Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Allen vs. Woody Johnson

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Paul Allen vs. Woody Johnson

Two billionaires. One who gets it, one who doesn't.

Allen builds a great home field for his team from his own pocket. Hires great football people to run his team and gives them time to succeed. Reward, a great home field advantage and a Superbowl.

Woody? Well, you know.

Was I the only one cringing with jealosy as the NFC championship trophy was given to Holmgren and Allen?

I realize that Allen is worth 20BB and Woody is worth maybe a quarter of that, but when you hit the billionaire status, what's the difference?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER

Allen builds a great home field for his team from his own pocket. Hires great football people to run his team and gives them time to succeed. Reward, a great home field advantage and a Superbowl.

Woody? Well, you know.

Was I the only one cringing with jealosy as the NFC championship trophy was given to Holmgren and Allen?

I realize that Allen is worth 20BB and Woody is worth maybe a quarter of that, but when you hit the billionaire status, what's the difference?
    i had started a thread about Woody's cheapness coming into play with the Mangini contract, seems you are on teh same wavelength Sean

I'd like to see your comments on taht other thread as well

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green
    i had started a thread about Woody's cheapness coming into play with the Mangini contract, seems you are on teh same wavelength Sean

I'd like to see your comments on taht other thread as well
    So you don't want Mangini as head coach?

As for this situation, somethng tells me if the Seahawks played anywhere near civilization, he Allen wouldn't have been as patient.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    So you don't want Mangini as head coach?
    why do you ask?

All League
    i'll give you the point about homefield but the jets under Woody have been alot more successful on the field than Seattle has under Allen until this year. is it Woody's fault Seattle plays in a division where the 2nd place team had 6 wins? Is it Woody's fault Seattle also plays in a weak conference? Again, I buy the homefield thing as Woody should have built us a new Stadium on our own but the other stuff is just whining after the fact.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

why do you ask?
    Because since he was willing to leave the reative comfort of being the DC in NE for being the Jets HC, then he must have deemed it to be a fair contract, especially in light of the hard work he will have in improving this team.

So you point in saying that Johnson was cheap in this situation must be that he should have spent more $ to get a different HC.

Who did you want?

Charter JI Member
    Honestly I don't know who is more to blame for the stadium fandango, Cross or Woody. Woody is being led around by a man he has instilled his faith and wallet in, that was his bad decision and it will haunt this franchise for the remainder of my life.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    i'll give you the point about homefield but the jets under Woody have been alot more successful on the field than Seattle has under Allen until this year. is it Woody's fault Seattle plays in a division where the 2nd place team had 6 wins? Is it Woody's fault Seattle also plays in a weak conference? Again, I buy the homefield thing as Woody should have built us a new Stadium on our own but the other stuff is just whining after the fact.

no but it may be woody's fault that he has surrounded himself with non football minds such as team president jay cross et al...

All League
    no but it may be woody's fault that he has surrounded himself with non football minds such as team president jay cross et al...
    jay cross is not making football decisions, he ahs competent people making those decisions. cross was brought in for the WSS and failed, I have no clue why he still has a job w/in the organization.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Because since he was willing to leave the reative comfort of being the DC in NE for being the Jets HC, then he must have deemed it to be a fair contract, especially in light of the hard work he will have in improving this team.

So you point in saying that Johnson was cheap in this situation must be that he should have spent more $ to get a different HC.

Who did you want?
    i wanted mangini but i find it troubling that woody has a recent history in which he has looked like a cheap prick and I hope that these are isolated incidents rather than a trend on his behalf that will negatively impact the future success of the team down the road....

this has nothing to do with the contract solely

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    jay cross is not making football decisions, he ahs competent people making those decisions. cross was brought in for the WSS and failed, I have no clue why he still has a job w/in the organization.

he is the only team president in the NFL without football experience every other team president is involved with football decisions...i have no idea why he was ever named president

and who are the competent people making his football decisions...Bradway and tannenbaum???

tanny has a history in the league but it appears that Bradway is the top of the totem poll and that is scary

All League
    i wanted mangini but i find it troubling that woody has a recent history in which he has looked like a cheap prick and I hope that these are isolated incidents rather than a trend on his behalf that will negatively impact the future success of the team down the road....

this has nothing to do with the contract solely
    this 'cheap" label starts spreading and I think it's unfair. B/c he wouldn't give herm a raise after a 4-12 season? this after giving him one after a 6-10 season 2 years ago. He refurbished the practice facility, built a mil $ locker room at the Meadowlands, had the highest payroll in the NFL a few years ago after handing out 10s of millions in signing bonuses to a few players. He is not a cheap owner. Let's also not forget he signed off on Dinger coming here and that was alot of money for an OC at the time. He's not cheap.

All League
    he is the only team president in the NFL without football experience every other team president is involved with football decisions...i have no idea why he was ever named president

and who are the competent people making his football decisions...Bradway and tannenbaum???

tanny has a history in the league but it appears that Bradway is the top of the totem poll and that is scary
    Check the jets hierarchy and you'll notice that alot of people have the title of "president or VP". Cross has nothing to do w/ football ops.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin
    Honestly I don't know who is more to blame for the stadium fandango, Cross or Woody. Woody is being led around by a man he has instilled his faith and wallet in, that was his bad decision and it will haunt this franchise for the remainder of my life.
    Who works for who? If you say that Woody is being blindly led around by an employee then Woody is more of an incompetent than I thought.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

My post wasn't necessarily saying that Woody is cheap. It was more on the line of two billionaires with no football experience buying a team. One who did it right and one who didn't.

Hall Of Fame
    My post wasn't necessarily saying that Woody is cheap. It was more on the line of two billionaires with no football experience buying a team. One who did it right and one who didn't.

gotcha, not cheap just made bad decisions and went about his business incompetantly

Waterboy

Woody? Well, you know.

So you are saying that 80,000 Jets fans won't be nearly as loud in a new meadowlands stadium as opposed to one in Queens?

Cross was hired for one and one thing only the W/S stadium. Woody is either too stupid to fire him or embarassed after spending $70M of Woody's money. Since Cross has failed the reason he's still team president is beyond me.

All League
    Paul Allen all of a sudden gets it b/c they are in the SB? what about the previous decade where they didn't even win a playoff game? and put Woody's Jets teams in that pathetic div and conf and we'd see a SB too. it's just not fair to all of a sudden praise Allen who has been an owner longer and had no success until this year.

All Pro
    You're right on the money here Sooth (no pun intended).