Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where were Montana and Bradshaw at the pre game???

Hall Of Fame

Where were Montana and Bradshaw at the pre game???

Reports: Money differences leave QBs out
    ESPN.com news services

When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, turned down the invitation over money, Newsday and the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Montana, however, told ESPN2's Cold Pizza last week that he wasn't going to be at the game because his son had an important basketball game he wanted to attend.

Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money.

Former MVPs were given $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit, along with other amenities such as plane tickets, car rental and game tickets.

Sources told each paper that Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 in appearance money.

When the league balked at Montana's demands, the quarterback declined to be in attendance.

All League
    I dunno about Bradshaw, but here is an article on Montana from SF GATE

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PG9QH3GD91.DTL

Detroit -- Joe Montana, the only three-time Super Bowl Most Valuable Player, was one of only three Super Bowl MVPs who turned down the NFL's invitation to take part in pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL.

Montana also declined the league's invitation for a news conference with all the MVPs after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's Friday news conference.

"We were disappointed we weren't able to work it out with him," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

The former MVPs were guaranteed $1,000 for incidental expenses while in Detroit. The NFL also provided each former Super Bowl MVP with two first-class airplane tickets, a hotel room, a Cadillac for the weekend, two tickets to the game, two tickets to the Friday night commissioner's party, two tickets to a Saturday night party and two tickets to a Sunday tailgate party. There also were opportunities for paid appearances arranged by the NFL.

To sources close to the league said Montana refused to attend over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. Tom Brady, who has won the Super Bowl MVP award twice, handled the coin toss to start the game, making him the first active player to perform that chore.

MVPs representing 32 of the 39 previous Super Bowls were on hand. Besides the 49ers' Montana, the only ones missing were Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw (a two-time MVP), Jake Scott (a Miami defensive back who was MVP in SB VII) and the late Harvey Martin (a Dallas defensive lineman who was co-MVP in SB XII). The issue with Bradshaw also reportedly was money; Scott is on vacation in Australia.
    Last edited by LETSGOJETS; 02-06-2006 at 01:35 PM.

All Pro
    Montana's reason for not coming is legitimate. As for Bradshaw, I saw on one of the pregame shows that his house burnt down (think it was true but you never know with him because he likes to joke around) and so he was holding out for extra cash because of that reason.

Sources close to the league said three-time Super Bowl MVP Joe Montana refused to attend pregame ceremonies for Super Bowl XL over money. One of the sources said Montana asked for a guarantee of at least $100,000 for appearances if he came here, and the league said it would not make that guarantee. -- San Francisco Chronicle

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't know why everyone is calling Montana an a-hole just because he didn't go. His team wasn't even playing in the SuperBowl.

Undrafted Free Agent

Although the players have a responsibility to the NFL and NFPLA...

...after hearing Donnie Andersen (ex Packer RB) tell that his NFPLA pension is $768 month....while a similar MLB retiree gets $4K/month. I can understand the desire to get his money.

But when one hears that the NFL was giving only $1,000, ticket and flight they could have doubled that with the profits derived from the SuperBowl.

Even though we all would like that kind of offer, the NFL couldn't be considered generous. I'm just glad that Broadway Joe was part of it and represented the Jets well.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable
    I don't know why everyone is calling Montana an a-hole just because he didn't go. His team wasn't even playing in the SuperBowl.
    I wouldn't cal him an a-hole, just greedy and money driven.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    I wouldn't cal him an a-hole, just greedy and money driven.
    I think,based on the Market Fund that Harris Barton, Montana and Ronnie Lott run, they have no worries about money.

I think Joe is sending a silent messsage to the suits in NFL, that while they can get rich, parading out the Superstars to increase the profitability of their show, they had better come correct with him, a 3-time SB MVP.

They called his bluff; I'm sure he could care less.

Hall Of Fame
    namath was there, and the jets weren't

they had all but 3 SB MVP's in attendance

montana blew them off over $$

thats low-class

where would he be without the nfl ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive
    I think,based on the Market Fund that Harris Barton, Montana and Ronnie Lott run, they have no worries about money.

I think Joe is sending a silent messsage to the suits in NFL, that while they can get rich, parading out the Superstars to increase the profitability of their show, they had better come correct with him, a 3-time SB MVP.

They called his bluff; I'm sure he could care less.
    In order to send that "message" he missed out on a nice moment in history and memory with all of the other MVPs... as well as gipped the fans

Undrafted Free Agent
    You would think that being in the 'Super Bowl MVP' club would be an honor, not unlike the camaraderie of the Heisman club. In addition to all the perks the NFL handed out. Come On.

Don't even think about justifying a protest over the NFL making too much coin over his reputation.

If there is a legit reason, OK. But from what we've heard, I'm sad to say..
    "Say It ain't so, Joe" ( Please excuse the use of this line).

Banned
    Bradshaw hates the Steeler organization.

Montana made a hell of alot of more money during his career then the early SB mvps including Namath. Montana was still playing during FA and made a half way decent buck when you add in his commercials he has done Montana should have shown up. By him doing that it shows just what kind of person he is he values money more then the fans.

All League
    Charter JI Member

he looked AWESOME sportin that JET JACKET

All Pro
    Joe Montana = Greatest QB of All Time

And

Joe Montana = Scumbag

Years ago Montana showed up my college bar one afternoon and proceeded to get wasted. He sloppily and rudely hit on every college girl there (who knows where his wife and children were.) He finally was asked to leave because he was angering several of the girls' boyfriends.

I don't doubt that he tried to extort money for what was supposed to be a classy superbowl tribute. He doesn't appear to be a man of principle.

Waterboy
    Thats funny, Dan Patrick said today on espn radio that when he spoke to Joe M . on friday he said he was leaving then so he he could attend his son's basketball game over the weekend, He said it was a common thing for Montana to be home for his kids games, Sounds like the NFL just decided to leak some crap since he didnt really care anout being there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brenjetsfan
    he looked AWESOME sportin that JET JACKET

Hi Bren

If you don't mind, I'm going to steal -- err-- borrow that pic for my sig.

Thanks in advance

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Montana called Steven A Smith last night to say the $100,000 story is totally false. Anyone else hear it?

People are reporting it as fact which would SUCK it wasn't true.

Moderator VIP Visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBound
    In order to send that "message" he missed out on a nice moment in history and memory with all of the other MVPs... as well as gipped the fans
    I don't know...how priceless is it to be the "Golden Oldie", when you can watch your son play hoops. He's won THREE SB MVP's and has the best performance overall in 4 games. His last was his best. He's supposed to be there for a yawner, in DETROIT, in February...he lives in Napa County, absolutely the prettiest place in California.

Gipping the fans is one thing...he's given them more than they ever got from someone else. I respect your opinion on the fans, jmo.

Undrafted Free Agent
    The possibility of the 100k story being false would suck as far as shoddy journalism is concerned, but....

40th Superbowl Anniverary celebration is enough reason for him to be there. I could accept him not wanting to appear at a card show two days before superbowl 42, but how many times will football fans all across the world be able to see Bart Starr, Broadway Joe, Joe Moneytana, etc. all together?

If my father was in that situation I'd be mad if he didn't go to the superbowl to see my sandlot game!

I'm sure the NFL has the resources to get him to the field by 6:15. What time and where was his kids game anyway?