Thread: OT: need to vent

OT: need to vent

i was supposed to post a comment on our assigned reading for this weeks class before noon today.

I posted it at 12:06 and my professor had locked the discussion board, so it didn't get posted in time. i emailed him and asked if there was any way to receive credit and he said "no".

i am just annoyed because he always touts "grades don't matter, it is learning that is the important thing." Well, how am I learning if he doesnt post my response for others to view and query?

I know some of you will say "you are learning because in the real world, you cannot miss deadlines." My thoughts are 1. i misssed it by 6 minutes. 2. the real world has deadlines that are generally more flexible than this.

any thoughts? am i over reacting?

i went to the gym to try and work it off, but i am still upset about it.

thanks for letting me vent.

Charter JI Member
    deadlines teach responsibility...

perhaps you could claim an internet interuption in service

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by IdRatherBPlaying

i was supposed to post a comment on our assigned reading for this weeks class before noon today.

I posted it at 12:06 and my professor had locked the discussion board, so it didn't get posted in time. i emailed him and asked if there was any way to receive credit and he said "no".

i am just annoyed because he always touts "grades don't matter, it is learning that is the important thing." Well, how am I learning if he doesnt post my response for others to view and query?

I know some of you will say "you are learning because in the real world, you cannot miss deadlines." My thoughts are 1. i misssed it by 6 minutes. 2. the real world has deadlines that are generally more flexible than this.

Tell him you were reading My Pet Goat and got distracted for 6 minutes.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

1. Many deadlines in the real world are not more flexible, and
    2. You are blaming someone else for your own mistake.

Get over it and don't miss the next deadline.

Hall Of Fame
    tough love brotha, tough love

he did you a favor

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise
    tough love brotha, tough love

he did you a favor
    Agreed....In my line of business and many others our deadlines are to the second....and there's a lot of hard cash riding on the outcome of what we produce..unless you are in the position to set the deadlines and deal with the consequenses yourself then respect them always and you'll be a pretty valuable asset wherever you go.....there's few better feelings by the way than pulling out all the stops and under pressure coming in on your deadline.

Hope that helps

Hall Of Fame

what is that undergrad??

i'm in a PhD program and have a FT supervisory job and a wife and 2 kids...when i have deadlines the teacher treats them the same way and I probably have alot more on my plate then you do

honestly you need to take this as a wake up call, in your mind you may feel its not fair but if you were told what you had to do and failed to do it it is ENTIRELY your fault...I dont mean to come off as a pompous *** but I really hope you are in your 20's or less and seriously and honestly take this as a life experience even though its a minor thing...at some point you have to realize that you cant blame anyone for anything that happens to you almost ever

dont put yourself in a position in life ever ever where someone else can decide something for you, make your decisions for yourself that includes proper planning, I've been there exactly as you are and have been pissed off at the world when it was really all my fault

Veteran
    So, I read this as you telling your employer that you will decide what time you show up for work, and you will have your work done when you feel like it... Not in my company! JMO

I wanted to give advice and tell you to always mind your deadlines... then i thought to myself how I am sitting at work posting on this board (don't get me wrong... i hit my numbers in a timely fashion) but figured it would be hypocritical for me to lecture. Better luck next time man.

Veteran

"Grades don't matter" is like saying "It's not about the money"
    It's always about the grades and it's always about the money.
    Chalk it up as a life lesson. BEAR DOWN!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I know it sucks bro but a deadline is a deadline. Ya shoulda made it or had "creative evidence" to back your argument!

I'm sure some of the Patsy fans that frequent this board could twist some things around and come up with a screwy story.