can be found, there too shall I place BB

I think he's a lying, coniving, thieving, manipulative, selfish, narcassistic, macheavellian SOB from the word GO .. and those are his best traits

Other than that, he's Just Grand
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 01-11-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Veteran
    F-The Pats, all of 'em

Fans included

Yes, I hate Belichunks, and yes I hate Mangini

Now if Mangini bails, i'll love him just like I now love Johnny Damon

It's F-Boston for me...F-'em all

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

I think he's a lying, coniving, thieving, manipulative, selfish, narcassistic, macheavellian SOB from the word GO .. and those are his Good traits

As long as it works, I would be happy if he was my HC.

All League
    I hated when he left our team after one stinkin day.

I was pissed when he wound up on the Patriots.

I got even angrier when they won the Superbowl.

And again, and again.

Excellent football coach and I am jealous the Patriots have who should have been running our team... so yes, I hate him.

Undrafted Free Agent

the difference

see I get the hating on the level of football rivalry

we love our jets, we hate our competitors, especially our rivals,
    and extra special especially - we hate people who wrong our team.

but that's sort of confined to the fever and passion of loving the Jets and sunday's, and football rivalry. I expec most fans hate most of their division rivals in that way. I even see it being increased with the pats due to BB leaving us, and their damned success since.

I just think, 6 years later, as a person outside of football, I don't know, it just seems like we don't really have reason to, other then continuing to harbor resentment from when he left. I hate the Pats and Belichick because I hate losing to them. But, for me personally, I don't see why to hate the man personally, beyond the football rivalry.

My sense with those that do is, they either believe they saw sides to the man when he left us, that remain hidden usually to the public, and they haven't forgotten - they hold them personally to blame for actions that have happenbed still, or some people may just hate him because they hate as a matter of course, all that is Boston in our sports rivalries. I understand each. I just think the sports rivalry and the human beings are separate, and that BB doesn't really rate being hated as a human being, aside from sports.

Damn does it suck to lose to him though!

I'm wondering, for those who still hate him, if he is the MOST hated figure in sports today for you - I'm guessing he is, and I'm guessing that's because he keeps rubbing our noses in it, stirring up that hatered even further!

I'm with Jumbo - Hatred is a strong, strong word. I can't hate Belichick the man. I'm sick of him, and frustrated as hell by him, and he does nothing but remind us of ugly thoughts. But, that is on us. That is our emotions. HE isn't doing anythin but winning. Can't blame him for that.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DTrainBringinDaPain
    F-The Pats, all of 'em

Fans included

Yes, I hate Belichunks, and yes I hate Mangini

Now if Mangini bails, i'll love him just like I now love Johnny Damon

It's F-Boston for me...F-'em all
    I know I feel the same way.

I hate the RedSox but almost bought a new Damon jersey the other day just to shove it in their faces.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham

But as a man I rank BB with the scum of the earth ... wherever the lowest form of scum can be found, there too shall I place BB

I think he's a lying, coniving, thieving, manipulative, selfish, narcassistic, macheavellian SOB from the word GO .. and those are his best traits

Did you feel that way when he was part of the play that brought him and Parcells to the Jets? Is it just that he dumped the Jets? Or do you feel that both were equally despicable?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Jet fans need to pull out Websters and take a good look at the definition of the word "hate" and the word "envy".

Especially my good buddy Hammer.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Jet fans need to pull out Websters and take a good look at the definition of the word "hate" and the word "envy".

Go pull out Websters and look up "a$$" and "hole"

Combine the 2 and you get patsfantx.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I dislike Bill Belichick, but I do not hate him and I respect him because he has won three rings.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
    He's the coach of a division rival that has dominated the Jets in recent years -- of course I hate him
    I say we offer BB the job as HC and Assistant GM. Then we'd know for sure whether it was Parcells or whether we should hate him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX

It's not just envy.

He was our coach then left after a day.

Fans are going to hate a guy who does that.

All Pro
    [Ditto Don Shula, who coached in our division for the arch-rival Miami Dolphins ... I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Don Shula as a man and as a coach
    :[/QUOTE]

Shula is a piece of sh!t. He had to rely on cheating in 1982, was only respectable in the 80's and 90's due to Marino and has really shown what he was made of with his actions this year after the Colts lost a game. He is pure garbage.

Undrafted Free Agent

Talking um...

I guess football fan's emotions and passion run so strong that it's hard to decipher the difference of what is just the fan getting wound up about his team, and true, rational total hatred for a person, football aside.

on the purely football level, football makes you wanna beat the piss out of your opponent. But I think it alos makes us carry baggage after the fact that's unfair and not necessary.

but...

it is what it is