Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiring of Cox Means 3/4 Defense!!!!! (merged)

All Pro

Hiring of Cox Means 3/4 Defense!!!!!

What better way to teach a 3/4 defense that from someone who has played it! Cox used to praise J. Abe when Abe was a rookie right before Cox followed Belechicken to New England.

Hall Of Fame
    Did your imaginary source tell you this?

Cox has played in both the 4-3 and 3-4. We will see what Mangini wants to do after FA and the draft.

Rookie
    Born and raised in S.Ozone Park,Queens,Ny... I now live in Tampa,Florida
    I would much rather play the 3-4. But if we plan on playing the 3-4 we better sign Abe to a long term. What kind of D-Line would B.Thomas, D.Robertson, and S.Ellis make? Now J.Abraham, D.Robertson, and S.Ellis sound a little bit more realistic... If you ask me... Abe is the best D-Lineman we have.

All Pro
    The coaches have a plan. They don't draft players and then decide what system to run. They hire coaches and select players based on a system that is already in place.

Veteran
    Where's 1 single link that the Jets have made this move?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC
    The coaches have a plan. They don't draft players and then decide what system to run. They hire coaches and select players based on a system that is already in place.
    I don't think Mangini has finished making his plan, because hee has yet to fully evaluate the current personell, IMO

All Pro
    I have no source for this info. It my gut instinct.

Hall Of Fame
    Then write IMO the hiring of cox....

or

The hiring of Cox MIGHT mean the move to the 3-4

All Pro
    Thanks for the tip Ikey

JetsInsider.com Legend
    What better way to teach a 3/4 defense that from someone who has played it! Cox used to praise J. Abe when Abe was a rookie right before Cox followed Belechicken to New England.
    Wrong.

Once again, Mangini is not dumb enough to try and play a base 3-4 defense without the proper personnel, which the Jets currently do not have.

The Jets will stay with the 4-3 next season and show some 3-4 looks in certain situations.

All League
    What's wrong with playing Abe as an OLB in the 3-4? I would think being on the D-line of a 3-4 scheme wouldn't play to his strength.

It's no secret Cox has always thought highly of Abe, but I doubt he'll have much of an input on whether they keep Abe.

Still, I'm a big fan of Cox, and think he's a great hire. Glad to see him back in NY. Say what you want about him, but he left everything he had on the field. A great presence at the least.

Makes one wonder: Did Cox come back because he had alot of respect/faith for Mangini and his potential, or was he just looking for a gig to get him back on the sidelines? Maybe both. Either way, I like the pickup.

Hall Of Fame

Good Job

Makes sense to me.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    Wrong.

Once again, Mangini is not dumb enough to try and play a base 3-4 defense without the proper personnel, which the Jets currently do not have.

The Jets will stay with the 4-3 next season and show some 3-4 looks in certain situations.

Once we get rid of Abraham, we will play the 3-4. Book it.

Ellis is perfect for 3-4. And despite what some say, Drob can play NT. He's not big enough? Complete BS. Casey Hampton is same height, same weight, he's 1 of the best NTs in the nfl. look at kelly gregg at baltimore, he's even lighter than Drob. Drob will be the nt in the 3-4. and we'll sign or draft another 3-4 Dend.

Rookie
    Abe can be out R.Symor... We have Ellis who is a solid run stoping DT and an avg pass rusher, and we have D.Robertson to plug up the middle, and D.Robertson should play alot better next season.

We have a fast aggressive LB in J.Vilma. Ya never know if we go out and draft A.J Hawk, J.Vilma and Hawk could be the inside LB's and Barton and Hobson could play the outside.

Even if we dont get A.J Hawk... U can always put M.Brown to play the middle. If we want to play the 3-4 Mangini will get it done.

Veteran
    My gut tells me I'm gonna be droppin' a duece in a couple minutes...for what it's worth.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetDUDE
    Once we get rid of Abraham, we will play the 3-4. Book it.

Ellis is perfect for 3-4. And despite what some say, Drob can play NT. He's not big enough? Complete BS. Casey Hampton is same height, same weight, he's 1 of the best NTs in the nfl. look at kelly gregg at baltimore, he's even lighter than Drob. Drob will be the nt in the 3-4. and we'll sign or draft another 3-4 Dend.
    Abraham could fit the 3-4 he came up as a linebacker, this could make him more versitle and dangerous. He could pop anywhere!

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets
    Abraham could fit the 3-4 he came up as a linebacker, this could make him more versitle and dangerous. He could pop anywhere!
    Exactly... If you think R.Symor fit great into the Pats 3-4 scheme... I dare this FO of the Jets to use Abe the same way... Boy oh boy

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich

What's wrong with playing Abe as an OLB in the 3-4? I would think being on the D-line of a 3-4 scheme wouldn't play to his strength.
    I think Abe would be a great OLB in a 3-4. He'd have to drop a few pounds for quickness, but he'd be a terror off the edge.

The problem the Jets have right now with the 3-4 is they do not have some fat load to play on the nose and they need at least 2, if not 3, LB's with some size.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX
    I think Abe would be a great OLB in a 3-4. He'd have to drop a few pounds for quickness, but he'd be a terror off the edge.

The problem the Jets have right now with the 3-4 is they do not have some fat load to play on the nose and they need at least 2, if not 3, LB's with some size.
    Good reply TX... But we do have 2 big body LB's... Mark Brown and also E.Barton, V.Hobson aint so small himself, he can lay some big time hits once in a while.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Defense WinsChampionships
    Good reply TX... But we do have 2 big body LB's... Mark Brown and also E.Barton, V.Hobson aint so small himself, he can lay some big time hits once in a while.
    Don't forget Vilma!