Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise, instead of a LT in the 1st we pick

All League

Surprise, instead of a LT in the 1st we pick

N'gata from Oregon. I wouldn't be surprised if Mangs chooses Defense if they stay with a 4-3 and even if they go 3-4 you would have the option of having the ends of Roberston and Ellis with N'gata in the middle ...and if they havent traded abe...have Abe stand up and play a rushing LB position. In NE, a lot of their 3-4's had Seymor, Wilfolk and McGinest. Now Seymor and Wilfolk are definately NT's. But they both have pass rushing ability. What that would do is give our LB more if an opportunity to makes plays. And I serious doubt teams would be able to run on us with success then. The second round I would see us picking up whatever LT that was available, or the best available player if someone unexpectly droped.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by kazrell
    N'gata from Oregon. I wouldn't be surprised if Mangs chooses Defense if they stay with a 4-3 and even if they go 3-4 you would have the option of having the ends of Roberston and Ellis with N'gata in the middle ...and if they havent traded abe...have Abe stand up and play a rushing LB position. In NE, a lot of their 3-4's had Seymor, Wilfolk and McGinest. Now Seymor and Wilfolk are definately NT's. But they both have pass rushing ability. What that would do is give our LB more if an opportunity to makes plays. And I serious doubt teams would be able to run on us with success then. The second round I would see us picking up whatever LT that was available, or the best available player if someone unexpectly droped.
    I wouldn't be upset with that pick.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan
    I wouldn't be upset with that pick.
    neither would i.

Veteran
    Bradway knows that he's going to get bashed by the NY media and fans BIG-TIME if he drafts a another defensive player, especially one on the D-Line.

Not to mention that DTs take a while to develop in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Kevin
    Bradway knows that he's going to get bashed by the NY media and fans BIG-TIME if he drafts a another defensive player, especially one on the D-Line.

Not to mention that DTs take a while to develop in the NFL.
    Ngata, could walk right into the starting line-up and play in the NFL tomorrow. Ngata would as much of a sure thing as you can get in the Draft. As long as Bradway/Mangini came away with one of the top 5 QB's and at least 3 O-lineman, they would not be bashed. It would actually be a very smart pick.

Veteran
    Ngata, could walk right into the starting line-up and play in the NFL tomorrow. It would as much of a sure thing as you can get in the Draft. As long as he came away with one of the top 5 QB's and at least 3 O-lineman, he would not be bashed.
    The same was said with D-Rob. Not, it's too early to label him as a bust, but he's obviously still developing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flashlight1

neither would i
    SAME HERE

I have other ideas, but we need a NT {BADLY!!} and if we take a 6' 5"/340 Beast I sure won't shed any tears
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 02-01-2006 at 06:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Kevin
    The same was said with D-Rob. Not, it's too early to label him as a bust, but he's obviously still developing.
    Ngata is head and shoulders above where D-Rob was when he was coming out of college and Ngata is a senior where D-Rob came out as Jr. He's also 3 inches taller then D-Rob and outweighs him by 30 lbs. Trust me, the pick would be applauded and we wouldn't be giving up 3 draft picks to get him either as we did with D-Rob.

Banned

I wouldn't be upset with that pick
    Ditto Arod .. can't cry about a 6' 5"/340 Pound monster when you need a nose tackle, and we need a nose tackle

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Ditto Arod .. can't cry about a 6' 5"/340 Pound monster when you need a nose tackle, and we need a nose tackle
    This kid is a genuine blue-chipper too Glen, who could walk right into the starting line-up and shore-up what was a very shakey run-D for us last season..

Banned

This kid is a genuine blue-chipper too Glen, who could walk right into the starting line-up and shore-up what was a very shakey run-D for us last season..
    Oh I agree ... this dude is an animal ... believe me, I'll be prefectly fine with that pick

I'd still take Cutler, but I won't cry about Ngata

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham
    Agree 100%... he's an absolute freakish monster.
    I have no problem selecting him at #4...
    In addition, his value WILL be going up.
    I really believe that after the great #'s he puts up at the scouting combine and personal workouts... there will be a lot of teams trying to move up
    to select him...

Rookie
    Yeah, we need a DT, but not that early. There is still talent left to be found in round 2 (maybe Rodrique Wright, Claude Wrotten), so no thanks, still LT or RB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pennington to Coles TD
    Yeah, we need a DT, but not that early. There is still talent left to be found in round 2 (maybe Rodrique Wright, Claude Wrotten), so no thanks, still LT or RB.
    LT maybe, although I still feel QB is a bigger need for us this draft. RB? Not in this draft my friend.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    a legitimate case could be made that Ngata is the BAP at that level - even over BRICK. He's that good. I have Brick at 4 and Ngata at 5 on my big board.

there's a good chance you could get a legit RT in the later rounds, finding amazing DT after round 1 is a huge gamble.

can this guy get after the qb? If we take him that high, he better be more then just a big fat *** to clog the run. If thats the case, I rather just try to get watson, if he falls to the second. I'm sure he's awesome though, because you guys are speaking pretty highly about him. Him next to d-rob would be nasty, with abe and ellis at the ends. Maybe we could trade down a little, pick a second and still get him.

All Pro
    I wouldn't mind the pick from a value and need perpective but one thing troubles me...

Good run-stuffing DTs do become available through FA. Ted Washington, Sam Adams, and many others have switched teams. It seems to me that great LTs almost never move....ever.

Ogden, Pace, Jones come to mind, but I can't really think of any case where a team lets a great LT get free. I could just not be remembering things clearly, but I'm thinking if you can get a franchise QB or LT in the draft, you almost have to go for it. Everything else can be acquired through FA.

Any other positions that seem to be more difficult to fill through FA?

-Dan

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by meatboy
    can this guy get after the qb? If we take him that high, he better be more then just a big fat *** to clog the run. If thats the case, I rather just try to get watson, if he falls to the second. I'm sure he's awesome though, because you guys are speaking pretty highly about him. Him next to d-rob would be nasty, with abe and ellis at the ends. Maybe we could trade down a little, pick a second and still get him.
    Can he get after the QB? I don't think he's Warren Sapp, but it's hard to say as he took on double and triple teams all year. In college, he had 61 tackles, which is really great production considering how teams game planned against him. He basically won all one on one battles, demanded to be doubled and never got forced back... When you think of Ngata, images of a mountain will come to your mind. He's a perfect 3-4 NG and could be special in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman
    Can he get after the QB? I don't think he's Warren Sapp, but it's hard to say as he took on double and triple teams all year. In college, he had 61 tackles, which is really great production considering how teams game planned against him. He basically won all one on one battles, demanded to be doubled and never got forced back... When you think of Ngata, images of a mountain will come to your mind. He's a perfect 3-4 NG and could be special in the NFL.
    They said he was absolutely manhandling the O-Lineman in the seniorbowl/practices. Ngata is as sure a draft pick as you can get. If the Jets don't go after a QB, I think Ngata is the next best pick to make at #4 in the 1st round in my opinion.

Undrafted Free Agent
    They said he was absolutely manhandling the O-Lineman in the seniorbowl/practices. Ngata is as sure a draft pick as you can get. If the Jets don't go after a QB, I think Ngata is the next best pick to make at #4 in the 1st round in my opinion.
    Uhhh - only problem with that is Ngata is a junior who declared for the draft. He did not play in the Senior Bowl.