Thread: What would you do to restock the Jets??

JetsInsider.com Legend

What would you do to restock the Jets??

this is what I would do...

FREE AGENCY
    Restructure as many as possible of the following: Mawae, Martin, Coles, Chad, Drob, Ellis.

Cut Bollinger, Fabini, Law, Kendall. Let Goodwin, Gragg, Baker go UFA.

Franchise Abe, Resign Bryan Thomas. Keep Barrett.

Find some sort of decent backup QB option if possible (probably not - let's be honest we are apparently rolling the dice with Chad... again)

For the defensive line have to sign a fat FA like Sam Adams or Maake Kemoeatu, maybe some CB depth after cutting Law.

DRAFT:
    Use the first rounder on an ELITE OT such as DBrickashaw or Eric Winston - maybe McNeil or Justice - cut that scrub Fabini - stick with Adrian Jones at LT for 2006 - Morely/Cavka as possible RT starters for this year and work the rookies in where you can... Keep Kendall only if he restructures - long term the plan is flip Jones back to RT and put the 2006 draft pick on the blind side for the next decade.

NOTE - they can also use the pick on DT Haloti Ngata - would not complain with that pick whatsoever, he's a beast and would be a defensive super unit - (if that happens the Jets will be looking for high second round OT like Colledge, O'Callahan and Trueblood)

use the 2nd round on the BAP - best available player, regardless of position
    ...Could be RB like Calhoun, Norwood or any of the other 9 possible first day RB. It's not crazy to think someone like Moroney/White slips through the cracks to the high second.
    ...Could be a TE like Marcedes Lewis, Pope, Davis (one of the three should slip out of the first round)
    ...Could be an LB like Thomas Howard, Demeco Ryans, Bobby Carpenter or D'Qwell Jackson (they all can't be first rounders)
    ...Could be a CB Alan Zemaitis, Jason Allen, Charles Gordon or WR/CB like Will Blackmon or Devin Hester (if he runs that 4.2)

my point here is that the high second is a pick that doesn't have to be targeted by position, just look for borderline first rounders that slipped. It's really like an extra late first rounder.

depending on compensatory picks use one of the 3rd rounders on the developmental center - hopefully either Mangold, Degory or Eslinger are around, if not that's where you pick up underrated but good QB's to develop like Omar Jacobs, Charlie Whitehurst, Kellen Clemens - (Croyle? Gradowski? whoever they like best)

use some of those extra 4th round and 5th picks on 1 of the following big bruisers for the interior of the line

OG Fred Matua - USC (a quick monster who declares today)
    OG Mark Setterstrom - Minnesota (could be gone by then)
    OG Taitusi Lutui - USC
    OG Charles Spencer - Pitt
    OG Tony Palmer - Missouri (could be too early but will be very good)

use the other 4th and 5th on BAP to fill holes not filled by the 2nd round pick (LB, CB most likely) - i would look for KR/WR Jeremy Bloom here as well especially if he has a good Turino... it would be a marketing coup, plus he's actually a playmaker and brings speed to the offense. Could be a rich man's Jermaine Lewis.

use the other late round picks (if there are any left after Morely/Pete Hunter deals) on super deep WR sleepers like Marques Colston - Hofstra, Todd Bergeron AFL, etc. boom or bust guys that are relative unknowns but could be players.

getting guys like barton, mcclover, maddox back from injury could be a real boost. Play James Reed as a passing down DT or 3-4 DE.
    Last edited by bitonti; 01-14-2006 at 03:14 PM.

not bad but the offense would still be god-awful with Penny and Martin running the show. I'd really like to trade down a bit and take LenDale or D. Williams, then just stock up on O-Linemen

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanmack
    not bad but the offense would still be god-awful with Penny and Martin running the show. I'd really like to trade down a bit and take LenDale or D. Williams, then just stock up on O-Linemen

I can live with a backfield of Houston/Martin/Blaylock/less than first round RB ...if the OL is totally revamped - there are a ton of great RB prospects this year they don't have to take a first rounder there and still get value.

I think thats a pretty good strategy. I would cut both Barrett and Thomas though. I dont think they add much to the team. Thomas I only keep if Ellis or Abe are gone. I would also look at Grady Jackson to plug in next to Robertson.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti

FREE AGENCY
    Restructure as many as possible of the following: Mawae, Martin, Coles, Chad, Drob, Ellis.

Cut Bollinger, Fabini, Law, Kendall. Let Goodwin, Baker go UFA.

Resign Bryan Thomas. Keep Barrett. Find some sort of decent backup QB option if possible (probably not - let's be honest we are apparently rolling the dice with Chad... again)

For the defensive line try to sign a fat FA like Sam Adams or Maake Kemoeatu, maybe some CB depth after cutting Law.

DRAFT:
    Use the first rounder on an ELITE OT such as DBrickashaw or Eric Winston - maybe McNeil or Justice - cut that scrub Fabini - stick with Adrian Jones at LT for 2006 - Morely/Cavka as possible starters for this year and work the rookies in where you can... Keep Kendall only if he restructures - long term the plan is flip Jones back to RT and put the 2006 draft pick on the blind side for the next decade.

...Could be RB like Calhoun or any of the other 9 possible first day RB.
    ...Could be a TE like Marcedes Lewis, Pope, Davis (one of the three should slip out of the round)
    ...Could be an LB like Thomas Howard, Demeco Ryans, Bobby Carpenter or D'Qwell Jackson (they all can't be first rounders)
    ...Could be a CB Alan Zemaitis, Jason Allen or WR/CB like Will Blackmon or Devin Hester

my point here is that the high second is a pick that doesn't have to be targeted by position, just look for borderline first rounders that slipped. It's really like an extra late first rounder.

depending on compensatory picks use one of the 3rd rounders on the center if Mangold or Eslinger are around, if not that's where you pick up underrated but good QB's to develop like Omar Jacobs, Charlie Whitehurst, Kellen Clemens - (croyle? Gradowski? whoever they like best)

use some of those extra 4th round and 5th picks on 1 of the following big bruisers for the interior of the line

OG Taitusi Lutui - USC

use the other 4th and 5th on BAP to fill holes not filled by the 2nd round pick (LB, CB most likely) - i would look for KR/WR Jeremy Bloom here as well especially if he has a good Turino... it would be a marketing coup, plus he's a playmaker and brings speed to the offense.

if no Bloom use the other late round picks (if there are any left after Morely/Pete Hunter deals) on super deep WR sleepers like Marques Colston - Hofstra, Todd Bergeron AFL, etc. boom or bust guys that are relative unknowns but could be players.
    I think we have at least 10 picks

I would sign Maake Kemonteau, a stop gap FA CB ie mickens and Stephen Neal, Jon Kitna as reasoonable priced FAs. Trade down to get additional draft picks if not draft AJ hawk in 1, Mcneil in 2.
    draft S. Moss and use later round picks on sleeper olineman to groom ie Keith Broothe or Jabhri Evans. I think morley, cavka and nienhuis with another offseason is a plus to provide depth and competition. Also, snell and king going to europe is a good thing for lt depth too. Draft another CB in round 3 or 4 with extra comp picks. Lastly, draft a QB for long term grooming ie Hackney, whitehurst or check availability of Andrew Walter from Oak since he seems to fall out of favor

Hawk, ABE, Barton with Vilma and Kemonteau, B. thomas, S. Ellis and DROB in front is formidible.

Moss, Coles, Cotchery and McCariens are respectable with Ridgeway and williams for depth.

Barrett, miller, strait, FA CB and Drafted CB

Pennington, Kitna and Hackney-type

we are good to go and have depth at both lines, quality LBers, and addressed QB for short and Long term.

All Pro
    Bit,

I like it. ALOT.

If you were Gm of the Jets I would gaurentee half of our 10 picks would to to O-line.

And I love that, this is one of the deepest o-line classes. And especially if were going Zone blocking how long do you think it would take everyone to learn?

We need depth at the most important positions on this team. O-line and D-line.

Another thing is for sure after reading your post,

ATLEAST half of the second round is going to overflow with first round grade talent. Were in a good spot there, and if trading up means giving up the second round pick, I hope the Jets realize they are giving up a first round grade, not a second.

All League
    Franchise Abe.
    It might make sense to sign the team's most talented player long term.

Maybe with some of the moolah re-structured from the team's most over-rated and most injured, of late.

Veteran
    Not bad Bit...but here are a few I would change. If Leinert or Young is available i take them with our 1st, they are worth the chance, if they pan out they turn around the franchise much faster than a FA journeyman QB. Keep curtis IF he takes a huge paycut, definately use multiple picks on o-lineman....a great/above avg line makes an average RB look good. i am all for cutting the older guys you mentioned...we need to get younger and faster on both sides of the ball. alot of what we do will depend on the coach we hire....will they stress the power run game? vertical passing game? etc...who we hire as coach will dictate the direction we take. I really think we need some playmakers on offense and with the state of our current oline and running game I think Young would be a great pick for us....he can make some plays by himslef to keep us in the game. i think Leinert will be better in most systems that are balanced (run/pass) but Young will be better in an offense like ours where we have no playmakers.

TMahoney

FREE AGENCY

Cut Bollinger, Fabini, Law, Kendall. Let Goodwin, Gragg, Baker go UFA.

Franchise Abe, Resign Bryan Thomas. Keep Barrett.

Find some sort of decent backup QB option if possible (probably not - let's be honest we are apparently rolling the dice with Chad... again)

For the defensive line have to sign a fat FA like Sam Adams or Maake Kemoeatu, maybe some CB depth after cutting Law.

DRAFT:
    Use the first rounder on an ELITE OT such as DBrickashaw or Eric Winston - maybe McNeil or Justice - cut that scrub Fabini - stick with Adrian Jones at LT for 2006 - Morely/Cavka as possible RT starters for this year and work the rookies in where you can... Keep Kendall only if he restructures - long term the plan is flip Jones back to RT and put the 2006 draft pick on the blind side for the next decade.

NOTE - they can also use the pick on DT Haloti Ngata - would not complain with that pick whatsoever, he's a beast and would be a defensive super unit - (if that happens the Jets will be looking for high second round OT like Colledge, O'Callahan and Trueblood)

...Could be RB like Calhoun, Norwood or any of the other 9 possible first day RB. It's not crazy to think someone like Moroney/White slips through the cracks to the high second.
    ...Could be a TE like Marcedes Lewis, Pope, Davis (one of the three should slip out of the first round)
    ...Could be a CB Alan Zemaitis, Jason Allen, Charles Gordon or WR/CB like Will Blackmon or Devin Hester (if he runs that 4.2)

depending on compensatory picks use one of the 3rd rounders on the developmental center - hopefully either Mangold, Degory or Eslinger are around, if not that's where you pick up underrated but good QB's to develop like Omar Jacobs, Charlie Whitehurst, Kellen Clemens - (Croyle? Gradowski? whoever they like best)

OG Taitusi Lutui - USC

use the other 4th and 5th on BAP to fill holes not filled by the 2nd round pick (LB, CB most likely) - i would look for KR/WR Jeremy Bloom here as well especially if he has a good Turino... it would be a marketing coup, plus he's actually a playmaker and brings speed to the offense. Could be a rich man's Jermaine Lewis.

use the other late round picks (if there are any left after Morely/Pete Hunter deals) on super deep WR sleepers like Marques Colston - Hofstra, Todd Bergeron AFL, etc. boom or bust guys that are relative unknowns but could be players.

getting guys like barton, mcclover, maddox back from injury could be a real boost. Play James Reed as a passing down DT or 3-4 DE.
    I like it. I want the big boy Ngata clogging up the middle and making our defense from good to great.

We could finish the defense this year in the draft. Sign a guy like Ephraim Salamm a FA tackle from the Jaguars who excelles at run blocking and run the ball with all three of our backs and play great defense.

Banned
    Get rid of David Barret for crying out loud. i feel like i'm the only one that saw him get burned on every play. The only picks he had were from deflections that god gave him. Draft another fast CB that can compliment Miller in the future and bring in a another decorated veteran. I would love to try and keep Ty Law, he can do some real damage, i'd give him the 10 million. Pennington oh God i'd rather have my throat cut while eating sugar froasted razorblades than have him back at the helm. i want a quaterback with a rocket arm not an amputee. Curtis has to stay to train Lendale White to be a disgusting back. Blaylock is damaged goods and houston can backup White. See what Olineman are available in free agency or pick up the next best ones in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    I like that strategy but the Jets have to get a reasonable alternative to Pennington. Ideal would be a guy like Volek, Pennington and a young promising draft pick.

I would not be opposed to trade down to the late teens or early 20's if we could find a dance partner and end up with 3 picks in the top 51 or so rather than 2 (We'd also get other picks later in the draft or next year for moving down.)
    Assuming we traded down to 19 we would have the 19th, 32nd and 51st picks. Definately taking an OT, one of the running backs that drop to the 2nd round and then BAP with the the 2nd 2nd rounder. Perhaps a guard or even a QB if a guy like Jacobs was still there.

As you suggested in the 3rd round look for the best guard available. A real key for how things shake down is getting that FA run stuffing OT. If they manage to sign one it opens up more possibilites for the Jets. If they don't sign one then they have to use a high pick on one, perhaps even reaching for one.