Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Schaub Available for a 2nd?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Matt Schaub Available for a 2nd?

He is according to the Dayton Daily News:

The Atlanta Falcons are willing to part with backup QB Matt Schaub for a second-round pick. If the Bengals choose not to re-sign free agent Jon Kitna, Schaub could emerge as a candidate to bridge the gap until Carson Palmer's return from a left knee injury.

All League
    I'D do it....

Charter JI Member
    Anyone have a bad Feeley about this?

Veteran
    I'd do this trade too. If I trade for Shaub, I trade down from 4 and accumulate as many extra picks as possible to make up for that second rounder we'd be parting with.

I'd actually want to trade down to the 8-12 range and nab LenDale White. Then rounds 2-7 I build our o-line up. All of a sudden our offense doesn't look so bad.

All League
    I don't Mc'CARE'ins for this idea.

Banned
    We're already discussing this on the Draft board. But I'll post the same question here:

Does anyone think we can trade our first and third for Schaub and Atlanta's first?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx
    We're already discussing this on the Draft board. But I'll post the same question here:

Does anyone think we can trade our first and third for Schaub and Atlanta's first?
    Could we? Yes.

Should we? NO! Trading down from our first round pick to Atlanta's first round pick would warrant a second round pick in compensation itself, so it would be like trading a second and a third round pick for Schaub which is pointless since its more then they are even asking for.

I offer Atlanta our 3rd rounder (which is basically like a late 2 anyway) and thats it.

Hall Of Fame

Question Schaub/QB : for a 2nd rounder ? ? ~ ~ ~

pls delete. dupl. post

Banned
    id do it for a 3rd, a 2nd? don't think so right now, our 2nd is too high...

Practice Squad
    If Schaub is available for our #2 this year we do it, no questions asked. I'm shocked the Falcons are willing to move their insurance behind Vick at all. I went to Lynchburg in Virginia and had the pleasure of watching Micheal Vick play almost every weekend in college and in my senior year got to see Schaub play a couple times, I think he was a freshman and since then when I see him play he produces without hurting his team. Doesn't make stupid mistakes has a good arm, and obviously can play in the league, you guys saw what he did when he was in there. This would totally let us still trade down from #4 and pick up one of the big Tackles and maybe get Mawae a stud understudy with our next pick. Plus it will be Schaub's third year in the pro's, which means he is still young. In my opinion we should def do this!!
    Last edited by THE BURG22; 01-30-2006 at 03:22 PM.

Veteran
    IMO, this is bogus. Can't see Atlanta letting go of him under any circumstances.

That said. I'd be very interested for a 2nd round pick. this guy is a legit NFL QB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I like Schaub alot, I think he has the requisite skills and brains to be a very solid, top 10 NFL QB. And he's already put in his "Chad Time" sitting on the bench, learning the ways of the NFL game. He should be able to contribute right away.

The choice, I suppose, comes down to belief in Schaub for a #2, or a Culter at #4 (or perhaps later if he remains available and we trade down) or another college QB in round 2 or 3.

I cannot evaluate Cutler, or the other college kids, as I don't follow college very much. So as to the quality of Cutler, I'll defer to Bitonti/CBTNY/GJ&H.

But I think a 2nd is a fair price for Schaub, who I truly feel could be a franchise QB. I liked him at VA and I like what I've seen of him against the pros (he was great vs. the Pats, although to be fair it was only one game).

So since I believe Penningtons career is over (history says no QB can come back from the injuries he's suffered, and still be top-tier), and because I think Schaub is quite a bit more ready than any college player could be at this point, and because I think Schaub has the skills and brains needed, I WOULD make the deal.

Take D'Brick (or trade down for picks and perhaps Lendale White) in round #1
    Schaub for Round #2
    O-line in Rounds #3 and #4 (at our pick and at least one of our comps).

Insta-rebuilt offense. Well, we all know nothin in life is that easy, but it would be a great start IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    it should be noted that the Jets #36 pick is essentially another first rounder this year. There are 40 or so players with legitimate first round grades this year.

Im not saying Schaub isn't worth the price but I do want to clarify for people what that price entails. The year the Jets gave up a 2nd for McCareins it was a weaker crop and the Titans used the pick for Travis Leboy.

Whoever gets picked at 36, whether it's the falcs or the jets making the pick, that team will get a first round caliber player this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti
    it should be noted that the Jets #36 pick is essentially another first rounder this year. There are 40 or so players with legitimate first round grades this year.

Im not saying Schaub isn't worth the price but I do want to clarify for people what that price entails. The year the Jets gave up a 2nd for McCareins it was a weaker crop and the Titans used the pick for Travis Leboy.

Whoever gets picked at 36, whether it's the falcs or the jets making the pick, that team will get a first round caliber player this season.
    A very valid point.

Let me ask you Bit, what College QB's would you target if the Jets go elsewhere in round #1, and you are sitting at #36 looking QB.

Who's likely still there, and which do you take?

Practice Squad
    Jethead,
    Yeah that is why I'm skeptical about this, if I was Atlanta I have seen that the Schaub can play and if my starter is known for scrambling and getting hurt every other game it makes no sense to make a move with Schaub.

Like I said and WF backed me up on it, this kid can play in the league is young and would def be the biggest acquisition to our team this off-season..

I also agree with WF on Chad, I love him and respected him, but looking back no QB ever, EVER came back from 2 major shoulder injuries and was effective, let alone do I think Chad can do it with his already (shot putting ) weak throwing motion, it is time to move on people, we will not be going anywhere with Chad as our QB as sad as it was to type that I have known it since he went down this year.

Veteran

I'd do it with another second round pick

but as previously stated our 2nd rd pick is way too high right now.

Matt Schaub huh? I'd do it, it can solidify our QB position for a while, and we also still have to option of taking a QB in the draft. I can understand that AJ Feely changed the perception of backup QB's as starters, but I think its worth it. Making this trade would allow a ton a flexibilty as far as the rest of teh draft goes. Schaub in '06.

All Pro
    Matt Schaubb would be great for the Jets. Hes young, has been in the NFL on the bench a couple of years and played a little. He looked good when he started against the PATS this year. Hes 6'5 235lbs, has a strong arm, good accuracy and surprisingly mobile for a guy his size. I would love to get this guy in a trade package with Atlanta, say Schaub and Atlanta's 2006 1st round pick for Abraham, a 2006 4th round pick and 2007 3rd round pick.

As for Jay Cutler, I cant believe people are still talking about this guy with our fourth overall pick. Didnt anyone see how much he sucked against real competition in the senior ball, he couldnt even complete 33% of his passes. Jesus, I wouldnt take this guy on the first day, let alone in the first round.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by THE BURG22
    Jethead,
    Yeah that is why I'm skeptical about this, if I was Atlanta I have seen that the Schaub can play and if my starter is known for scrambling and getting hurt every other game it makes no sense to make a move with Schaub.

Like I said and WF backed me up on it, this kid can play in the league is young and would def be the biggest acquisition to our team this off-season..

I also agree with WF on Chad, I love him and respected him, but looking back no QB ever, EVER came back from 2 major shoulder injuries and was effective, let alone do I think Chad can do it with his already (shot putting ) weak throwing motion, it is time to move on people, we will not be going anywhere with Chad as our QB as sad as it was to type that I have known it since he went down this year.
    I don't know what his contract status is. Certainly Atlanta can't affort to throw $ at him with what they are paying Vick so maybe they move him for value before they lose him for nothing. If true, we should be first in line. I watched this kid closely for the last 2 years and he sure seems like the real deal to me. I'd vote for this kind of calculated risk vs. a first round gamble on an unproven college kid.

All Pro
    I wouldn't be too keen on a straight trade of our #2 for Schaub - either we get something else from Atlanta (their #3 / #4?) or we give them our #3 and a lower pick. Our #2 is very valuable this year.

What chance is there of someone like Croyle being available at our #3 pick? If we reckon he'd still be around then I'd much rather go that route - even if he sits behind Bolly for a year or two while he learns the pro game.