Thread: OT: James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces"

Arrow OT: James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces"

I read James Frey's supposive memoir "A Million Little Pieces." I must say, if anyone has any sort of addiction or had one in the past.. this book is a must read. I know Oprah is all over James Frey and he has admitted the book is fabricated with some of it's characters and settings, but the over all message and feeling that you get after reading the book is truly inspiring. In my opinion the book is very well written and I don't care whether or not it should be labeled a memoir. I feel bad for the way James was questioned on Oprah's show.. Sort of like your mom yelling at you... And it seemed to me Oprah was more concerned about the integrity of her book club then anything else. Who cares if James fabricated some of the points in his book.. A memoir is written from "the author's memory, and point of view." His message definitely hits home and thats what should be talked about most, especially if it changes another persons life.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by AL My Favorite Toon
    I read James Frey's supposive memoir "A Million Little Pieces." I must say, if anyone has any sort of addiction or had one in the past.. this book is a must read. I know Oprah is all over James Frey and he has admitted the book is fabricated with some of it's characters and settings, but the over all message and feeling that you get after reading the book is truly inspiring. In my opinion the book is very well written and I don't care whether or not it should be labeled a memoir. I feel bad for the way James was questioned on Oprah's show.. Sort of like your mom yelling at you... And it seemed to me Oprah was more concerned about the integrity of her book club then anything else. Who cares if James fabricated some of the points in his book.. A memoir is written from "the author's memory, and point of view." His message definitely hits home and thats what should be talked about most, especially if it changes another persons life.
    ALL memoirs are lies. Read some Hayden White people!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

My wife read the book and she said it was an awesome read. She also said the fact that some parts were exaggerated didn't change the love of the book. Seems like the thing is a little blown out of proportion.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    OK, is this really an Oprah Book Club thread?

Veteran
    gayest....thread....ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al NYC
    gayest....thread....ever.
    Intelligent remark.. Read the book before you judge.

All League
    He... utterly fabricated nearly all of the events in the book. He claimed he did things that DID NOT happen.

I can't understand how people, knowing this, can't still feel inspired by this load of rubbish.

Do keep in mind that I read the book AFTER I found out about the allegations - this could have colored my perceptions. Usually though I'm pretty good at filtering out my prior perceptions when judging a book or other work.

But no - the very fact is that this man wrote fiction and it blew up because he claimed it was truth.

*cough*DaVinci Code*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by The Paranoid Jet
    He... utterly fabricated nearly all of the events in the book. He claimed he did things that DID NOT happen.

I can't understand how people, knowing this, can't still feel inspired by this load of rubbish.

Do keep in mind that I read the book AFTER I found out about the allegations - this could have colored my perceptions. Usually though I'm pretty good at filtering out my prior perceptions when judging a book or other work.

But no - the very fact is that this man wrote fiction and it blew up because he claimed it was truth.

*cough*DaVinci Code*cough*
    I read it before the allegations so it had a profound effect on me.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AL My Favorite Toon
    I read it before the allegations so it had a profound effect on me.
    Ask yourself how profoundly you'd have been effected if you had bought it in the fiction section where it belonged.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by regen
    Ask yourself how profoundly you'd have been effected if you had bought it in the fiction section where it belonged.
    That's sort of my point. I mean, Al, if it inspired you that's fantastic and if it got you to read well, that's great too - but this book made a splash when it was no different from any other fiction.

As an aspiring author, books like this make me feel totally powerless.