Thread: How did Magini get his "break"

All League

How did Magini get his "break"

The guy is so young, who did he know to get his foot in the door in the NFL,

anyone know?

All League
    He played football at Weslyan, and was a fraternity brother of Bellichick. Bellichick gave him his first job with the Browns I believe when he was HC.

Veteran
    yea i read he was like the towel guy or an intern somEwhere w/ belly...

All League
    Great hire by the Jets, IMO. However, Jets fans, you must be patient. It will take a little while for Mangini to implement his style, philosophy and vision. I hear that Bob Ryan may be the Jets next DC - this is a good thing. They know each other well and are huge beleivers in the 3-4. I am curiuos to see who the OC is. Mangini is cut from the BB cloth. You will see him make some hard personnel decisions this off-season. He will start cleaning up the cap mess immediately.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanza
    Great hire by the Jets, IMO. However, Jets fans, you must be patient. It will take a little while for Mangini to implement his style, philosophy and vision. I hear that Bob Ryan may be the Jets next DC - this is a good thing. They know each other well and are huge beleivers in the 3-4. I am curiuos to see who the OC is. Mangini is cut from the BB cloth. You will see him make some hard personnel decisions this off-season. He will start cleaning up the cap mess immediately.
    Okay here is where I'm a bit foggy personell wise for the 3-4, I take it the Pats must play that defense. They have a wide (and I do mean wide) body playing the nose in Wilfork correct? Does he come out in passing downs? I thought Seymour was in essence a true DT where does he play when Wilfork is at the nose?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81
    He played football at Weslyan, and was a fraternity brother of Bellichick. Bellichick gave him his first job with the Browns I believe when he was HC.

So in other words, He has been Bellichick's Beer b.itch his whole life... I wonder if Mags can piss on his own yet. I guess we are about to find out.

All League
    Seymour, Wilfork, Warren - Line
    Colvin, Bruschi, Vrable, McGinest - LB's.

Thing is - Mangini learned from the Defensive guru - you will see some crazy alignments in the next couple of years: 2 down linemen, one, none.....you'll see. It should be a lot of fun in the AFC East for years to come. A virtual whos-who of the Belichick coaching tree. Mangini in NY, Saban in Miami - who is the Bills coach? LOL

BTW - I can almost guarantee that the waste of space that is Dan Klecko, will be cut this year. Mangini will scoop him up. I just see that happening. Sorry to disappoint you though - although he has fire and spirit, he's not even close to the talent his daddy was.
    Last edited by Garbanza; 01-17-2006 at 10:55 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    Okay here is where I'm a bit foggy personell wise for the 3-4, I take it the Pats must play that defense. They have a wide (and I do mean wide) body playing the nose in Wilfork correct? Does he come out in passing downs? I thought Seymour was in essence a true DT where does he play when Wilfork is at the nose?
    The pats don't play a 3-4 exclusively, in fact the it's only a about 60 percent of the defensive snaps. When they switch to a 4-3 Seymour moves inside with Wilfork and Green comes in at end with Warren on the other side, also they use another variation of the 3-4 that has Mcginst lining up a end, but this allows them to disguise the front because sometimes they'll play it a true 4-3 and other times he'll drop off before the snap into the OLB position and bang it's a 3-4. The PAts personel allows them to make these kinds of moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish
    The Pats don't have to play in 3-4, they like to.

Actually they mix it up alot between the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the situation.

They also mix it up alot with other defenses too. Often going with nickle and dime packages more often than conventional against pass happy teams like the Rams and Colts. I've seen them go with only 2 down linemen quite a few times.

It is why it is so difficult for teams to gameplan against them, and for QBs to get an accurate read on coverages. I can remember seeing Wilfork drop back into zone coverage on one play against the Broncos.

The Pats rotate their DL alot. Wilfork usually is on the sidelines for obvious passing downs, but brings a pretty good passrush so its not a given.

Seymore is used at right DE when Wilfork is at nose in the 3-4......

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS
    So in other words, He has been Bellichick's Beer b.itch his whole life... I wonder if Mags can piss on his own yet. I guess we are about to find out.

Yeah, I'm sure Bellichick made Mangini his DC last year just to showcase him for the NYJ to hire as HC, even though he knows jacksh*t about football. I'm sure if he was incompetent and just a friend of BB he might be on his staff as a waterboy.

Gimme a break....the guy has been around for over a decade in the NFL.

So he got his 'start' through a friend. Big deal. There is no need to call him BB 'beer *****'.

And as far as being with BB only...let me guess...you don't own a business do you?

Faithful and competent friends and associates you usually try and keep around.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingElvis
    The Pats don't have to play in 3-4, they like to.

Actually they mix it up alot between the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on the situation.

They also mix it up alot with other defenses too. Often going with nickle and dime packages more often than conventional against pass happy teams like the Rams and Colts. I've seen them go with only 2 down linemen quite a few times.

It is why it is so difficult for teams to gameplan against them, and for QBs to get an accurate read on coverages. I can remember seeing Wilfork drop back into zone coverage on one play against the Broncos.

The Pats rotate their DL alot. Wilfork usually is on the sidelines for obvious passing downs, but brings a pretty good passrush so its not a given.

Seymore is used at right DE when Wilfork is at nose in the 3-4......
    I think we'll actually see something similar to this implemented by Mangini with the Jets. Obviously priorty #1 for the defense is a NT and once that is addressed, the Jets really do have the pieces to switch between 3-4 and 4-3. The 4-3 setup is obvious, since it would be the same as this year, with a NT plugged in there. The 3-4 on the other hand wouldn't be as difficult as some think for the Jets. Ellis can play 3-4 end and Robertson would move out to end on the other side (Thomas can also play 3-4 end). You move Abraham back to OLB and Hobson moves inside with Vilma. It may not be the perfect setup but for the time being sounds like a pretty effective setup as long as we get a big NT who can really clog things up and work in the 4-3 and 3-4.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    So he got his 'start' through a friend. Big deal. There is no need to call him BB 'beer *****'.
    Besides it wasnt beer it was coffee. Now Pepper Johnson is sitting at home repeating the words... "black with 2 sugars, black with 2 sugars..."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green
    I think we'll actually see something similar to this implemented by Mangini with the Jets. Obviously priorty #1 for the defense is a NT and once that is addressed, the Jets really do have the pieces to switch between 3-4 and 4-3. The 4-3 setup is obvious, since it would be the same as this year, with a NT plugged in there. The 3-4 on the other hand wouldn't be as difficult as some think for the Jets. Ellis can play 3-4 end and Robertson would move out to end on the other side (Thomas can also play 3-4 end). You move Abraham back to OLB and Hobson moves inside with Vilma. It may not be the perfect setup but for the time being sounds like a pretty effective setup as long as we get a big NT who can really clog things up and work in the 4-3 and 3-4.

I've thought that too, but...

Mangini's gonna want to revamp the roster, and since Abraham is listed as 'DE' he commands 'DE' money and with our roster needs and what he is gonna cost to play a hybrid DE/OLB I can see the Jets moving JAbe.

It's gonna get interesting around here.

All League
    Yeah, I'm sure Bellichick made Mangini his DC last year just to showcase him for the NYJ to hire as HC, even though he knows jacksh*t about football. I'm sure if he was incompetent and just a friend of BB he might be on his staff as a waterboy.

Gimme a break....the guy has been around for over a decade in the NFL.

And as far as being with BB only...let me guess...you don't own a business do you?

Faithful and competent friends and associates you usually try and keep around.

I was being sarcastic Regarding Mags being Belli's Beer Bit##, no need for you to get so defensive..

My point is, How can you be so confidenti in someone who has not stood on his own 2 feet ever? Im not saying I dislike the move, but I sure as hell dont think it was the safest of moves.

The Jets did put on a good show interviewing 8 candidates, even though their mind was up before interviewing the first candidate.

Lets see what happens. Young coaches have a good history in the NFL.

P.S Take a Valuim
    Last edited by LETSGOJETS; 01-17-2006 at 12:49 PM.